• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Lost in NJ..seems not much to be seen via internet

Guest Chase's Danielle

Guest Chase's Danielle

We were wondering if anyone knows of any free legal name change attorneys in NJ or any websites we are missing for info in general in NJ.. Central or southern NJ medical, trans community events or such? any help or sites forwarded would be appreciated.. :)

I don't know where one find legal help for free, but an attorney isn't needed for a legal name change in NJ unless there are some extenuating circumstances.

Regardless of attorney, you will most likely have to pay for two public announcements in the newspaper and a fee with the court.

It isn't difficult, but like many things, it is knowing where to start and the right things to do. Once one been thru it, it is like "oh that was too simple if I had only known".

There is a service, for a fee of $100 last I knew, that will provide all the paperwork. That is more than free, but pretty cheap as far as legal help goes. That doesn't change the other costs I mentioned. Those other costs will probably exceed $100. If you want to know what service it is, PM me.

• Forum Moderator

Hi dear,

I would follow up on the advice above. One local group is the Renaissance group. They used to meet in Titusville and also meet in PA. It has been awhile since I attended a meeting but they could be googled.

Hope that helps,

Hugs, Charlie

Guest Elizabeth K

Have you Googled 'New Jersey Name Change' to see what happens? We did that for Louisiana and even found the proper forms online.

As for trans-support in NJ - especially in your area? The LGBT organizations can sometimes help with that. They are bigger and know resources that sometimes don't show up online, as those resources are more confidential and private by nature.

Good luck.

Lizzy