• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

attacked at work

Guest rachel5671

Guest rachel5671

Im on hrt for 8 months and goto work in guy mode. I was at work sitting outfront on my break smoking a cig when i heard laughing so I looked over to my right and this kid was pointing and laughing at me. When i looked he waved over his friend and they both started laughing at me and pointing. Was only a few minutes left on my break so i decided to back in when i got up they giggled and ran away. When i entered back into lobby i noticed they were hiding behind their dad and apparently said somethin to him cause he was glaring at me with the stare of death my whole way back behind the counter. I tried to continue doing my job but he just kept staring at me with that glare and the kids kept laughing and pointing.

So i turned and say politely, "excuse me sir, can you tell your kids to stop laughing and pointing, its rude." and he went all berserk and charged behind counter and attacked me. Was caught on tape and my boss saw it. We called the cops but they were no help. The cops themselves kept snickering at me and laughing when I walked away. One of them even said 'You musta done something to deserve it."

Im so annoyed, angry, and depressed at the same time. I hate life.

Guest Jo-88

If you got it on tape you should seek legal counsel... this kind of thing is unacceptable and someone should be held responsible.

• Root Admin

Awwww Geez. This is so wrong. If you were clearly assaulted and there were witnesses, this fellow should have been arrested for assault and battery. I don't get it. I hope you are able to put this behind you and move on.

MaryEllen

Guest Elizabeth K

Perhaps you can bring this to the attention of the police supervisor. ANYONE touches you with intent to harm or humiliate you, it's assault. Also there may be an LGBT organization that can refer you to a pro bono attorney. The only other alternative is to just let it go. But if it bothered you enough to post here, maybe you should see what you can do. A formal complaint to the police department doesn't cost anything but time.

Lizzy

Guest Chase

I actually feel really proud of you for saying something to the man who was letting his kids behave this way, its really uncalled for. I hate that there are people like this raising children to behave the same as they think. Just yesterday as I was leaving a grocery store I had a man staring at me with that death look and then nudged his buddy and said something to him making the guy look at me and say HOLY SH*T...I just kept walking tho, I wanted to get in their face and say PROBLEM? But Im glad you stood up for yourself, and Im sorry this has happened, I think you should keep your head up and be proud of who you are, no matter what the stupidity of society thinks. Love yourself.

Chase

• Admin

Rachel, if you have the names of the officers (and even if you don't) you should go to the police station, talk to a supervisor, and file a complaint. The officers had evidence of a crime, including both your statement and the video. They cannot simply ignore it because they were prejudiced or didn't like you. You have a right to seek justice, both for the crime itself and for the police discrimination towards you. While at the station, you should insist on filing a police report for the assault.

We only get justice when we demand it, and fight for it. If we take this kind of thing lying down, it just perpetuates the idea that we don't deserve respect.

You were assaulted without reason, Rachel. You deserve justice.

HUGS

Carolyn Marie

Guest rachel5671

Nobody at work knows about me, atleast I don't think so, and I'm afraid if I push the issue I will end up outing myself. I don't work at a very tolerant place (fast food) so I want to keep that aspect about me hidden there for as long as I can. After that happened I was getting looks and snickers from employee's already for it, Im assuming because I didnt fight back but a job is hard to come by and I dont plan on losing my only source of income.

For now I think I will just try to pile this under the rest of my resentments about life and move along. I've got my luksusowa Vodka and some cranberry juice to help me relax for the rest of the night and start my day tommorrow like nothing happened. Thanks for the kind words I appreciate it. Its nice to know I'm not hated by everyone out there atleast.

• Admin

Not to be argumentative, Rachel, I'll just say this; the guy that attacked you didn't give a reason, so you don't need to speculate about the reason on the police report. You can just say exactly what you told us here, which is that you asked him to control his kids, and he went off on you. The rest is none of anyone's business. But its your decision, so I leave it at that.

HUGS

Carolyn Marie

Guest Jo-88

Listen to Caroline Marie - honey. She has reasons for knowing these things.

Lizzy

I concur... and think about it this way too, what happens if this same guy decides to do this again to someone else in the future and they get SERIOUSLY injured?... and what if those same cops respond to a similar situation but again don't help? People like this need a firm reminder that their behavior is unacceptable, its not just about your situation its also about everyone else that these (jerks) may come in contact with in the future. If you let this go, both parties will think that they can get away with this kind of behavior in the future.

P.S. Also remember that those cops have a job because of YOUR tax money... make them do their job!

Edited by Jo-88
starred word replaced. See T & C
  • Forum Moderator

None of us want to stir up trouble and you didn't . He did. You really should file a police report. Pouring Vodka into yourself won't help. I hid most of my life with booze keeping the lid on and i will have to spend the rest of my life staying off. Better to move forward. Your doing that with your gender now about being attacked!

Hugs, Charlie

Guest Talon

I definitely would seek legal counsil/file a report. That is unacceptable! And the officers are supposed to help and protect people, NOT laugh at you and take sides like that. They haven't done their job. I understand if you just want to put it behind you but I'd certainly fight for justice on this one cos it's so obvious that you were assaulted and then treated wrong by the cops too!

I'm so sorry you had to go through that! Hope you're feeling better!

Much love,

Talon.

• Forum Moderator

Reading this makes me sad.

I would not let this go myself and don't let the video evidence be erased, they only keep so much on most DVR systems, storage is costly.

If the video shows the assult, I would not let this "man" go free to hit someone else in this world, sorry there is way too much violence, we have laws for that.

Take good care of yourself

Cindy -

Guest rachel5671

I pushed the issue on how I wanted him charged with assault and they said they are going to issue him a citation for Harrassment and they will call me to let me know when I have to appear in court. Im alittle disapointed as Harrassment in the state of PA is only a misdemeanor 3 with a fine of $2,500. But I did some googling and it shows PA consideres Harrassment as someone who strikes, shoves, kicks, or otherwise subjects the other person to physical contact, or attempts or threatens to do the same.

Guess if he pulled a gun on me and shot me it wouldnt be attempted murder anymore, maybe that would qualify as assault [::rolls eyes:]

• Admin

Good for you, Rachel! :thumbsup: That is excellent news. Look, even in California battery (fighting with fists) is a misdemeanor, so I'm not surprised at the charges filed. The main thing is to get a conviction, which will (hopefully) get that jerk to think twice about doing it to anyone else.

I'm proud of you, girl.

HUGS

Carolyn Marie

• Forum Moderator

great, glad you went for it.

hugs, Charlie

Guest Jo-88

great, glad you went for it.

hugs, Charlie

I am too... btw to the OP, if that is the way the law is defined then the misdemeanor charge is going to be the worst he is going to get but then again maybe thats enough to keep him from doing it again. Also I still think you should still seek legal counsel because you may be able to seek civil damages from both him and the police department... only a lawyer can tell you whats up but I think you have a good shot.

Guest AngelaA88

That whole situation is pretty terrifying.......especially so since it happened in PA.....that's a real shame that the police acted like that too. I seem to rarely ever hear about good things invloving the police & helping transgender individuals. Hopefully something can be done so that this sort of thing doesn't happen again @ your place of work.

Guest rachel5671

Thanks for support. Its just kinda scary though, i've never had anyone just hate me for no reason before. Weekend shift sucked but today was alot better since I worked with the people I normally do they were very supportive. I cant help but think how they would treat me if they actually knew me though. I'm usually very outgoing but I find it hard to be myself now cause I doubt peoples friendships and feel their fake like myself.

Guest rikkicd64

Rachel, I am sorry you had to go through such an ordeal, I'm also glad about the follow-up and I wish you the best, all of us here care about you.

Rikki.. :friends: