• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Ever wish you had a girl-"friend"?

Guest DavinaG

Guest DavinaG

So have you ever thought that you need a girl-friend (not girlfriend)? I am fully out as a guy somewhere in the middle of the gender continuum with my wife and she is fine with the way I am and lets me go about my business BUT she really doesn’t understand my needs very well and isn’t a girly girl or conversationalist for that matter. In any case I really do wish I had a friend to help me with my girly side and have no other female family close or friends that I am willing to expose myself to at this point (only female friends at the office). I really don’t know if I am asking for advice or just venting, just know that this life would be easier and much more fun with a girl-friend. Anyone have any stories about who you go out with for some girly time and or how you found them?

Guest Merc

I struck up a random conversation with someone here at Laura's and we've been really good girl-friends ever since. We only talk about the stuff that make men go, "Ugh, women."

Nice to see somebody from Utah, I'm heading there in about a week(back home)! I'm proud of my Provo heritage, just so you know =D

~Emily

• Forum Moderator

I have been blessed with wowed who have helped me become a better woman. They have given me hints and kept me from making major fashion faux pas. It all has come about by coming out to different people. At this point as i live full time i have my female friends keeping me in line and helping to shop etc. They are not always "girlie" but are all women. I was not socialized as a woman and my girlfriends now are the support group i might have had in high school. Well worth working for those friends. Honesty helps. I only wish i had had a sister but have found some now.

Hugs, Charlie

I have reconnected with a few of my girl-friends from college, they are really great to talk to but unfortunately they are in Salt Lake City, Chicago and Anchorage so it is all over the Internet until I can afford to travel again.

But talking with them is wonderful.

Love ya,

Sally

Guest DavinaG

Interesting comments on the subject. Sounds like Charlie has a good situation with a few girl friends to help in the fashon and socialization areas.

Sally, that is so great you were able to reconnect with old girl friends, it is nice to find someone you can talk to. I suppose that is at least 50% of what I am looking for. I have many girl friends at work that I talk a lot with but I want to keep this part of my life separate from my professional life though I do enjoy our conversations. I had 3 jobs working exclusively with women and wouldn't have it any other way if I had a say about it. That said, I would love someone to shop with.

Emily, yes I am in SLC but not really connected to this place. If I were part of the local culture I don't know what I would do. After reading Squirrel Cage, by Cindy Jones (Amazon) the thought terrifies me. It helps not really caring what the neighbors think.

Oh well okay. Was Squirrel Cage taken place in Utah or what is the connection? I looked it up and it authors a quote I've been looking for the origination for, for a while now,

"When I was small, my teacher gave our class an assignment. We were to write a paper. The subject was: What I want to be when I grow up. I wrote down just five words: I want to be happy. She told me that I obviously didn't understand the assignment. I told her that she certainly couldn't understand life."

I do know some belligerent people from that type of culture, but for the most part they are human too, and want what makes you happy =D.

~Emily

Guest *Charlotte P*

Having a "girl-friend" would be great!! my wife acts in the role a lot of times, but isn't always thinking in that mode. Having someone that did would be awesome

Guest DavinaG

Just came out to my

Oh well okay. Was Squirrel Cage taken place in Utah or what is the connection?

Yes it was written by a TG person in UT with a family in the LDS religion. Of course the experiences are from some time ago. Not judging the culture as this life is tough everywhere.

Guest DavinaG

Having a "girl-friend" would be great!! my wife acts in the role a lot of times, but isn't always thinking in that mode. Having someone that did would be awesome

Just came out to m sister-in-law's partner. We have always related well and now I have a true girl-friend too. I just wish she wasn't 6 hours away but we are planning to meet in the middle for some "girl-time". Still interested in how you all made your girl-friend connections.

Just came out to my

Oh well okay. Was Squirrel Cage taken place in Utah or what is the connection?

Yes it was written by a TG person in UT with a family in the LDS religion. Of course the experiences are from some time ago. Not judging the culture as this life is tough everywhere.

I'm sure it has. In fact, groups within the LDS church can actually be seen supporting LGBT movements in Utah. Why just last month a group showed up to the Pride parade thingy.

I'm of the opinion that there is no better place to transition then at home, unless you have a really bigoted family.

~Emily

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Willow35

I'd very much like to have a girlfriend to help me. My gf is accepting the situation but is having a hard time. She is also the only one that knows which can be a bit hard on her.

So if anyone is in the London area and would like to help out, i'd greatly appreciate it.

Guest alexiaannalise

i would love to have a girl-friend my girlfriend knows about me and my other girl-friend is married she knows but her husband doesnt like me cuz im a genetic male but ya know i would love to have one to out shopping with me and have some girl on girl time to have fun doing watever

• 7 months later...
Guest Amber Lynn

This is currently one of my biggest wishes too! Whether a GG or another trans woman, I would love to have a girl-friend I could confide in, get advice, share thoughts, go shopping with, and just generally have girl time with.

Sorry, I guess I'm not much help. I'd also love to hear how anyone else made their connections.

Gina

Guest SusanB

Have lotsof female friends but, not out to any of them. I do pick up bits and pieces of info just from general conversations. Just yesterday i got some pointers on eyeliner because a woman was cleaning up her bathroom while talking to me LOL

Have lotsof female friends but, not out to any of them. I do pick up bits and pieces of info just from general conversations. Just yesterday i got some pointers on eyeliner because a woman was cleaning up her bathroom while talking to me LOL

You're being stealthy in the wrong direction. LOL! I'm waiting for pictures when you are ready. Be brave. Giggle. Hug. JodyAnn

Guest SusanB

You're being stealthy in the wrong direction. LOL! I'm waiting for pictures when you are ready. Be brave. Giggle. Hug. JodyAnn

Yeah, i keep meaning to take some pics

Have always hated having my pic taken and they usually look worseif i take them

Guest ~Phoebe~

I don't have a gal pal, but there are several women in my building that appove of my female side. One coments sometimes I dress better than she does. Have asked one to have coffee out sometime and she said, maybe sometime.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Roberta-Belinda

I would love to have a girl friend to help me with dressing. I use to be so envious of the girls in my high school and later in the office I were worked. It's most frustrating to hear girlie talk about clothes and be able to join in.

Guest *Natalie*

I'm lucky enough to have a few girl friends. One is my dress maker, well clothes alterer.I meet her through another trans friend. We have become good friends and she is full of help and advice. Another girl I meet in a pub where a few Tgirls meet. Again we have become good friends and have nights out in pubs and clubs regularly. I have another two or three that I would now call friends. All as far as I can tell they treat me just as they would any other of their girl friends

I've only been out the closet for a year. One thing that has surprised me the most is the attitude of women towards me. I get talking to women more often than not while out dressed. Most are cool with it. .

Guest Kendra K

Constantly wish that. I have quite a few females I'd call friends and can't think of any males.

The trouble is they never call. They don't call to chat. They don't call to say let's get together. I'd guess that may change if I was out, since they may be thinking that I'm hitting on them or something to that extent.

I'd love to have close female friends to chat with, go shopping with, get together for girls' night with.

Whereas I really don't have that desire with males. Doing things with makes may be okay, even enjoyable, for somethings, but it's just not what I want.

Guest savannacd

I am very fortunate to have one girl-friend who I have come out too. She is very open to the LGBT community in general and I kinda felt she would understand about my feelings and the way I express myself. She has been very supportive and understanding and does enjoy giving me tips and even has bought me some clothing. She knows that it is not a fetish but something deeper and she is my true sounding board on the way I think and feel.

Guest virginiaJ

My wife is very supportive and helps me in every way she can, but she is certainly not a girlie girl. I would love to learn more about make-up and stuff but she knows very little about clothing and her skin is so near perfect hse barely knows what make-up is. (Maybe a little jealousy there.) So yes I would love to find a girl friend. I have been considering for a long time now going to a local TG meeting group in OKC, but is quite nerve racking when i dont know anyone. The other thing i would like to try is finding someone from mary kay that could meet with me and give me tips on make-up. I have researched all over the net to try and find a trans friendly place or person to go to, but seems that info is kept hidden from. Anyway maybe one day Ill get the nerve up to try something new and exciting.

best wishes

Virginia