• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

*grumbles*

Guest Robin Winter

Guest Robin Winter

I should be in bed right now...but instead I'm sitting here at nearly 3am, exhausted and dirty, waiting for my laundry to finish, so I can shower and crash.

What a miserable day.....Have I mentioned that I hate my job????? Seriously...I just worked ....a 17 1/2 hour day.... I don't get paid enough for this (seriously, I'm on salary and I don't get paid overtime)....and I have to get up in less than 5 hours to do it all again...and I still have half an hour on my laundry, so I'm looking at MINIMUM 4am before crawling into bed. And I just KNOW some horrible crisis *scoff* will come up probably about 5 minutes after I manage to fall asleep (did I mention I'm still on call????)....

Yes, this is me whining......*pouts*

• Admin

Grab a big chunk of cheese, it goes well with the whine!! Sorry, that was uncalled for but helpful to keep you awake. Hopefully if you get a call it will not be 10 minutes before your laundry is done which is what I usually had happen. Keep it up though, and some day you will be qualified for my job. RETIRED!! Its a real tough job but someone has to do it.

• Forum Moderator

I also have the same job as Vicky-thanks for reminding me that some parts of my life are good this morning. Have a migraine and life was looking a little yucky till I thought about it,

Of course the price of getting there is wrinkles and achy joints and having to replace parts that have worn out so maybe it's all relative :D

But I'm sending you a big hug and a wish for today to be better. Much better

HUGS

Johnny

• Forum Moderator

Vicky and Johnny share my job as well which is why i have some time for Laura's. Still working the farm but the goats can just wait a few minuets as i do my nails. Sorry to rub it in but at the last stages you've got to have something to crow about and not just the crows feet at the eyes.

Hugs, Charlie

Guest Janice Lynn

Shilo.... 17+ hours! What? In America? And on a salary rather than

an hourly wage?

Goin' back some years now, but I must say that the "salary,"

as in guaranteed income, is a legal employer form of abuse.

Sadly, many think a salary is some kind of an award and indication

of job security when, in fact it is a way for an employer to avoid

the responsibility of a genuine hourly wage.

I'm concerned. Your health and safety are an issue here. As

an MTF I know there must be time for Shilo or Shilo goes south.

Please take care of yourself, Shilo. Anyone who would expect you

to be at work just hours after a 17+ hour day isn't worth the time

of day. I'd .... well .... yeah, I would .... tell them where to go.

Guest Robin Winter

You're right Charlie ^_^

When I retire I want a big kitchen instead of goats, but same idea :)

an hourly wage?

In Canada, actually :)

Yeah, I used to think a salary was a good thing too, until they decided that even though they don't have to pay me for extra time, they can deduct from my paycheck if I lose any due to illness or whatever. Thankfully, my immediate manager is pretty kind about fudging the books in our favor as long as our extended sick leave doesn't make her life harder.

It used to be a common thing for me to put so much time in, but lately it's a rarity for reasons including the "shilo" time you mentioned. I started refusing to give up my time off, except on rare occasions when they really were stuck and needed me.

As far as telling them where to go, well, I have a daughter and I can't afford to be unemployed right now, but believe me, I'm working on that ;)

Thanks for your concern. I'm really tired :mellow: but I think I'll live

There are certain perks, though. I live and work in the same building, so I frequently get to sneak home for a break like I'm doing right now :P Not that I think that makes it ok, but it helps make things bearable sometimes.

Guest otter-girl

wow those sort of hours are unsustainable. Hope it eases.up soon! Where's this freedom they keep saying we have.

Hugs

Rachel

Guest Robin Winter

Thankfully, it doesn't happen all that often, not to this degree. Also thankfully, I have tomorrow off :) I can't sleep in because my daughters Orientation for her first year at school is tomorrow, but at least I can be somewhat relaxed.

Guest Mia J

I have had a few of those times when I would go in at 7:30 in the morning and not get home until the sun was up the next day. And it really sucks when you are on salary and don't get overtime. I know exactly how you feel. I am looking forward to getting a job like Vicky in another year or two.

Mia

Guest Robin Winter

Aren't we all ^_^ I think people who get stir crazy after retirement and go back to work just weren't doing it right.

Guest Elizabeth K

I was salaried forever - 50 hours was routine per week and if a rush project came in! AUGGGH - I have had all nighters! On Christmas Eve? My boss came back and said "let's knock off early!" It was 4 PM. Thanks a lot!

Retired after 47 years of salary!

Sorry you are in the middle of all that! But that also means you are young!

Lizzy

• Forum Moderator

Dear Shilo,

This too shall pass.

I worked for myself and the boss was a jerk. Time off? maybe for the body but never the mind. It has taken a long time to learn to relax. That is one thing that was so appealing about my female side for a time. I can relax and shop slowly, eat slowly, talk and enjoy life as a woman. Unfortunately i'm teaching her to drive a tractor but she also leaves the house to talk to the men working on the farm and that has made for some interesting moments.

I am trying to teach myself to take it easy but after years of being or rather attempting to be macho its hard to slow down. But I still love this life we share about.

Hugs, Charlie

Guest ZensandT

an hourly wage?

You do realize that she's in Canada, right? Nova Scotia if you want to be more precise.

Just clearing things up for you Shilo!

<<hugs>>

Guest Elizabeth K

Doing better? It takes three days - I think - to get over one of those 'double shifts.' I think the key is to be careful what you eat and drink, because you probably disrupted everything when you stayed up past the natural sleep time. Get back on your regular feed, I mean - grin. Easily said.

Also? if you know you have one of these marathons coming up, get your body tuned ahead of time best that you can. Fruit is much better than sugar, things like cherries, cranberries and raisins that are compact - and a judicious use of proteins when eating a big meal are much more likely to sustain you. Stimulants like coffee, teas and especially soft drinks will give you a speed and then crash affect - just saying.

I once was an avid backpacker and we would burn at least 5000 calories er day. To keep up to speed we would constantly eat 'trail mixes' - these are a curious mix of salts and sugars, the real trail mixes I mean, not the 'kids oriented' stuff. . Dried fruits, nuts and seeds, and carob pieces. Sometimes we would have M&Ms mixed in. When working those job marathons, trail mix was a lifesaver!

So get your rest and get recovered! Sorry its so hard for you right now!

Lizzy

Guest Robin Winter

Sort of better. I slept in a bit past what I should have, but it worked out anyway. I actually had no idea I would be working as late as I was, it wasn't planned, the day just wouldn't end. Unfortunately, the only thing I had to eat was a wrap, but it had lots of good proteins in it. The rest of the day I did rely on energy drinks and coffee.

I used to be a fan of trail mix, but I kinda got sick of it lol. I'm a huge fan of fruit though, I try to get some every day, especially apples ^_^

Guest Elizabeth K

Yes! I love those dried fruits- but they get so sticky! Banana chips - the unsweetened kind - are like eating popcorn - but we have to watch our potassium intake on HRT - sigh. - dried cranberries are super! And those bags of mixed fruit? SUPER.

Be good to yourself - keep some of this well preserved food in your desk (tightly sealed to keep out pests) And DON"T tell anyone you have a stash!

Lizzy

Guest Robin Winter

I don't get a desk :P But it's ok, I live in the same building I work in, so I scoot home for snacks. My wife has a desk, but her snacks get raided all the time, our manager rifles through it all the time. She's got no respect for ownership when it comes to snack foods.

Oh, and I don't actually care for the banana chips. Cranberries on the other hand, are nummy. I do like plantain chips though, but like you said, pretty high in potassium, so I usually don't get them.