• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

So... What am I?

Guest Confused...

Guest Confused...

I'm a 13yr old "male", trying to figure out what exactly I am...

I might as well start at the beginning; out of my three earliest dreams that I can remember (about 6yrs old then), two of them were about me 'transforming' into a girl. I don't remember much else about this, other than I did think about it for a while after this...

My next memories were when I was 8, I remember me wishing that I could be wearing the pretty dress that my little sister was when we went out.

I remember when I was about 10-11, I tried on some of my little sister's clothes more than once while home alone (they were a bit small, but I didn't care...)

More recently, just last year I remember wanting to be a girl, and obviously now I'm feeling that too...

Yesterday, my family and I were going through some old family videos of when my siblings I were little. In one clip I was 3, my sister just a few months old, and I accidentally said something along the lines of "I'm her sister", correcting myself a few seconds later with "No, I meant brother". I wanted to blurt out at the TV and 10 year old clip "no, don't correct yourself, you were right the first time!", but I held it back.

Recently, I can't see a pretty girl (even on TV) in a pretty dress without wishing I was her. The other day we were out shopping, and as we walked past one of the women's clothing shops with all the mannequins displaying all the pretty clothes I secretly wanted to rush in there and buy everything, and my brain had 100 things to say at that moment, but I bit my tongue and held it all back...

I can't stand the thought of voice dropping and other major bits of puberty.. I think I'll go insane when that stuff happens...

So... First what am I? Do I sound transsexual?

Second, is this even remotely normal, or am I going completely insane? (I honestly wouldn't be surprised...)

• Admin

Not insane by a long shot. Normal?? It all depends on your definition of normal, some say its just a setting on the family clothes dryer. Surprisingly enough, just a few months back a major medical association dealing with gender issues decided that gender issues from occasional cross dressing up to and including Transsexuals should be considered within the range of normal human experience, and not as illness or disability. Good timing for you!!

13 was a pretty terrible and intense time for me back in the dark ages, but I do remember much of the same issues that you are having. At least for you today there are some guidelines of what is causing your distress and unhappiness, and you should bring up the stress issue with your family and or your doctors as soon as you can. At your age it is NOT a good thing to absolutely say you are transsexual, you do need the help of competent adult counselors, and probably a gender therapist would be best, but take it slow and it will go faster for you. You will be finding out a lot about yourself in the next few years, and while gender identity is one of those things, it is only ONE of them. I was at your point in life 51 years ago and was in a terrible rush to get to age 14. Now I am trying to hold back another birthday coming too soon.

While you are here, since you feel like you are a girl, go ahead and call yourself that. Being a Trans Girl here is a good thing.

• Forum Moderator

Confused, Look around the playground, Read and if you have questions ask. It will you to know yourself. Vicky is right take your time and enjoy your life. Life might seem to get better but seems to go sooooo fast. Enjoy where you are on your journey.

Hugs and hope to see you around

Hugs, Charlie