• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Women's clothes and US Customs

Guest Sarah Miller

Guest Sarah Miller

Hello everybody,

Has anybody had any experience with entering or leaving the US as either a US or non-US citizen in boy-mode but with women's clothes (shoes. wig. etc) in the luggage? I kno from anecdotal evidence that sometimes searches can happen at random. I am just wanting any pertinent information as to what may happen if such items were found in a males luggage. Do they care? Will they detain you for an interrogation? Black hood over the head and it's removed you're in Guantemo bay?

I am off to the US from Australia in a fortnight and will be 'dressing' on my swayback when I am back in Australia but need to have these items travel with me. Any feedback is appreciated.

xxo ciao Sarah-Jane

• Forum Moderator

You should be ok. I don't think they will care at all. They may search but having the opposite sex's clothing in a suitcase is not a crime in the US.

Have a great trip.

Hugs, Charlie

Guest filmgirl92

I never had a problem when traveling.

Last year I went from from New York to Cairns through LA and Sydney. I had nothing by friendly security agents!

Have a great trip! :)

Guest Maria_B

The TSA is an evil evil thing, and people are buttwipes at the best of times, but it's not a crime, so they can't hold you or ship you off.

Guest Clair Dufour

As long as the clothes don't look like your a professional entertainer there should be no problem. If you came here to work you would need a business visa.

• Admin

The only thing the TSA looks for is contraband and weapons. They don't care about anything else. I traveled in male mode with women's clothes, makeup and a wig in my checked bag, and nothing happened. You have more reason to worry about overweight bags than what's in them.

HUGS

Carolyn Marie

Guest Clair Dufour

You could just wear the wig and a few bits of your kit. Lots of guys here have long hair many women would kill for.

• 2 months later...
Guest ~Phoebe~

Worked for Globe Security who had the gate security contract with Northwest Airlines back in 2000 at MSP. When lugage was searched by hand, did not care what was in the lugage as long as it wasn't contraband, weapons or items that may cause an explosion. Only thing that I came across was a jacket that had six packs of cigarettes in the pockets. The foil on the packages caused the metal dector to go off. The packs of cigarettes were sent though the explosive machine scanner and nothing explosive was found. Packs of cigarettes were given back to the passenger.