• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Shame On Colorado Republican Leaders

Guest Mia J

Guest Mia J

A bill that would have provided for domestic partnerships for same sex couples died last night at midnight when the republican leader kept playing games with politics so it would never reach a vote.

This bill had passed the senate and two committees and had enough votes in the house for it to pass.

But it had to be acted on in the house before midnight and the republican leader used tactics to delay it being voted on.

This is a bill that most people in Colorado had said they supported.

There is a chance that the Governor will call for a special session and many other bills did not get addressed because of the delays. This years session ends today and any bill needs two passes through the house so any bill that did not make it yesterday is effectively dead.

Here is a link to the story.

http://www.9news.com/news/article/267105/339/Civil-unions-bill-dies-in-House-after-impasse

We had so much hope that it would go through this year.

Mia

Guest Donna Jean

A real shame..........

I'm sorry that happened....

Well, we certainly know which party supports us and which one wants us to cease to exist.....

Dee Jay

Guest Jo-88

Well, we certainly know which party supports us and which one wants us to cease to exist.....

Yea as if there was any doubt... that in and of itself is a shame, I am a conservative republican because of my views on fiscal policy, but I am disgusted with how the repub party treats social issues. Its like I cant win for loosing... cant have my cake and eat it too, very frustrating.

• Admin

There are plenty of conservative, Bible Belt Democarats who are just as prejudiced.

Discrimination, prejudice and hate are not the exclusive domain of any one party. There is always plenty to go around. :(

Carolyn Marie

• Admin

The game playing is what annoys me the most, it could have been brought to an end by either side if they had cared to. I would much have preferred to have them VOTE against the measure. A constitutional amendment I would support would require a VOTE on every bill in any legislative house that is introduced in that session and left on the table even as the session draws to a statutory close. They don't get paid for overtime, and they pay for their own custodial care until the work is done, however it works.

Guest Mia J

Yes Vicky that is what really bothers me.

It had passed the Senate which is controlled by the Dems.

It passed the first committee that is also ruled by the Dems.

Then It passed the second committee which is ruled by the republicans because one of the republicans voted for it.

The house is Republican controlled by a very small margin but there had been enough republicans announce that they would vote for it that it would have passed.

Frank McNulty the Republican house leader basiclly called a break and walked out of the house floor for over two hours last night which left the house no time to vote on the bill when he cam back.

He has been very outspoken against this bill and I think he did it only because he knew it would have passed. By doing his delay he also left over 40 other bills that did not get voted on.

Mia

I used to split hairs over the few Reps that supported LGBT issues and the few Dems that don't...

I also used to split hairs over what are 'conservative' views and 'liberal' views...

These days, I call a spade a spade...

IF ones political affiliation DENIES ones right to exist, how in sweet jeebus can one sleep at night, knowing that one is SUPPORTING institutionalized bigotry against themselves and people just like ones self????

I don't know...

BUT, such a contradiction belies deeper issues, the kind that therapy can hopefully eventually address...

Not tryin' to stir the pot, but dang, I just don't know how some folks can look at themselves in a mirror, or sleep at night...

Too disturbing for me to ponder for long, for sure...

But, whatever...

Svenna

Guest KimberlyF

There are plenty of conservative, Bible Belt Democarats who are just as prejudiced.

Discrimination, prejudice and hate are not the exclusive domain of any one party. There is always plenty to go around. :(

Carolyn Marie

That's about the size of it. And every group has a worth to a party. The Dems value the union vote more than the LGBT vote. The vast majority of union construction workers I work with-in a major Northern US city (Chicago) aren't thrilled with having women on the job.

When people talk to me I ask them who do they think I worry more about for the safety of me and my family-country club Republicans or union Democrats?

The best thing this country could do is move from the party system and have politicians run on their own platforms instead of running on making the other party look bad.

Guest Donna Jean

The best thing this country could do is move from the party system and have politicians run on their own platforms instead of running on making the other party look bad.

Absolutely.......

And get rid of the electoral collage, too....

Dee Jay

Guest Jo-88

IF ones political affiliation DENIES ones right to exist, how in sweet jeebus can one sleep at night, knowing that one is SUPPORTING institutionalized bigotry against themselves and people just like ones self????

Unfortunately I think it is a case of choosing the lesser of two evils (as defined by the supporter). Also keep in mind that some of us have bigger, more pressing concerns about the world we live in than someones opinion on our lifestyle (for me its the shrinking job market, and ballooning student debt crisis... which affects every aspect of my life). Besides who says that being a member of the LGBT community automatically means you have to be liberal... can one not be socially liberal but fiscally conservative? I think so.

Guest Jo-88

Absolutely.......

Dee Jay

I agree entirely, the electoral college is a joke, so is the caucus/primary system used in the party nominations (its so easily rigged and manipulated it is just sad). It would be nice to see the parties abolished but I think it is only natural for a population to polarize so they can get into the "us vs them" mindset... I think politics are like sports, some people root for the blue team and some for the red and most have no idea why they support the team they do.

Guest Donna Jean

Also keep in mind that some of us have bigger, more pressing concerns about the world we live in than someones opinion on our lifestyle (for me its the shrinking job market, and ballooning student debt crisis... which affects every aspect of my life).

I think most people vote for issues that directly concern them the most....like your age and concern for the shrinking job market, and ballooning student debt crisis, issues that directly affect you....

The job situation doesn't concern me as much (I'm retired) but, same sex marriage does concern me because it may directly affect me...

I don't think it's hard to see why many people vote as they do....no surprise there....

Dee Jay

Guest ~DeeDee~

Absolutely.......

Dee Jay

I agree entirely, the electoral college is a joke, so is the caucus/primary system used in the party nominations (its so easily rigged and manipulated it is just sad). It would be nice to see the parties abolished but I think it is only natural for a population to polarize so they can get into the "us vs them" mindset... I think politics are like sports, some people root for the blue team and some for the red and most have no idea why they support the team they do.

Very well said Jodie, I have always been independent because of this reason. The Colorado GOP is a rude bunch that leaves something to be desired. ( I am a Colorado native ) The good news is that due to their pandering this year, and the total disrespect to Ron Paul and his loyal followers, many Paulites have become active in the party now. These are not your bible banging social conservatives of the past, rather a more fiscally conservative, libertarian leaning, socially liberal group that believes that EVERYONE has the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, in whatever form they may choose as long as they do not harm others. Stay tuned, and open minded, as things are definitely getting shaken up at a grassroots level, and as much as the establishment hates it, both DEM and REPUB, ordinary people like you and I are taking things into their own hands.

Love yall'

Dee Dee

Guest Mia J

There is still hope. Governor Hickenlooper has called for a special session for the house to come back and clear the bills that did not get voted on.

I am an independent I refuse to be locked into just voting for a party and would rather vote for each candidate for what they stand for and their past record.

Mia

Guest Jo-88

There is still hope. Governor Hickenlooper has called for a special session for the house to come back and clear the bills that did not get voted on.

Good for him! at least someone is standing up and demanding that the legislature get off their butts and do their job.

Unfortunately I think it is a case of choosing the lesser of two evils (as defined by the supporter). Also keep in mind that some of us have bigger, more pressing concerns about the world we live in than someones opinion on our lifestyle or me its the shrinking job market, and ballooning student debt crisis... which affects every aspect of my life). Besides who says that being a member of the LGBT community automatically means you have to be liberal... can one not be socially liberal but fiscally conservative? I think so.

If you think this is the core issue at stake, their 'opinions on our LIFESTYLE', then Dear, I just don't know what to say...

Anyway, I have learned that these kind of 'quote' and 're-quote' threads often lead to hard feelings and dissent, so I am gonna have to step away from this topic now...

No more political talk from me today...

Best to you and the job market!

:) Svenna

Guest Jo-88

I don't know...

BUT, such a contradiction belies deeper issues, the kind that therapy can hopefully eventually address...

So if someone has a different political view than you, they need therapy? hmm... I may be taking that the wrong way so please correct me if I am.

All I am saying is that for me, the only political issue that matters is the fact that my generation has more debt and fewer job opportunities than any generation alive, that is of number one importance to me, everything else is secondary, including LGBT rights issues (thats not to say I don't think they are extremely important, because I do, it comes down to the lesser of two evils argument). For me not being homeless and hungry, not having enough money to transition, and not having my parents (cosigners) sued into the ground is more important than anything. At this point who I can and can't marry is of little consequence to me (obviously you do care though, and I understand and respect that because that is your priority).

I hope this is a good example of why and how certain LGBT supporting people can still support candidates and parties that don't necessarily support them or their lifestyle... its not like these people don't care about the issue or the people it affects, its just that not everyone has the same priorities and they vote accordingly.

Guest Jo-88

final note, the most ridiculous aspect to this whole issue is that the speaker of the house intentionally called a recess to make sure this and other bills didn't get voted on, the man basically took the legislative process into his own hands ignoring what the representatives wanted. I think it was the right thing to do for the governor to force them to reopen the session and vote on the remaining bills... in fact I think it should be mandatory on both the local, state, and federal level that any bill that is prepared before a certain due date HAS TO BE voted on before the session can close, I mean we are paying these people, might as well make them do their job right?

Guest ~DeeDee~

I don't necessarily disagree with that Jodie. I do think there should be a limit on bills that are allowed in a session though as most lawmakers don't even read the majority of them to due to the insane amount of information. So they just vote on things they don't understand, or in this case, stalemate.

Guest Jo-88

I don't necessarily disagree with that Jodie. I do think there should be a limit on bills that are allowed in a session though as most lawmakers don't even read the majority of them to due to the insane amount of information. So they just vote on things they don't understand, or in this case, stalemate.

For sure, it would have to be a bit more complex than I described it (I was going for a general idea, not specifics)... still its sad to see politicians gaming the system like the speaker did here, who gave him the right to make decisions for the entire state?