• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Dont know what to do

Guest angela13

Guest angela13

im very sure im an alcoholic. everytime i have an episode of dysphoria, i drink to make it go away, i really dont want to drink because it is making me lose my friends but at the same time i read that people that drink as much as i do need to go through detox and im afraid i might die if i do it on my own. i dont know what to do

• Admin

Call your health care provider and be honest with them about why you are calling. Alcohol Detoxification SHOULD NEVER be done alone. I do not know your age or some other things, but among other things, detox from alcohol can cause big trouble with blood pressure and some other items such as your kidneys. I went through detox in a medical facility and they are usually very compassionate, but watchful. Mine lasted four days, and then there was a program I was put into on an outpatient basis that lasted for another 4 weeks of day work, and then another few months of programs and health care monitoring. Mine lead to my getting Gender Therapy, and now RLE. Call your local emergency hospital if you do not have an actual health care progam with its own hospitals, you will get the treatment NOW and talk money when you become sober, and getting it paid will be a positive part of your recovery. Good luck, I hope you really want the lifeline, its the one I keep at hand. SEE A MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL.

Keep in touch -- I care.

• Root Admin

I can only echo what Vicky has said, Don't wait. You need to seek help now. It won't be easy but you can do it. :)

MaryEllen

• Forum Moderator

Dear Angela, Please get hope if you are really ready to quit. If you are anything like as addicted as i was you can't do it alone. I found that i was powerless over alcohol. My life was a total mess. I was an all day drinker at the end. Some of it was caused by my gender issues but i didn't need any reason to drink. I couldn't help it. I detoxed myself lying in a ball on the couch in pain and misery. I had a heart condition and had always lied to my drs. about how much i drank. Could of and probably should have killed me. I was however fortunate in going to AA. The people there helped me and i wouldn't be sober today without their help. I wish that i had gotten help in detoxing as well. You should! Anyway 5 years later life is beyond my wildest dreams. Not that things don't go wrong but because as i did what i was told in AA i stayed sober and and grew up as well. Now at 65 i have come out to my group and go to meetings as the woman i have always had inside me. I am accepted for what and who i am! And am getting there without booze.

It is completely up to you but for me life sober is the very best.

There is an AA chat meeting here in the chatrooms on Sun. night at 9:00. You'll need to sign up for the chartrooms separately.

Hugs and hope to see you there,

Charlie

Guest BreanneB

Angela

Well your not alone on this. I did the same thing, When I wanted to escape on not face the truth that I am TG. Its a lonely road I can tell you that. As if you didnt already know. I agree find a support group. If AA works for you that is great. I went cold turkey and I am at day 40 as we speak. It is not easy but it can be done. Hang in there. Also a good way to stop also is take a paperbag and put little notes in it with things you like to do. Everytime you get the urge pull out one of those notes and do it. Its a good destraction. This also works for losing wieght too. Well good luck we are all behind you on this stay in touch and let us know how things go

It certainly can be a lonely road, but it doesn't have to be. I am involved in several TG-AA activities: in a sunday night meeting here, an email group, a skype group, and I just went to my first LGBT aa meeting IRL this week.

The combination Of alcoholism distorting my perceptions and GID distorting my perceptions are too much for me to want to do it alone. It can start to seem like the Funhouse Hall of Distorting Mirrors if I am stuck in my own head....The time i have been here increases my gratitude for having a 12 step program as a compass or GPS so I don't get lost in the wilderness of fear, paralysis, loss of loved ones that often accompanies the transgender journey. Systematically applying the concepts of Trust God, Clean House, and Help others, and doing it along with others on the same journey of TG and AA, provides a support network that is invaluable to this alcoholic.

The ultimate trump card in AA is the saying " So, hows that working for you..." If the answer is "great", do what you have been doing. If the answer is "not so good", recovery programs may be worth checking out.

Best wishes

Michelle

Guest rita63

Angela Lots of good advice here. I realized to stay sober I would have to deal with my trans self. Last Nov I found Laura's and Michelle and Vicky and Charlie and the Sun night chats. Thanks to their support I am 9 months sober and learing to enjoy my femme side as a part of myself. Listen to Vicky and seek professional help, I did. And join us on Sun we're just a bunch of drunks trying to stay sober.

hugs rita