• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Transitioning and the Border

Guest ValerieD

Guest ValerieD

I have one or two trips to Canada this summer and I'm curious how transitioning affects crossing the border (by land) since I'll be going full time in a week and a half. I don't know when my name change will go through so there's the possibility of crossing without any documentation updated (especially since getting all documentation updated is going to take a long time, since some things have to be done sequentially) or missing a trip. Also, I was thinking about upgrading my driver's licence to an enhanced one and not updating the passport as the state department will only issue provisional two year ones and it would be expensive and a hassle to have to update it every other year! Would that be an issue?

Guest Donna Jean

I don't even want to address all the questions you've asked...

Just.....You know that you need a passport to go to Canada now, eh?..

Huggs

Dee Jay

Guest ValerieD

I've read that an enhanced DL works for land crossings (note: only a few states have these, and all have land borders with either Canada or Mexico), which is all I've ever used.

I do plan on contacting customs for both countries in any case, but I was wondering if anyone here had experience.

Guest amanda_s

Hi donnajean "EH" LOL don't forget to pack for snow its cold up here and be nice to the polar bears

Amanda

Guest Donna Jean

I was just kidding...I used to live in Ohio and could be in Canada over the "Peace Bridge" in a couple of hours...

Not that way anymore..,,

Dee Jay

Guest ValerieD

Depends on the crossing and time of day/year. The last time I was in Canada I crossed at the Ogdensburg-Prescott bridge and it wasn't long, though it was outside of tourist season and all the crossings in northern NY with the exception of the Thousand Islands Bridge and I-87/A-15 are pretty minor.

It gets pretty cold in Potsdam too! I guess that's what happens when a place is within a half hour of the border.

I don't know what that "two year provisional" thing is about on the passport that you mention. As far as gender markers go a full passport is now possible.

If you have a passport, that is the best bet. Whatever your legal name is, that is what your gonna have to travel accross the border under.

I did overseas travel mid transition with passport photo that looked absolutely nothing like me. Got some triple takes but it worked. Those were pre 9/11 days however and things have gotten more stringent.

Best bet is to be up front, have documentation to cover yourself. You try pulling something sneaky and they pick up on it, it will be much worse.

Guest KarenLyn

I've been across the border several times and they didn't even blink at the mismatched gender markers. I had plenty of time so went with the passport instead of the enhanced drivers license.

Karen

• Forum Moderator

I don't know what that "two year provisional" thing is about on the passport that you mention. As far as gender markers go a full passport is now possible.

If you have a passport, that is the best bet. Whatever your legal name is, that is what your gonna have to travel accross the border under.

I did overseas travel mid transition with passport photo that looked absolutely nothing like me. Got some triple takes but it worked. Those were pre 9/11 days however and things have gotten more stringent.

Best bet is to be up front, have documentation to cover yourself. You try pulling something sneaky and they pick up on it, it will be much worse.

"In June 2010, the State Department announced a new policy to issue passports in a person’s current gender when either a previous passport or other personal documentation presented by an applicant reflects a different gender. Under the new policy, a transgender person can obtain a passport reflecting his or her current gender by submitting a certification from a physician confirming that he or she has had appropriate clinical treatment for gender transition.

Under the new policy, you can obtain a passport with an updated gender if you have had clinical treatment determined by your doctor to be appropriate in your case to facilitate gender transition. It does not matter whether or not you have previously obtained a passport listing another gender. If you are just beginning transition and need to travel abroad, you can obtain a two-year provisional passport. (The State Department calls it “limited validity” though it has all the force of a regular passport but is only good for two years.) Once your doctor and you believe you have had clinical treatment appropriate in your case, you can obtain a full, regular passport."

(Per TS Roadmap. I didn't check the State Department's site.)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Who's Online   4 Members, 0 Anonymous, 58 Guests (See full list)

• Mmindy
    • April Marie
    • Ladypcnj
    • SamC
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

BUGFIEND
    Newest Member
    BUGFIEND

1. Bobbijean
      Bobbijean
    2. Bryan
      Bryan
      (61 years old)
    3. jlw5ju
      jlw5ju
      (27 years old)
    4. ladykirabellum
      ladykirabellum
      (47 years old)
    5. Lizzie17
      Lizzie17
    • KatieSC
      April, Those are beautiful. You may want to check out the offerings from this company, Trisha Waldron Designs. I discovered her jewelry a few years ago when I was at the Rapid City Regional Airport in Rapid City, SD. They have a gift shop there that had her jewelry. See link: https://trishawaldrondesigns.com/home/
    • Mmindy
      I love that @April Marie smiles. 
    • April Marie
      Discovering a woman in the mirror.
    • KatieSC
      Heavens to Murgatroyd! What if Governor Abbott has installed genitalia scanners on the commodes? I suppose they could collect, catalog, and then with the genitalia scanner, activate the Klaxon, the red lights, and then initiate the barriers to contain you until the police arrive. Weird times, and weirder politicians, call for extreme measures. All of this caused by you wanting a gladder bladder. Woe is the world...   On a more real world note, be careful Birdie. Someone may snitch you out just to see what happens. 
    • Mmindy
      Eye sparkle isn’t from glass ball?
    • April Marie
      Congratulations on the ear piercing @MirandaB!! You'll get over the concerns about sleeping on them or how they're healing quickly. I found myself scouring Amazon and eBay for different types of earrings so I had them on hand when I was healed. My favorite earrings are a pair of flame painted brass feathers and I have a pair of leaves I love, too. So many possibilities once you're healed!!!     @Mmindy- I totally understand the puppy routine. We've has our girl for a week now and I'm amazed at how quickly she's learning. She is totally acclimated to her crate now. She also sleeps 6 or 7 hours each night. Yesterday, she started going to the door and sitting when she needed to go out to the bathroom. Still, it's play for an hour or so and then crash. It's as if you can see her growing as you look at her.   I have been absent a lot here - so much going on with my wife's mother now in hospice, my aunt that I've been helping for over a year now moved locally into skilled nursing and the new puppy not to mention the normal things around our house. I get way behind in cutting the grass and am just finally getting the pool ready. Ugh.    Can someone please figure out how to add more time to the day?   I miss the interaction here. But, I'll get things settled soon and be back to my normal....as if I'm at all normal.    Have an awesome day, everyone!!!    
    • Mmindy
      Good morning everyone,    Parker started to make noises in his crate with a chew toy at 04:50. I was able to catnap until 06:00 when I had to get out of bed. In my pjs I took Parker outside for a run around the backyard. Gave him his first bowl of puppy kibble and water, then started brewing my coffee. He finished off his kibble and played tag with Sheldon (male cat) in and around the dining room table and chairs. I’m on my second cup of coffee and they are both asleep.    @Birdie you are such an inspiration, be safe and go with confidence into the bathroom of your choice. Most people understand you just need to…   Hugs,   Mindy🌈🐛🏳️‍⚧️🦋
    • KatieSC
      Now for another push downward from a certain political group in Congress. There is an effort by Congressional Rs to cut funding to any nonprofit group supporting LGBTQ individuals. As reported on the NBC News website (https://www.msnbc.com/opinion/msnbc-opinion/house-republicans-lgbtq-nonprofits-rcna152753), the house appropriations committee is attempting to block Economic Development Initiative funding to any group helping us. Don't you just feel the love. Apparently that loving former vice president we had during Trump's presidency, does not believe that public funding should not be providing funding for at-risk transgender minors. One must wonder how much more hateful some of these individuals will become.
    • Ladypcnj
      There are some housing assistance links on the internet, but I would recommend contacting an Lgbtq+ community support group in your area, they would know places that are safer for her.
    • April Marie
      Seeing a sparkle in my eyes.
    • Ladypcnj
      Yes, I have however, her situation wasn't about housing, but rather getting out of a bad relationship. I took her in until it was safe for her to leave, and now she's happy spending time with her daughter. 
    • Heather Shay
    • Heather Shay
      Want to help disowned MTF, unsure.
    • Heather Shay
      Have you ever helped a LGBTQ+ person with emeergency housing when their parents threw her out?   We have a Kenyon MTF who just graduated yesterday in need of housing as her parents disowned her and she doesn't have a job yet. I want to help but am not sure I can.
    • Heather Shay
  • Upcoming Events

Contact TransPulse

TransPulse can be contacted in the following ways:

Email: Click Here.

To report an error on this page.

Legal

Your use of this site is subject to the following rules and policies, whether you have read them or not.

Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
DMCA Policy
Community Rules

Hosting

Upstream hosting for TransPulse provided by QnEZ.

Sponsorship

Special consideration for TransPulse is kindly provided by The Breast Form Store.