• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

any voice training reccomendtions for tg singers?

Guest Trisha

Guest Trisha

so today i was thinking what could i do to make myself feel more comfortable, so i practiced my voice, although ive had positive feedback i still feel like i can improve... also being a musician i love to sing and really want to improve that as well.

one of my issues that i feel i have, is when i do hit the higher pitches it sounds almost too labored to me... without trying to boast i have about a 4 1/2 octave range(unfortunetly some of it is lower than I wish), but i want it to flow smoother and sound less strained... >.<

if anyone might have any advice on expanding range, and or reducing the strained tones that would be amazing to me: )

also occasionally my voice cracks low when i'm talking. is that just one of those things i need to practice?

with much thanks Trish.

Guest Risu

Trish,

I have been practicing my singing voice for four years now and I have definitely made leaps and bounds in my ability though still far from ideal but having had similar problems to yours I have found that continued practice really does help and can make a difference.

Previously there were notes I would try to sing and when I opened my mouth no sound came out. But I kept trying and eventually a very hoarse sound came out, and then that changed to something weak and unsteady but real and things have only gotten better from there. Likewise I couldn't sing low to high or high to low on a sliding scale. I had to stop and physically change notes and then sing it. Practice has made this a non issue as well.

If you've had professional voice training or if you have that knowledge you're ahead of the game. Keep practicing those high notes and if you're lucky, in time, they won't sound strained at all. We could really use some talented trans singers in the mainstream media here in the states so more power to you!

Good luck with your voice work. It is unfortunate it can take a year or more to see any significant change but its totally worth it. :)

*Hugs*

~Jade

Guest Elizabeth K

After a while your upper range muscle control gets better. I did not have much luck until I went full time and stay in female voice almost always. Now if I forget to relax my throat when eating I can choke. Oh my. Always something.

But I have a long way to go with singing as I don't practice enough.

But one of the things I notice is a hot steamy shower gets the mucus out of my throat and I sing better. Also take a simple song like Row Your Boat, and keep upping the key until you reach your upper limit - good way to warm up. Also enunciate every syllable in the lyrics, especially the end ones.

Lizzy

• 3 weeks later...
Guest pockychaser

You're a girl after my own heart, sister mine. ^^ I love singing, myself. The key, as my mom related to me and Lizzy mentioned here, is lots of scales and warm-up exercises! I can tell you with certainty that it really works! Just today, in fact, I went out on walkabout. (Scouted out some thrift stores. :3) On my way home, I dusted off the warm-ups I'd learned from college choir and spent the whole time running through 'Red Leather, Yellow Leather' up the scales. By the time I got home, I had much better enunciation, and had stretched my voice a full octave above its usual high end! Into falsetto range minus the falsetto! I was able to sing karaoke and get a passing grade from my little sis, and I'm a rock-bottom -bass-. ^^

So, yeah! Practice scales with 'Red Leather, Yellow Leather' and feel free to giggle over the inevitable flubs. I know I did. :3

~Mel