• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Can't stop smiling :-)

Guest jaymie

Guest jaymie

I have to share an amazing experience I had yesterday. I went shopping at a store in town that advertises as trans friendly. When I walked in the store was empty (except for the girl working there) and was greeted with a friendly hello. She asked what brought me in and I nervously responded that I was looking for wigs, heels, blouses, skirts, dresses, breast forms and gaffes. She was very professional and asked me about sizes, styles etc. We began picking out some items and a man walked in...very discretely she asked if I was comfortable and I indicated I wasn't. She went to assist him and then came back to me once he had finished buying some 'novelty' items. I explained I was looking for some items to build a wardrobe and she began to make some suggestions. She helped me pick a wig and after trying a few we decided on one. She told me I looked very natural and pretty with the wig and told me to feel free to continue wearing it if I felt comfortable (I did...and was elated to find something that felt/looked natural). I asked her if it was ok if I could use my homemade breast forms (which I had with me) and she said "of course". I began to try on some of the clothes we picked out and she gave me honest feedback. She told me certain combos were 'cute' and others she suggested weren't working or did not give me a feminine look. I was sooo happy to get her feedback. I told her that I would love to come back with some makeup and accessories to see how the 'looks' we picked out would go. When trying on a few more 'fitted' items I expressed some discomfort with my tummy ( I felt like I was having a 'fat day') and she was honest telling me that she thought some of the items were fine and others she agreed, adding that lots of women wearing fitted clothes were self conscious...I was floored and elated...she viewed me as a woman! (or at least had the courtesy of treating me in that manner). We chatted for awhile and then it was time for them to close and me to take off. I explained that I wouldn't be purchasing anything today. She said not to worry dear, that these were MAJOR life changing purchases. For some reason I then began to tear up and told her that I have always had the feeling that I was female....I was outing myself to a complete stranger. I also thanked her for her discretion when the other customer came in. She gave me a hug and told me that she was happy to be of assistance and that she thought I was a very brave woman (WOW! :-) ) for making the first step. She said that I have to start somewhere and that she was happy to help. She assured me that all the staff there were very professional, open and discrete and that she was glad that she had made me comfortable enough to open up to her....that that was actually more important to her than making the sale. She again expressed that she and the other staff would be more than happy to assist me in my journey where ever it takes me and that life is too short to be concerned with what others thought etc. I left unbelievably happy and look forward to returning to make some purchases. She gave me faith that if I progress into transition, there will be understanding people who accept me and will help me along the way. I don't remember the last time I was that happy and comfortable with myself. Just had to share!

Hugs,

Jaymie

Guest Shari

Jaymie,

That is a wonderful experience. You're very courageous.

Woo hoo, just think about all the pretty things you're going to buy!

Shari

• Admin

What an amazing sales person, and wonderful store you found. I could not be happier for you, Jaymie. I have a feeling you're going to be a regular customer. Good for you, and for them.

HUGS

Carolyn Marie

Jaymie,

That is soooo COOL!!!

I'd be a shoppin' fool with a place like that around, congrats on taking such a BIG step...

Good to hear you are having fun with the being 'trans' thang, good for you!

Love, Svenna

Guest Lizzie McTrucker

Awww! That was a really nice story and I'm glad you shared it with us. She sincerely cared about your comfort when someone else came in which really shows that she wanted this to be a really positive experience for you. I don't blame you for getting emotional, I mean you're in there looking at some key purchases, which I agree, are life changing and you're in a completely supportive and accepting environment!