• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Telling my dad and friends

Guest Call me DEAN

Guest Call me DEAN

Hey there!

I've recently started the whole process (seeing the doctor and everything) in order to have hormonal treatment. Yeppie! It's gonna take some time, but at least I'm going somewhere. At the end of the month, I'm going back home and I have decided to tell my dad and my best friends from high school. I'm tired of lying, and I want them to know before I grow a beard or something. I'm kinda nervous. How do I say that? These people have been knowing me as a girl for so long, and I don't know how they will react. I don't think they would reject me, though, but it's not gonna be easy for them. My dad sure won't be rejoincing. So if you got any tips on how to tell people without them freaking out completely, please tell me.

On another note, I'm starting LARPS (live action role-play, meaning we're dressing medieval fantasy like and hitting each other with toy weapons) this summer, and I though why not play a male character? I'm hoping people will see me as male and I'm counting on my armor to hide me boobies, since I don't think running and binding is a good combo. Let's hope I can pass despite my small stature and my not-so-masculine face.

Dean

Guest Juniper Blue

Hey Dean,

It is impossible to control people's responses. I would choose one person to tell first. Preferably, a friend that you think will be most receptive. Try to plan the talk at a time when you know the person will be rested and feeling relaxed. Make sure that you communicate in a safe environment. Try practice conversations with gender variant or trans friends first ... to kind of "role play" and see how it feels to comminucate these feelings. Mkae sure that you have gender variant and trans freinds ready to support you after your conversation with a cis freind or with your Dad. It will feel good to kow that you have support and people who understand if you need to process how the conversation went.

BTW ... have fun at the re-enactment. We have a Ren Faire near where I live and I always dress in men's garb there ( as always.) It may not matter if you can "pass" or not in this environment ... but they may just think you are a younger guy if they think anything at all of it.

Good Luck,

JB