• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

A Wonderful Experience

JenniferB

I just started going to a new fitness center that just opened up. I had signed up a couple months ago at a table outside the gym. And the first day I started to use the facility, they remembered my name by sight. WOW! The staff was super friendly and went out of their way to show me around and help me whenever I ask any questions. Plus they always call me Jennifer and ma'am.

So tonight was the third time I went to the facility and I wanted to talk with them about the locker rooms and how they didn't need to worry because I wasn't going to use them, since I have both male and female parts right now. What they told me is I have every right to use the women's locker room because I'm legally female and if I run into any problems to let them know. WOW! Now I need to find something that covers up the male part that I can use in the shower.

Every time I run into one of the staff, they call me by name, including outside when I was walking to my car. Also one of them told me that this place is for people who don't like going into a stereotypical gym. They treat everyone like a special human being.

The last thing is I've already met a couple women while sitting in the living room furniture they have set up in a corner. I now have a couple friends at the gym and haven't even gone there a week yet.

One of the staff members was trying to persuade me to take a Zumba class and to dance. Maybe another time. What I can't wait to do is to try the hydro-massage on Saturday.

I've never been in a place like this that is so progressive. Unfortunately the fitness center's main location is in the San Diego area, and not nationally (yet).

{{{Hugs}}}

Jenny

Guest Happyhappyjoyjoy

Wow! That sounds amazing Jen! They sound like delightful people, and no problem with locker rooms? Where can I sign up!?

• Admin

Absolutely awesome, Jennifer! Those guys are going to make a mint if they treat everyone like that. Nothing beats great customer service. And you, miss, are a great customer!

HUGS

Carolyn Marie

Jen,

Very COOL!!!

Seems like a great deal, for sure...

Thanks for sharing the good news, the world seems to be becoming a better place every day, a little bit at a time...

Smiles and Fitness! Svenna

Guest Ney'ite

Wow Jennifer what a wonderful experience! InCLUDing the locker rooms - that is just aweseomsauce you can just be you and not made to feel different!

• Forum Moderator

I never liked gyms because of the horrible smells and memories of my youth in PE. Thats sounds like a new and wonderful world. Might be fun to tighten the tummy.

Thanks for the positive,

Charlie

Guest Guest_SL

I never liked gyms because of the horrible smells and memories of my youth in PE. Thats sounds like a new and wonderful world. Might be fun to tighten the tummy.

Thanks for the positive,

Charlie

Everyone is posting my thoughts this morning. Nice to read.

SL

• Forum Moderator

Very happy for you Jennifer.

Those folks running this place are smart business people, glad to hear of such places.

Enjoy the workouts as yourself, very sweet indeed.

Hugs

Cindy -

Guest Anira

ok i GOTTA know *lives in san diego* where is said gym's main facility? and i'm wondering if the gym's main facility is as progressive and positive as the one you are attending!!

Even though I was told I can use the woman's locker room, I'm still going to be very cautious. I know if there is trouble things can turn quickly, especially if the fitness center loses business.

I will ask for a tour of the locker room. I'm looking to see if there are showers have stalls where I can isolate myself, and that I can change in enough privacy. If I feel it can work I'm going to buy a terry cloth wrap.

I will need to hide myself when I change clothes. If I feel there is any chance of getting caught I'm only going to use the locker room as a bathroom and a locker to store my purse.

All it takes is one.

Jenny

Guest Elizabeth K

Even though I was told I can use the woman's locker room, I'm still going to be very cautious. I know if there is trouble things can turn quickly, especially if the fitness center loses business.

I will ask for a tour of the locker room. I'm looking to see if there are showers have stalls where I can isolate myself, and that I can change in enough privacy. If I feel it can work I'm going to buy a terry cloth wrap.

I will need to hide myself when I change clothes. If I feel there is any chance of getting caught I'm only going to use the locker room as a bathroom and a locker to store my purse.

All it takes is one.

Jenny

Honey - Dee Jay and I are both pre-op. We use the ladies locker room here at the apartment gym all the time! It's no big deal. Women running around naked in front of each other is a myth - we are ALL very discrete around each other! Women's locker rooms are not even laid out like men's locker rooms.

So go in and use those facilities like you belong there (and you do). No one will know you aren't natal because no one will see you!

Lizzy

• Forum Moderator

Liz is so right. Even as a kid in PE everybody in the mens locker room was trying to be at least somewhat modest. The ladies rooms have stalls and a sense that modesty is completely normal. I felt so strange in the ladies room or dressing room to start but with just a little modesty i've no problem and you won't either.

Hugs, Charlie