• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Uni of Missouri Med School Includes LGBT Health In Curriculum

Carolyn Marie

• Forum Moderator

Carolyn,

thank you for this important medical post. All med schools need to make this a required course.

There's nothing like walking to ones drs office and say, "Hey, I'm trans and I need medical help". And, the dr's brain goes into a whizz, because they have no if any real idea of how to treat a trans person.

Mike

Hi Carolyn:

As a member of the School of Medicine at the University of Missouri, I was speaking to one of our Gender Doctors in Family Medicine this morning and she asked me if I attended the recently offered Seminar on What every Physician Should Know about treating LGBTQ patients. I was in the second row. The lady who spoke was fantastic. It's superb the climate here on issues relating to our community. Faculty support is outstanding and even better is the support shown to our Lesbian and Gay Faculty and Staff. I don't know when I will fully transition completely, but I can't think of a better place to work for than here. Over 350 current and future physicians attended this conference and that is an important start to the day when our issues are part and parcel of the curriculum in every Medical School in the country as it is now here at the University of Missouri School of Medicine. It has been part of the curriculum of the School of Nursing for the past four years here. Kathryn