• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Am I Androgynous ?

Guest DEW1995

Guest DEW1995

Hello everyone ! My name is Eli and i'm not specifically new here, seeing as how I already posted on the CD forum, but I am new to Androgyny ! Now, i'm not and may never be fully understanding of my position, this post is simply self discovery oriented. So if you have the time, could some of you post how you came you your conclusion of Androgyne, perhaps some background that made you think so ?

It all started when I was fifteen and discovered I liked to CD. This began my self search of my sexuality and who I am as a human being.

First I think I'll list some of my background that could relate to Androgyny. I have always been soft and feminine in nature like a woman, and yet aggressive like a man. I can't specifically identify with either because I enjoy both given the circumstance. What I mean by that is at times I can seem like any other guy, yet others I might be more feminine. It all comes down to what I'm doing. Sometimes I'd prefer to watch action flicks with gore, others I would like to cry over a romance. I understand it's common for people to enjoy both, but the difference is that I never attributed it to my sex. I equally enjoy both for what they are worth. It just feels to me that I generally have both traits of woman and men. It's hard for me to explain it. For example I don't look at clothing by sex any longer. I like clothing based on itself regardless of sex. I may enjoy masculine styled shirts while wearing frilly pink underwear, or something to that extent.

It's really hard to explain my thoughts so I apologise for any misunderstandings. It's just weird because I enjoy being feminine and masculine at the same time. I would neither like to be a girl completely or a guy, I like the balance of both. I tried looking at it like I was simply a feminine guy, but I can't see it like that. For the pure fact that I have no preference in sexual organ. I wouldn't care if I stayed the same way or perhaps one day it was switched. It's really rather weird for me to explain and I'm just trying to figure it out.

I also took the gender test and scored a 15 placing myself within Angrogyne. I know it's a simple test and really can't tell anything for sure, but it just makes me wonder ?

Comments welcome :)

Sorry for such a long post, venting I guess ?

+before I forget, I would like to add that I do not wish to be both man/woman PHYSICALLY. I may enjoy both clothing styles, but I do not wish to change physically, its sort of like I don't care I suppose ? I simply live with what's dealt. I do however strive to stay both masculine and feminine mentally. I like the balance and enjoy the comfort of being both soft and aggressive in situations. By aggressive I purely mean *male* in lack of a better word :)

Guest DEW1995

I have looked a bit more and I'm still a little confused On what is actually means to be Androgynous ? I made this post simply because I felt myself closer to it than being a CD, but I'm not sure on the actual definition. I have seen some things that hint at being Androgynous means to be without gender, while some have said it means to be of both genders mixed ? Is it a choice on how to feel ?

• Admin

Andro = androgens = male hormones major players

Gynos = female = female hormones major players

Can be a male with characteristics more associated with females such as skin tones and bone structure features, light fine facial hair, or female with more rugged features. Then comes preferences in makeup and clothing.

Guest aleon515

CD and Androgyne are all in the umbrella of being transgender which basically mean you transcend gender in one way (or more). I think it is hard to tell if you are or not based on what you say. Clothes are what would be called "gender expression", it's how you feel, what's in your brain that matters.

Someone can be androgynous, without being an androgyne. That basically means what your whole person is, not just how you appear.

The thing is that no one else can tell about that, that is in your mind/spirit. At least this is my opinion.

So who are you inside? You don't need to answer this, but that's how to answer your own question.

--Jay Jay

Guest agfrommd

I have looked a bit more and I'm still a little confused On what is actually means to be Androgynous ?

My understanding of androgynous is that you are not comfortable being thought of as completely a man and you are not comfortable being thought of completely as a woman.

No one can tell you whether you are or not. That being said, your description sounds like you could very comfortably call our self androgynous.

Either way, please feel welcome to post here and explore along with us.

Guest Annabelle Anders

Wow. I had to double check the name up there to make sure it wasn't ME posting! Your wording sounds eerily similar to my first post! Apologies and all!

That's the great part of Androgyny, You don't have to apologize to anyone for not understanding something about yourself. Hell, many people still think that Androgyny is just the half-way stage between transition. But don't let anyone force you one way or another. You mentioned not feeling any anxiety about your reproductive organs and you very well could keep 'em or lose 'em. That right there I feel separates you from the MTFTM, as well as your embrace to both "gender-normative" characteristics. (although I've always found my feminine side hankering for the gory action flicks) So it doesn't seem as though you have a war going on between sides. (Many MTFTM go through rigorous therapy to come to grips with one side or the other.)

I know I can't speak for everyone when I say this, but this is how I feel Androgyny is and should be interpreted :

We do not define ourselves to be male or female, but to be ourselves.

We do not define our thoughts as they are organic and changing.

We do not define our actions, for we do what is best for us, regardless of public opinion.

We do not fit the pre-defined TRANSGENDER idea, ( as Aleon put so beautifully, We TRANSCEND Gender (Most people understand it as TRANSFERRING Gender)

We are inherently Equalists, not Feminist, Not Sexist, but true Equality; for we are living proof that we can all get along.

We are people, we are more common than many think, or have come to understand; but when it boils down to it, we are just people trying to live a happy, loving, and fulfilled life as best as we know how. (only we do it without concern for the pre-assigned gender labels)

In short, we'd love to have you, no matter how you define yourself!

-Annabelle

Guest aleon515

Ps. Excuse me Jay Jay for using your user name instead, :/ Force o' Habit.

Well it's pretty androgynous isn't it? No worries. I got the login by force of habit too, so there. :-)

And thank you for quoting me so "beautifully".

And yes, I like the concept of "transcending" gender. I'm sure it isn't original. :)

--Jay Jay

Guest Micha

Think everyone covered everything I was gonna say, cept one:

There are no rules.

Androgyny is so many different things, and it's not the only thing that is non-binary. It absolutely astounds me how so many people live comfortably in a binary system when the possibilities are endless. . . but tha's just my take.

Anyways, the way you dress is one thing - the way you feel, the way you see yourself, the way you want to be, those also are a huge part of identity. Only you can answer your question, sure, but there's a lot of info, a lot of shared stories and a lot or examples of the endless potential there is for anyone who questions the norm.

Also, not wanting to alter your body is perfectly normal, and I myself share this view, more or less. Bodies however are very changeable, and by no means a way of determining gender. Even your body's physiology (often mistaken as "sex") is not limited to a binary "male/female," "XX/XY" standard, as even chromosomes exceed a limited binary system, or so I've heard. . . still researching. Point is, your body and your appearance is not the whole, but only a piece of the puzzle that makes you who you are.

Take your time and have fun. ^_^