• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Large Binding Questions

Guest Twist

hey so I believe I have the chesticles from hell, seeing as I almost need to go up from my 36 DD, and I'm kind of heavy but definitely not proportionate to that. So of course, having wanted to be rid of them since before I knew I actually could, the idea of binding really appealed to me. Which pretty much for me entails spandex tummy tuckers covered with duct tape so tight that if I skip a breath I'm risking hypoxia and syncope. And all this gets me is a flattened region sticking about two inches out from my stomach and shoulders, although with enough carefully placed hunching and arm crossing I pass. Albeit with intense back stomach and chest pain. It's worth it, but basically that's out of the question aside from special occasions. And as of now I can only do it on special occasions where I won't see people I know anyway (disneyland has become my favorite place in the world :P), so that's not a big deal right now. However, I want to come out in college and I don't want people to be distracted by the fact that my chest has its own zip code. I can't do that daily, unless I want to end up in the hospital, so does anyone have any other ideas for disguising it? And is anyone else stuck with this problem? What do you do?

oh and I was just wondering... I personally can't feel my chesticulars unless there is something acting directly on them (unfortunately that includes walking too fast and all forms of binding) but basically if I'm wearing a bra I completely forget they exist, because I can't really feel them at all. I was thinking I might have decreased sensation for some reason, because I can touch them and really only feel it on the touching end, but maybe that's normal... anyone else?

Guest StrandedOutThere

Cody, I so feel your pain. Seriously. I'm right there with you, buddy. We are cursed with the same chesticle size.

I can't say I can offer a huge amount of advice because I haven't been particularly successful in the binding area. There are a lot of things that I've tried that haven't worked at all and others that seem to be moderately effective.

Okay...I guess I'll just make a list here:

1. Short binders don't work. You need a long one. I tried a short one and it tends to roll up on me because I am a bit...umm...portly. I mean, I'm not giant, but I am not exactly trim. I haven't had the greatest luck with any binders. None of them have the compression force needed to suppress my dual curses. It would take two people to put it on me. When I have managed to bind tight enough to matter, it ends up bruising my ribs. It isn't something I can do every day. It also isn't something I can do when I have to sit for hours at a time, which I have to do on most days because I'm a grad student.

2. Sports bras have been my savior. There are several from Title 9 sports that do the trick pretty decently. The Frog Bra is a good one. Enell makes some pretty good ones too. These don't reduce much, but at least they keep the "mass" still...reasonably still anyway. These bras are a little pricey, but you might be able to get your parents to buy them for you if you aren't totally forthcoming about why you want them. You could always try making the argument that they would help you exercise and be more active...some BS like that. Seriously...running around with DD's isn't fun.

3. If you are shaped like me, you can't wear button down shirts. I've heard that button down shirts hide the lumps better than pullovers (like polos and t-shirts). My problem is that by the time I get it big enough to button, it is WAY too big in the shoulders and looks like a dress. Also, when I have to get a longer shirt, it tends to not "fit" over my hips. Chesticles make button downs a no no for me.

4. The two most successful things I've tried have been wearing an undershirt and wearing polos with horizontal stripes. The visual complexity of the stripes makes it a little harder to pick out where there are bulges. Wearing a tight sports bra with an undershirt also helps. I like to tuck in the undershirt and let the polo hang out. The undershirt creates this line of fabric between my lumps and my gut that makes it harder to "read" me. Sweaters are good for hiding too, if you live somewhere cold enough for that.

About not feeling the things...I'm not sure about that. I can't say I "feel" mine either, unless an "outside force" acts on them. When I do feel them, it kind of freaks me out. That's why I don't run or jump or do anything that jars them. Yeah. I'm not a big fan of lump "movement". People have said, though I have no way to verify this, that bigger chesticles aren't as sensitive. However, I can tell you this...they become plenty sensitive when you have to get a mammogram. I had to have one for my chest surgery and I can tell you...it was NOT COOL AT ALL. I was NOT a fan.

So...yeah. They are difficult to hide, at least mine are. Admittedly, I am not trying too hard to bind anymore because my chest surgery is December 9th. I figure that there is no need to kill myself with binding at this point.

Goodness... I'm really, really scared of that surgery. Pain isn't my thing. Sorry...off topic.

Guest Jackson

Okay, here is what I've done:

Binders are okay, but things have a way of shifting. So I wear both a sports bra and a binder. I can breathe and it's not uncomfortable. Maybe I've just gotten used to it over time. I've worn binders for years for my reenacting.

I'm now essentially in the middle of the RLT thing. So I can't just go with a sports bra. I have to wear a shirt and tie every day. The button-down shirts are great. You can't see a thing and I'm not fully flattened either.

Baggie t-shirts, polos, and any kind of knit (sweaters), although I live in long-sleeve t-shirts, they are all gender-neutral enough that I don't do well when I wear them. So I try to wear a button-down shirt (not buttoned) over a t-shirt. Sweat shirts do the trick too for me. I must just have sweaters that aren't baggy enough. Dark colors seem to work better too.

Just my two cents worth (not adjusted for inflation).

I'm probably close to both you guys size Ains, Cody, and not to doubt, but are you tryin mens button downs? And if so then are you sure of your sizing? Try going with a larger collar size as opposed to just looking for the largest overall size. The shirt will get fuller without getting longer. And it'll keep you from wearing such long sleeves. The larger collar size will especially work for you Ainsley since you're on T now and will fill it out more soon. I've had the same collar sizes for 4 years now and in these last 3months the collar itself fits closer. As of Sunday it almost fit "completely". Cody, your collar may have more room in it but at least you won't have a shirt to your ankles and sleeves way too long.

How I bind is a lot like Jackson, Sports garment then binder. The only thing I do differently is once its on, stick your arms back through the holes and pull em so that they go more like under your armpits. Its not the most comfortable thing to have colliding with your armpits :D but it "gets em from out in front". Them being more to the side gives you a more "broad" chest look.

(Sigh) working out does play a factor. And until not that long ago going back for seconds was my "work out" lol but T is a miraculous thing AINSLEY if you just help it a little bit (that and keep me company). And Cody, if you're not on it, there's nothin wrong with gettin a head start. The more you do to broaden it out side to side on top the less front to back baggage is spotlighted.

Guest StrandedOutThere

Good stuff, Evan. I didn't know you could get a bigger collar size without making the shirt longer. That's cool. Most of the button downs I've checked out are either at the thrift store or in the young men's department, so they don't come in collar sizes. I guess I should check out the dress shirts. Thanks for the tip!

Oh... and I guess I probably should put off any major shirt buying until after December.

Chest surgery? I'm sceeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerd... That's "scared" to you English speaking folks.

How long have you been on T, Evan? My 1 month birthday was Saturday (the 22nd).

Two months and three weeks. My three month mark will be Dec 4.

You are still the luckiest of lucky......top surgery.....I want it. Definately wait to buy shirts since you're havin it.

.....lucky. And don't go do anything strenuous after it. Wait till you are good and healed.

I have one vest form underworks which I find works quite well. I'm about the same size as you. It makes my chest a lot less noticable. To be honest with you though, I'm not nig on binding. I really hate it, and find it very hot and uncomfortable. I'm all for hiding it like the other guys were talking about. Button down shirts are great, usually in a larger size. All I find jackets help to hide my chest as well. Just avoid T-Shirts. They are your worst enemy. I have to wear a T-Shirt at work, and that is the only time I bind my chest.