• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Youtube Vlogging.

Guest Keane

Guest StrandedOutThere
Sorry. I do that sometimes. (It's happened several times before actually, like with religion and stuff. I kind of attack and rip down in an attempt to understand) :P I tried to make it not negative, I guess I failed, well, maybe not totally since Keane got it. (But I guess I failed at looking, too. I've only seen like two other non-trans vlogs, and one of them was for a singer.) I guess it's because the people who are trans make theirs specifically trans, like the code words you search for are always like "transsexual FTM transition vlog." I guess other groups of people don't say they're specifically writing about what group they are? Like "My life" instead of "My transsexual life."

But, yeah, thanks for catching me in my attack-ness. Y lo siento a todos. (Sorry to everyone. In Mexican) :P

It's all good. Just type "vlog" and you'll be treated to every kind of vlog. The FTM vloggers do tend to tag their videos more specifically as trans. Other people have less specific tags like "vlogger" or something else general. Seriously though, people do vlog about EVERYTHING. At first I was like you and was like "what's with all the trans vlogs?", but then I realized that they were just responding to the larger trend. YouTube is like LiveJournal for people who don't like to type. As far as I can tell, there's a huge vlogger culture on YouTube and there are several wildly popular ones.

Ever heard of Chris Crocker? The infamous "Leave Britney Alone" video? Oh how I lol'd. Anyway, people love YouTube. Occasionally people even get famous, which I think is part of what drives the trend. Everyone wants to be a star!

Guest Crossroads

The videos are helpful because transition, unlike many other things, is a taboo topic. You can't just go into the library and find out when to change, how to change, how it's going to happen, when to have surgery, what surgery to have first, how will insurance cover. You can go and find a book on pregnancy and find out every little thing that will happen in every month. And even though you CAN find all this information about pregnancy, there's STILL a YouTube Community for expecting mothers!!! There's no doctor's manual about transitioning. As far as I know, there's only a small handful of books about Female to Male Transitioners, and they're not scientific or detailed.

This is a manual each person is making. Transition, how the body is affected by Testosterone, the whens, wheres, hows, whys, and whos are all able to be answered by people actually going through it! This is especially useful to those of us who don't have a community to go to. I have to drive 3 hours to get to someplace that has ANYTHING for transgendered people. Or I can just hop on my computer and go to Laura's Playground, the Atlanta_FTM group, the _ftm_ community on livejournal or...if I don't feel like reading, YouTube!

And it really helps the people who feel like they're the only one, to know they aren't alone.

Ainsley, I beg to differ: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ovknghc6PA

• 1 month later...