• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Transgenderism is contagious!?

Guest Jade T

Guest Jade T

So, I was browsing the internet the other day and stumbled upon this story. Television host of the show "The O Reilly Factor," Bill O'Reilly, just recently aired a segment of his TV show on Fox News channel stating his concern that the TV show "Glee" is showing messages and "lifestyles" that might be contagious to younger viewers and audiences. In particular, the show "Glee" had an episode featuring a young transgendered woman. In the video linked, Mr. O'Reilly compares being transgendered and "choosing" to be transgendered just as simple as being influenced to smoke a cigarette.

First of, smoking a cigarette or using illicit drugs is a decision. Nobody wakes up one day and thinks "Gee, being transgendered sure seems swell, I think I will go out and start donning a wig and wearing a dress (or suit and tie for the transgendered men) and live a life of glamor." Being transgendered, much like gay and bisexual, isn't a choice people make. The people are born that way. Also, being GLBT isn't a lifestyle. Living like a prostitute or gigolo is a lifestyle (and professional) choice, which all people heterosexual, gay, lesbian, or transgender alike can choose to live.

A transgender person can no more choose the way he or she feels than a heterosexual person can suddenly start to want to become the opposite sex. These feelings are pretty much hardwired in the brain from birth and nothing will change that. To the outside, it may seem like a transgendered person may suddenly one day "choose" to become transgendered. But do not doubt this, those thoughts have been in the person's head and mind for quite some time before it was made public to everyone around him or her. Usually those thoughts have been around since childhood. For some transgendered, they may be able to control the feelings of being in the wrong body for the majority of their life. That is why we read and hear many stories of men and women that are married with children in their middle ages coming out to their spouse and children.

Mr. O'Reilly's idea that glamorizing the transgender "lifestyle" (once again, it is not a lifestyle, it is a condition) may encourage children to experiment and become transgender themselves is absurd. Think about it, can a normal person one day start living as the opposite gender and feel happy and content? For the sake of argument, lets say a non-transgendered child does get enamored by a transgendered person they saw on TV and wanted to experiment. He or she starts going out in public as the opposite gender. He or she will face discrimination, hate, ridicule and abandonment by old friends and family, possible violence, and be a whipping doll for all sorts of crude and rude comments. Do you think after facing all of that, a non-transgendered child will choose to stay the course? The only thing that a non-transgendered child can be learned by "experimenting" is how bigoted and ignorant our society can be. That and maybe they will garner some insight as to how the "other half" live their lives; provided they stayed the course for long. But have no doubt, non-transgendered child will not make a very happy "transgendered" person for long and those "experiments" will cease.

I can hear the questions now, "So Jade, why is it I hear so many transgendered people commit suicide if they become so happy when they start to live as their identified gender?" Lets us exercise our mind and use our imagination for a bit:

Lets pretend that you are a normal man, and you always identified yourself as such and without a doubt know you are a man. You are happy living as a man and secure in your masculinity. Then all of the sudden one day, everyone starts telling you that you need to stop saying you are a man. They say you need to fix yourself and start to act, dress, and speak like a woman. Your spouse abandons you because you are so intent on being a "man," something that is obvious to the rest of the world that you are not. Your family will no longer speak with you. Your church kicks you out. People who walk by you on the street start to say mean, hurtful things to you. Others just like to point and laugh at you. People pick fights with you for trying to be a man. Your co-workers start to whisper about you and stare at you when they think you are not looking. Your boss fires you for "causing" commotions because you say you are a man.

Exercise over. Imagine how would you feel going through all of that. Would you be happy with your life, even when you are happy with the fact you are a man? Many transgendered people who choose to transition to their identified gender face that everyday. Though they may finally be happy that they can live as their identified gender, the rest of the world and society may start to condemn them and treat them like a pile of dog excrement for simply being themselves. It is no wonder so many transgendered people choose to end their life of torment.

So, next time you see a transgendered person or hear of one being picked on or ridiculed, get over your fear of their "disease" and please be thoughtful and considerate. They are just trying to live their life in happiness, just like everyone else.

And Mr. O'Reilly, you sir, are an idiot on this matter. I know this happened some time ago, and I may be a little late on this matter. I also know that I am preaching to the choir on this. I also wrote this on my blog, but figured this forum would get more visibility on transgender issues than a blog that I write that deals with all matters of different political topics. If I am not allowed to post this here, I apologize.

Hugs,

Jade

• Forum Moderator

Nicely worded points Jade.

O'Reilly may be simply reacting to all the media coverage these topics seem to get nowdays, he may become concerned it's a lifestyle ? Unfortunately what he says is indicative of the thoughts of many. I tune these people out, no time for it.

Fox news - "Fair and Balanced" (yuk)

Cindy -

Guest LauraJen

Kudos to you, Jade, it's just another example of someone with screwed-up ideas on the subject spreading it all into the public domain where many other ignorant people will take on the same ideals. I think television is often underrated with respect to how much of a powerful medium it can be, especially herein the UK where it's a part of the stereotypical culture. This is why it's so vital that we (and other minorities) are portrayed fairly, accurately and with respect. We need people like you to effect positive change, so well done for speaking out!

Laura Jen

Guest otter-girl

Very nicely put Jade.

To deduce from his own argument then, the only reason we havent turned into rabid fundamentalist witch burners is that their lifestyle is just so dull. !!!

:)

Rachel

Guest Jade T

Nicely worded points Jade.

O'Reilly may be simply reacting to all the media coverage these topics seem to get nowdays, he may become concerned it's a lifestyle ? Unfortunately what he says is indicative of the thoughts of many. I tune these people out, no time for it.

Fox news - "Fair and Balanced" (yuk)

Cindy -

It seems too many people get caught up and start believing that being GLBT is a lifestyle. The media perpetuates this false idea. But the problem is, many people who identify as GLBT get caught up in the hype and start calling it a lifestyle, thereby making the "lifestyles" claim seem correct.

You go Jade. High five!

Thank you :)

Kudos to you, Jade, it's just another example of someone with screwed-up ideas on the subject spreading it all into the public domain where many other ignorant people will take on the same ideals. I think television is often underrated with respect to how much of a powerful medium it can be, especially herein the UK where it's a part of the stereotypical culture. This is why it's so vital that we (and other minorities) are portrayed fairly, accurately and with respect. We need people like you to effect positive change, so well done for speaking out!

Laura Jen

I see what you mean. But the problem with Mr. O'Reilly saying such nonsense is he is the number one rated news program in the US. People who may be easily impressionable and mentally lazy to think for themselves listen to him, then start getting concerned for their children. But when they break it down and analyze it on a case by case basis, it should be obvious that "experimentation" is highly unlikely, and in the end will not affect a child's development.

I see the "What about the kids?" line used so much in regards to LGBT issues. It is just a thinly veiled attempt to turn well intentioned parents and concerned citizens into emotional whirlwinds of hate and prejudiced against a group of people (LGBT) whose only crime was to be born differently. In my opinion, Mr O'Reilly only brought the "kids" portion of the debate into it so he can attack the LGBT community without looking like a bigot on that issue.

Oh, and I forgot the link to the video. http://www.opposingviews.com/i/entertainment/video-bill-oreilly-worries-glee-may-turn-children-gay. I had it linked to the text in my blog. I forgot I needed to actually link the website. If I am not allowed to link the video, my apologies, I figured it was transgender related :)

Jade

Guest Juniper Blue

You know .. I am so glad that you posted this very controversial topic ....it is something that I have never admitted before but I think that I contracted Transgenderism on a long flight to China .. a very androgynous passenger sneezed without covering her mouth ( Yes, and I think she was an American) and ever since that day .. well .. I have been like THIS! :harhar:

I wish I could find her to thank her.

Uh oh .. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!

Oh no .. I hope that I haven't infected all of you as well!!

Hugs??

JB

Guest Jade T

Very nicely put Jade.

To deduce from his own argument then, the only reason we havent turned into rabid fundamentalist witch burners is that their lifestyle is just so dull. !!!

:)

Rachel

I think you may be on to something Rachel. Witch burning is too dirty and the ashes get in your clothes and hair. Smoke and soot scented perfume was so 1600s anyways. I'd much rather engage in something fun and fulfilling like actually practicing what I preach about loving and accepting others (that was directed at the rabid fundamentalists).

You know .. I am so glad that you posted this very controversial topic ....it is something that I have never admitted before but I think that I contracted Transgenderism on a long flight to China .. a very androgynous passenger sneezed without covering her mouth ( Yes, and I think she was an American) and ever since that day .. well .. I have been like THIS! :harhar:

I wish I could find her to thank her.

Uh oh .. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!

Oh no .. I hope that I haven't infected all of you as well!!

Hugs??

JB

:Crylol: I think we may have to call a quarantine team... wouldn't want the people living in the Dark Ages to start enjoying their life and living some.

Thank you all for your support and comments :) I'll try to post the link again. I think I accidentally put a "." at the end of it. If it doesn't work... I fail with computers :hairpull:

http://www.opposingv...rn-children-gay

• Who's Online   9 Members, 0 Anonymous, 187 Guests (See full list)

• Birdie
    • Charlize
    • KathyLauren
    • RaineOnYourParade
    • MaeBe
    • Ashley0616
    • JaySee88
    • missyjo
    • Betty K