• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Bullies.

Guest sphere

Ever since I was first exposed to kids my age when I was in kindergarten, my peers have endlessly bullied me.

Because I can't fit in, because I don't know how to talk to people or deal with certain situations (I have Asperger's), because I have been so confused my entire life about my gender identity.

Even if I hid my transsexual feelings, the bullying wouldn't cease. It dramatically quieted down though... for all I know, that is.

I have social anxiety, so I'm terrified of rejection, right? But I feel a HUNDRED times more confident while at least trying to be my true self--a boy, and some days I just don't give the slightest dang what people think of me.

This year I've been taking the "dressing/acting" etc like a boy thing further than ever. I have a male haircut, I dress like a guy, I bind, etc etc. I have never passed so well in my life. Even the particular morons who I suspect are the main culprits of being the losers who bully me behind my back (haha so pathetic right?) first thought I was a boy.

Now, when I'm not looking (but I can still hear sometimes) they call me "IT." God. Even "she" is better than "it" for chrissake. I. Am. Human. Too.

I already knew these idiots were mocking me and stuff but it didn't really upset me, I just considered them stupid losers who weren't worth my time.

Lately my friend learned people (she didn't specify who, since some kid told her about this) were making fun of me behind my back because I look, act, and dress like a boy.

What. Pansies.

If you have something to say to me, say it to my face. Any coward can talk about someone when they're not even looking. But hey, maybe they're jealous I'm manlier than they are?

But now I've been thinking... Hey, maybe this isn't something I should just let go of so easily.

Even if they are immature cowards, even if it doesn't bother me all that much... at the same time it does. Because I know I shouldn't allow them to get away with this. To mock me--or anyone--for who they are, or anything.

Problem: How do I confront these people if I don't even know who they are?!

Problem: How do I approach any such people? I suck at social skills and have severe anxiety. How do you go about approaching a bully especially? People are difficult, but bullies... god, they're impossible. I just don't know what to do or say.

I also really want to know if it's the same people talking about me behind my back over and over... Because THEN I have a problem. Just some stupid teenagers gossiping--whatever, but if these kids start getting to the point of loathing, obsession, or anything.. Who knows how safe I'll be then. And if these kids are those who I suspect, then I could easily see them resorting to violence. I could probably take out some of them, like a couple that are scrawnier than even me, but against the rest, especially all at once... heck no.

I dunno. I don't want to "ask an adult" or anything because they ALWAYS go up to the kids all like "NOW DID YOU DO THIS..." and it only makes it all worse. Besides, I could be blowing this up into something bigger than it is.

I can't just ignore them, because it never works.

I can't be assertive all like "hey stop it i really don't like you disrespecting me like that blahblah" because these are the types of morons that really, truly don't care about how you feel at all. I might as well be inhuman to them. To them I'm a joke.

I've had people bully me my entire life, but I never learned how to deal with them and how to get some respect. It seems like there really is no way.

Any advice, please?

Thia may sound like a lot of stuff that you have heard before, but it is true. Idiots bully , because THEY feel inferior - they can only feel good about themselves if they know that they have made someone else feel inferior to them.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt.

Confronting these types of people seldom helps - you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it THINK!

As to getting respect, you won't get it from those jerks, but from any people who could possibly matter to you - the key is to respect yourself! You seem to be very down on yourself (I've been there) and people pick up on this (like a shark senses blood in the water) and they are down on you too. If you can (and this is the hard part) develop a more possitive self image, you will feel more confident and people will sense that as well. Treat others with respect and the ones that are worth caring about will respect you. And really, Who cares about the other jerks? You wouldn't want to spend your time with those idiots anyway.

I hope that you can work through these negative feelings of your own, then the negativity of others can't effect you. Most bullies (especially the ones who don't even face you) never really do anything but talk. If you become more comfortable with yourself, they will lose interest in talking bout you if it has no effect on you.

I hope that you can work through this, you are a special person and deserve to be treated as such.

Love ya,

Sally

Guest eshaver

Sphere, my son who is only nine suffers from Asburgers . I'm trying to learn all I can about it as I also rent to a gay college student who has it too. Second you're from the only state in the country that tried to give me a second chance when no one else would after a hurricane in 1972. I will never forget the kindness given to me by strangers there in the Houston area. I hope folks in Texas are listening cause I'm never going to forget who became my REAL friends when I needed friends . now meanwhile , I'm here in the land that time forgot , Richmond Va. How can I help you ? Ellen Shaver

Kids, young people can be very brutal and cruel to the ones that don't seem to fit in, or are different in some ways. I was definitely on the low end of the pecking order through school, mostly it had to do with me not talking. I seldom, rarely talked. If I was asked in a class to answer something I would almost die of the fear, and generally not be able to say a thing, just sit there silently while they waited for me to say something lol. It really did not have much to do with my gender issues, but more how I did not / could not socialize with the other kids. And I had practically no self esteem or confidence in myself, a lot of times I thought I deserved what I got, I was afraid to stand up for myself.

7th through 10th grade were the very worst for me. After that a lot of the other kids seemed to mature a little bit and backed off some, though not completely. Having to take PE was a nightmare though - being in confined spaces without teacher's immediately around and left to fend for myself was very brutal at times (teachers - Good GOD! I would try to get in and out of the locker rooms as fast as possible without a shower, and sneak out, but often the teacher would catch me and make me go back in to take a shower. Good grief, they had no freaking idea what happened to people like me in those damned showers!) .

I did lash back once in 9th grade. In the locker room of course. One guy, unfortunately by himself without the gang that day, thought it was business as usual whipping me with the towel and calling me a F@g and I let loose on him. The next 4 years in school he never said one word to me lol. He avoided me to all end's. In retrospect, as an adult, I feel bad for beating the crap out of him, and feel like I owe him some amends for that. He was not the worst of them, he more of a follower, and he just pushed the wrong button on the wrong day. Not to justify what he was doing, but I went overboard in my response.

There were a few other times I lashed back as I grew older, usually with the same type of result where the individual would back off and leave me alone. Later in high-school most thought I was whacked and off the wall loony and dangerous and for the most part had no problem leaving me alone. I do regret that I to often ended up resorting to violence to resolve these things.

I think it comes down to confidence and self esteem. If you feel confident in yourself others, even young people, will pick up on it and tend to have second thoughts about what they say or do to you. But it took me a long time to find a little bit of that kind of confidence in myself where I would not have to resort of lashing out to get people to back off.

Not much help, but I do relate to what you say.

Guest eshaver

Arbon may I add some more to my previous story? Yes I was in Junior high, yeah 1964. The coach was raggin on me and I cornered him and tried to do physical harm to him , hell I lost it , I admit to it and to this day I would do it again given the same circumstances too! he calmed me down , however I was ready to do hard time even at my young age for the abuse he gave me every day in P E . Do you know all the so called "Tough -Guys " left me alone from then on? Yep, no one not even the Coach ever put me down , said a word out of line , anything ! I guess thats where I became an all out activist . Ellen Shaver

Guest sara w.

well i was worried about this to, and i still am (since i havn't come out yet as a TG person) so i read into it and heard about people who were bullied about this sort of this, and its actually ILLEGAL its considered sexual harrassmen if you just tell and adult about it, or confront the buillies and tell them its illegal it should stop, if it dosn't they could be charged.

hope my advice helps ;)

-sara w

P.S and another reason they could be doing this is because its probobly strange for them they don't understand the inner torment tans kids have to deal with, there in the right body so they feel like its strange, they dont know how it feels to have a boys brain and a girls body.

I know this is gonna sound kinda korny but it gets better. As a kid I was bullied all the time girls used to beat me up after school and the boys would call me names that hurt. I was a short a skinny kid, shy, and consirdered a little strange. As I got older I started hanging out with the other kids that were being picked on. I suppose that was a good thing because it helped me to grow, and to realize that getting back at them was only a waste of time. I learned to respect myself and others. To "kill" them with kindness, it didn't always work but it made me feel better. I guess what I'm saying is always be yourself and it will shine out to everyone else.

• 3 weeks later...

Sphere: listen to me and look at me! Get out of that school. I want to tell you, you need to be in agifted and talented program. Your post was impeccably written. You must do something withthis talent and getting destroyed by these bullies will do you futher emotional harm, and hinder your natural talent as a writer.

Start getting norticed. Write letters toyour local newspaper etc. But an even better idea start posting anonymous letters in your H.S. abiout the bully crowd and the crap they cause you and every one else who is differnt than their little mind culture.

The pen is mightier than the sword, pin them down, then get out of their and enroll in a school with people of your intelligence level. PRONTO................Mia.

Guest CharliTo

Hmm, I dunno if ur still getting bullied, but I have memories of that back in the days too. I would get called the f word (the 6 letter one) all the time when I was acting girly...so I tried toughening up and I confronted them and ask them what was their problem while firmly gripping their hand.

Unfortunately, this worked for me because I'm 5'11'' and I live in a state where average person is like 5'6''.

Like what mia says, pen is mightier than the sword...or another way to put that is words are more painful than punches. It stings and lasts a lot longer. When I confronted the bullies, it was more my words that stopped them than me grabbing them.

I wish I can fully remember what I was saying then. I can't remember it fully unfortunately.

It's a terrible thing...I would say it scarred me. I still feel like I'm being overly paranoid now days...and that is very common for those that got bullied behind their back.

Everybody's situation is different so there's none that's a work-for-all kinda thing. You can do something similar, but you have to make it your own. (This awfully sounds like scriptwriting btw. :)...which btw, since you write so well, u might wanna try that ;))

Hope you're doing better and let us know if you need more things to ask pleaaase.

*hug*

G'luck too.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Sphere, I'm sorry to hear about your experiences and I can relate to some extent. When I was in grade 4 I was a typical confused kid but learned very quickly the rules of the school yard. Though I had very few bullying/harassment incidents they left an impression. Luckily my family moved to a new area and I decided to re-invent my image/persona for the new school. Where I was once shy, timid and introverted, I became outgoing, friendly and funny. I made a lot of friends and that "strength in numbers" shielded me for the most part from bullying. Later on in high school I was nearly forced into fighting and I had no desire to because I knew it wouldn't end with one battle...luckily I was able to avoid it. Once I hit university I became built and never again did I experience any such incident. If you are able to move, that'd be best. If not then try to avoid confrontations as much as possible. If its a daily ongoing issue, get some authority figures or adults involved since you probably can't handle it on your own.

But at the end of the day the only thing bullies really understand is force-this is true not only for the small scale, but also between countries. If you have no options then it'd be a good idea to have a friend or two to back you up and single out each bully (when they're alone) and teach them a lesson and make sure they understand the consequences will be much more severe if they ever come after you again-fear is a good motivator. Ultimately this is war at the level of the individual. It is one person trying to brutalize and destroy another person for whatever twisted reason they have. One psychologist has referred to it as the 'authoritarian-victimizer' complex. People who most fear being victimized become authoritarian (bullies) so it doesn't happen to them.

Always remember we're human and share common weaknesses. Anyone can be dropped to their knees if you know how to fight, taking a self-defense class might serve you well. About a year ago after getting groceries in my neighborhood, near a parking lot I caught two teenage boys picking on younger kids (I think they were brother/sister). It took a great deal of willpower to restrain my rage at the bullies and they could see I was liable to snap on them. I solved the incident and gave them a very stern warning but I doubt they listened. Unfortunately in our 'free society' people can get away with a lot of evil in the shadows. Our hearts go out to you and we wish you all the best and hope you have a safe, secure future.

Guest RainBird

The links and association with both Asperger's and GID is rather interesting, I used to get bullied quite severely as a small child in primary school, coming home with many scratches and/or bruises. I had always experienced trouble with socializing and communicating with others becuase of my nature and being rather different to all the other boys, often going off doing my own thing, as a result a family doctor diagnosed me with Asperger's Syndrome when i was like 9 years old.

More recent diagnosis indicates there was confusion resulting in the striking similarity from many of the known symptoms and behavior, being correctly diagnosed with GID.

Sphere, I really feel for you, Bullies are just bad apples in the bunch (the ones that end up getting thrown out), there isn't really any point trying to gain respect from such low lives because they do not deserve your time, friendship or patience, their lack of intellegence and vulnrability is over conpensated by their acts of primative behavior in an attempt to mask what they are try to hide around others.

Just try to ignore them. Phase them out and show them that no matter what they say it isn't going get to you (like water of a ducks back), they will then get bored with the idea of trying to bug you as they can see they are not getting anywhere with it or getting the desired reactions they expect. ;)

Big hug and much luv! :)

Jacci

Guest Little Sara
Ever since I was first exposed to kids my age when I was in kindergarten, my peers have endlessly bullied me.

Because I can't fit in, because I don't know how to talk to people or deal with certain situations (I have Asperger's), because I have been so confused my entire life about my gender identity.

Even if I hid my transsexual feelings, the bullying wouldn't cease. It dramatically quieted down though... for all I know, that is.

I have social anxiety, so I'm terrified of rejection, right? But I feel a HUNDRED times more confident while at least trying to be my true self--a boy, and some days I just don't give the slightest dang what people think of me.

This is exactly me, 100%, except replace "a boy" with "a girl" in the last line. And note that to me, this was years ago. (I graduated high school 1999).

Having to take PE was a nightmare though - being in confined spaces without teacher's immediately around and left to fend for myself was very brutal at times (teachers - Good GOD! I would try to get in and out of the locker rooms as fast as possible without a shower, and sneak out, but often the teacher would catch me and make me go back in to take a shower. Good grief, they had no freaking idea what happened to people like me in those damned showers!) .

I never took a shower in PE, school, or day camp, or anything. I only took baths at home. I was never forced to take one, or told I should take one (though I'll admit, I hardly sweat). *Forcing* someone to take showers in a communal area is sexual harassment imo.

I'm pretty sure I do have AS and GID, them both separately. I was bad at socializing before GID became an issue front and center for bullies. I never made friends for one.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Thresa_XD

Sphere I know how you feel being bullied all the time in school.

I was always bullied through out my entire time in school except for late in the 9th grade. In elementary the others would always call me cry baby or sissy since I would cry or hang out with my cousin and her friends. Since I was always taller than the other kids by almost a head the teachers would just ignore my pleas and tell me to stand up for myself,but as soon as I attempted to fight back I was the one in trouble.They always believed the others because they were shorter than me.

Then in middle school I had gained a little weight and ever since I've been the fat ugly cry baby and their insults only made me eat more. The other students would tease and hit me and during middle school I would regularly come home with cuts, bruises or scrapes from being picked on. I had always had long hair but in middle school it was down to my shoulder blades and people would call me a sweetheart, sissy boy, look at the little girl, and some would say suck my penis sweetheart and start laughing with their friends. To make things worse I got my looks from my mom so when my hair was down I looked like a girl but it did make my dress ups more satisfying that I didn’t have a man face. The worst event was one time in gym when the teacher had to leave every one ganged up on me calling degrading names and taking turns hitting me and one even pretended to hump me from behind saying you like that don't you pregnant dog, as you can guess no one got in trouble for hurting me.

The only reason people stopped bullying me in high school was because I beat up a strong bully who was popular and on the foot ball team. I had been so fed up with all the abuse and insults I snapped and managed to beat him up real bad, by luck. If I had lost the fight I know for a fact I would of been bullied my entire high school years like my previous grades. I know violence shouldn’t of been the answer but I couldn’t take it any more and didn’t know what else to do at the situation. Atleast they finally left me alone for once.

I’m lucky I didn’t get in too much trouble for breaking his nose and knocking out a few teeth it was a miracle I didn’t go to jail. But ever since my school life I have been more shy than I normally was, have –55% confidence, am afraid to be in large groups or crowds with fear of being hit from my previous encounters and have no motivation or drive to do anything because I never had any one to support me,no one on my side,and not too many friends. I have grown a huge fear of society and spend most of my day in a sense of day dreaming and fantasizing. the teachers and even mom didn’t stand up for me during the abuse even with all my marks on my body they all thought I was just being a vagina who couldn’t stand up for himself.

And sadly that is exactly what I was. T_T

I hope you can get out of that environment. No one ever should be treated this way.

Guest Little Sara
Since I was always taller than the other kids by almost a head the teachers would just ignore my pleas and tell me to stand up for myself,but as soon as I attempted to fight back I was the one in trouble.They always believed the others because they were shorter than me.

It seems they don't care if you're a head shorter than everyone either. Because staff blamed me for my being bullied and I was one of the shortest kids (girls included) in all my grades except maybe 11th grade, I wasn't extremely-outlier, but just 'very outlier' in 11th grade. For a boy I have always been "extremely outlier" except at 18 (not in school then) when I attained my final height, then I became "very outlier" heh.

• 2 weeks later...

Pepper spray and brass knuckles work wonderfully in this situation. Kidding.

I'm just tryin' to be funny...and probably failing.

Anywho, I got bullied by this puddle of snot when I was in grade and middle school.

He was always bigger than me then and he used to scare the peepee out of me, right?

Well, he stopped growin' somewhere along the way and I know for a fact he wouldn't post up with me now.

He's a very sad and pathetic individual. It's common knowledge here in town that he beats his wife.

But that's a very relevant bit of info, you realize?

That's what bullies do. They prey upon who they feel to be weaker and less a challenge, if at all opposition in the least.

Guest Donna Jean
He's a very sad and pathetic individual. It's common knowledge here in town that he beats his wife.

But that's a very relevant bit of info, you realize?

That's what bullies do. They prey upon who they feel to be weaker and less a challenge, if at all opposition in the least.

How right you are, Amie.....pathetic!

My own personal bullie would poke a sharp pencil in my leg while I was going down the school stairs or knock the books out of my hands in the hall...

But he overstepped his bullie bounds over the years and is now doing serious time at The Lucasville Correctional Institute here in Ohio.....and my first reaction to that is to say "Good for his sorry self!", but actually it makes me quite sad.....

Unfortunatly there will always be bullies of some sort...always someone who needs thier self esteem lifted at the expense of others!

XXOO

Donna Jean

My own personal bullie would poke a sharp pencil in my leg while I was going down the school stairs or knock the books out of my hands in the hall...

But he overstepped his bullie bounds over the years and is now doing serious time at The Lucasville Correctional Institute here in Ohio.....and my first reaction to that is to say "Good for his sorry self!", but actually it makes me quite sad.....

Unfortunatly there will always be bullies of some sort...always someone who needs thier self esteem lifted at the expense of others!

XXOO

Donna Jean

Ha! Lucasville...that's the big house here in our state.

They had a pretty bad riot in that bad boy once.

Betcha he's the bullyee in there right now, huh?

But yeah, your pretty accurate on the description, Donna Jean.

I guess my feminine side wasn't that well hidden, I was smaller but not the smallest in my class (boy has that changed) but for some reason there was always one of the tough kids.

You know the ones - they weren't bullies but the bullies never would mess with them - and one of them would always hang around with me enough to scare off the bullies.

Sort of like a big brother protecting his little sister.

I was very lucky, especialy since one of the bullies in my Junior High built a spring loaded pocket knife inshop class and tested it out in gym class, his target had to have stitches but he was OK.

Love ya,

Sally

I guess my feminine side wasn't that well hidden, I was smaller but not the smallest in my class (boy has that changed) but for some reason there was always one of the tough kids.

You know the ones - they weren't bullies but the bullies never would mess with them - and one of them would always hang around with me enough to scare off the bullies.

Sort of like a big brother protecting his little sister.

I was very lucky, especialy since one of the bullies in my Junior High built a spring loaded pocket knife inshop class and tested it out in gym class, his target had to have stitches but he was OK.

Love ya,

Sally

Wow.

That's a little too much like somethin' from the movie, Bad Boys.

I love that movie though.

Remember that one, with Sean Penn.

LOL.

Guest Thresa_XD

XXOO

Donna Jean

Oh my God.

I thought I was the only one who got stabbed by pencils from a bully. In middle school there was a bully who would hang around with his friends to bully and hit me. one day they held me down on my desk and one of them stabbed my hand with the pencil and broke it off in my skin. I still have a black dot under my skin and I think when I pinch the area I feel lead still in there.another time in elementary a girl stabbed my leg and it started to bleed but it wasn't as bad as the hand.

God this brings back bad memories.T_T

Guest Donna Jean
Kids can be very cruel but it DOES get better when you get older. :)

Right you are, Z....

It does get better.....with time.

Not much consolation for someone who's experiencing it now, I'm afraid...

Time seems so loooooog for younger folks...........and so quick for us older....

But, as usual...Zabrak is right!

Bullies deserve a special place in Hades...right next to wife beaters.....

Guest Alyssa Leigh

I never was really bullied except for a few times but i was able to turn it around on the bullies doing it, they thought i was sicodic because I always hung around the goth kids and they new if they would mess with me they would have to deal with all of them also. I think its pretty funny when people stand up to the bullies how fast they back down.

Guest sphere

Wow, haven't been online for quite a while.

Lately I haven't been caring what people think of me at all. At all. So for the past few months, bullying was no worries for me.

I still get people talking smack about me behind my back all the time, but hey, what else is new? If they're not man enough to say it to my face, who gives a care. :)