• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Insurance Exists?

Guest JohnV

Guest JohnV

So, I guess I've never really done enough research into the financial side of transitioning, other than I know it's extremely costly.

Does any insurance even exists for the different procedures/hormone treatments done? I'm really not sure, and with an 80k college tuition soon to be hanging over my head, I don't know if I'll have any funds to even have hopes of transitioning anytime soon.

Thanks for the info

-JohnV

Guest Donna Jean

John.......

I'm sorry, Dear Heart....but, most insurance plans do not cover any of the things we need....

MTF or FTM, we may be able to get HRT from the insurance we have, but surgeries ? About a 2% chance....

It's difficult and expensive.....

Dee Jay

Guest JohnV

John.......

I'm sorry, Dear Heart....but, most insurance plans do not cover any of the things we need....

MTF or FTM, we may be able to get HRT from the insurance we have, but surgeries ? About a 2% chance....

It's difficult and expensive.....

Dee Jay

Its alright. I wasn't expecting much. I hear in politics a lot of fighting for insurance for transgendered individuals so I figured that it was non-existant/didnt cover a lot.

Guest Donna Jean

My insurance specifically said in it's manual....."No sex change".....I thought it crude..but, that's exactly what it said...

But, I got my HRT......

Why?

Because my doctor coded the office visits as "Hormone Imbalance"......(and that was paid)

Just sayin'

Dee Jay

My company covers all expenses except hormones. That includes GCS. But when the new health law takes effect in 2014 that could change.

Jenny

Guest Kelly-087

My insurance specifically said in it's manual....."No sex change".....I thought it crude..but, that's exactly what it said...

But, I got my HRT......

Why?

Because my doctor coded the office visits as "Hormone Imbalance"......(and that was paid)

Just sayin'

Dee Jay

There's that. I believe my insurance will code it GID and accept the claim. I guess I can't answer until I talk to my doctor, but that's the general experience from others who got HRT through the same provider. The few that I've found.

Guest Raging Shadow

my hormonw blocker and now my hormones are covered. I think my DR coded it as precosious puberty (I was 13) and hormone imbalence or similar