• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Is there a Guide on different types of Bras?

Guest TracieV3

Guest TracieV3

Hello everyone,

First please note that I have searched this forum and other places on information on bras. I have found a wealth of information on where to buy bras and how to figure bra sizes.

I even found a few calculators on figuring a person's bra size.

The problem is that I cannot find any information that explains the differences and benefits of the over half dozen different types of bras out there.

How does the bra feels when worn? What fabrics are the best? What are the draw backs to the different types of bras. Which ones are adjustable? How adjustable? And Which types of bras are not adjustable? What color bra to get with what shirt, so the bra colors don't show through the shirt?

I have a lot of questions, but have run out of places to find the answers.

The reason I am asking this is because I have been on hormones for almost a year now and my breasts are close to at B cups, though given the size of my body, you would not notice by looking.

I am no where near passable, nor ready to present myself as a woman in public. I live in a rural area. I cannot get to any women's intimate stores. And to many people locally know me to try to shop locally.

Still, I need to get a bra in a few weeks, even if I just wear it at home, so my breasts don't start to sag.

I already found a few places to buy bras online. For example, ebay has a surprising nice selection and good search engine on bras.

The problem is I don't know which type is for what.

I am looking for a bra that is conform and I can adjustable. Something to start with and work for there.

So, please, could you here on Laura's Playground help me with some advice on selecting a bra for myself.

Thank you,

Tracie

• Admin

I found two sites with good information, Tracie. One or both should meet your needs. I can't, due to site rules, post links to these, but if you Google "bra primer" and go to the Oprah.com site, and Google Bra Basics and go to the Bra Basics web site, you're there.

HUGS

Carolyn Marie

Guest TracieV3

I found two sites with good information, Tracie. One or both should meet your needs. I can't, due to site rules, post links to these, but if you Google "bra primer" and go to the Oprah.com site, and Google Bra Basics and go to the Bra Basics web site, you're there.

HUGS

Carolyn Marie

Thank you, Carolyn. Could you pm me the links?

Also, it would be nice to get a few opinions on different types of bras here on this forum.

Thanks for the website advice Carolyn :)

They weren't hard to find if you just type in Bra basics and Bra primer on google. The first or second result on the list for me.

Unfortunately I didn't really find them as helpful as I was hoping. I want to know about things like push up bras and such. Most of the info is very vague and generalized. Doesn't go into as much detail as I was hoping, but it was still helpful and better than nothing.

~Jade.

• Admin

I did some more Googling this morning and found an even better site. If you Google "types of bras" the first hit should say something like "31 types of bra designs and their functions." It's a really good site with examples of everything. I learned a whole bunch myself. I've PM'd you all the links.

HUGS

Carolyn Marie

Guest erica970

Racheal ray did a segment on proper bra fitting and what each one does...im sure if u go to her website you can find the show...hope this helps

Erica

HUGS

Carolyn Marie

:P Carolyn beat me to it, tehe, :) I was going to say something similar but Carolyn basically got it all... :)

Guest ZoeG360

Some time ago a trans woman named Wendy wrote "The Bra Manifesto" which is a guide written "mostly for men, but useful for women also" Google that.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Damond

Basics I would think... There's underwire bras, and ones without underwire. Underwire has a stiff wire at the bottom cup of the bra and can feel tighter. I've never worn bras without underwire, but I think the difference is in comfort. Underwire is more of an uncomfortable feeling for most; I don't think there's any difference in support.

If you're growing still, you want to work from the inside out on hooks. If you can (as in it's not too tight) you start with the third and last hook. If or when that hook is too tight, you go to the middle one (that's where I tend to stay) and the furthest hook is close to needing to go up a new size.

Colors... when wearing light colored shirts, it's best to go with a white bra. Black will show through. Black bras you can wear with, black or darker color shirts. Also if you wear a thin shirt, best to go for a light color. White shirt = white bra. anything else will show. Black is more often worn with dress clothing/dresses.

Strapless bra's I don't think are of any use, unless you are wearing a halter top or a strapless dress/shirt of some kind.

Bra straps are adjustable, just like maybe a purse or bag strap. You can loosen or tighten them over your shoulders, and once you find the right place, you don't generally have to mess with them anymore.

If you get push up bras, what that does it put extra padding in the bottom of the cup of the bra to push up.

If you get a padded bra, it's... well, extra padding to make your breasts look bigger.

There are different levels of push up/padding most of the time. there are "slight push", "medium push" "mega push" and such depending on how much of a push up you want. I would guess the same for padded bras though I have never worn them.

If there's any more to bras than that, well... then you know more than me lol. Good job :P

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Tasi

Actually, just one comment on Damond's post. A white bra will show through on a light-colored shirt. Go to a nude color. Actually we tend to know more about bras than many GGs. My wife didn't even know what a shelf bra was :huh: Hugs.....Tasi

Guest Tasi

Tracie. Couple other suggestions. The most important requirement in a good bra is the band fit as it carries 80% of the support for your bust. If you are an in between size like a 35, go one size down to a 34. Now I wear D inserts, normally a 46D, but I went to a 44 C and found a much better fit. Of course like in all womens clothes, there are no standards and the variations can be great. The cup size will vary with the band size too. You might want to look at a T-shirt bra. They are very popular and give a smooth line under your top. Google on best bra for small bust-Good Housekeeping. It has most of the features that are important to you. Hope this helps. Hugs....Tasi