• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

In light of the whole Chic-FIl-A fiasco...

Guest Velanna

Guest Velanna

Hey all!

Recently, Chic-Fil-A has announced that they do not support same sex marriages. This has caused an uproar in the homosexual community, mainly strong disagreement. However, there are people who disagree who have been back-lashing against Chic-Fil-A on their thoughts of it all and nearly trying to get them to change their minds with a lot of talk. Even some going as far as refusing to eat at this fast food chain!

Personally, I strongly disagree with Chic-Fil-A however, it IS their constitutional right to express their opinion based on their beliefs. So, as much as I dislike their beliefs on the matter, I cannot and will not do anything about it!

As far as eating at the restaurant, well... a funny video on youtube puts it quite nicely, there's no need to not eat there anymore just cause they don't support same sex unions! Kind of like those who refused to eat Oreos after Oreo announced they support same sex marriages!

If you want to see the video on youtube, you can look for it yourself! I believe it's called "Chow Down on Chic-Fil-A" or something by willam belli!

What are your thoughts on the matter?

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Carolyn Marie

• JJ

• Sally

• VickySGV

Guest Sarinah

I respect their right to hold that belief. I can not expect them to respect me in spite of our difference if I dont respect them. My family holds the same view and I am still a part of them. I wont stop eating chic-fil-a. They treat me like another customer so I treat them like another restaurant.

-Evalyn

Guest Lizzie McTrucker

While I do support their right to have an opinion, a photograph recently has been floating around the internet about a picture at a Plano TX CFA stating the reason they were pulling their Jim Hensen kid's meal toys was because of a potential safety hazard. This is an outright lie since the Hensen Company pulled their toys because they are fully supportive of gay marriage, whereas CFA is not.

I personally am torn on this issue. On one hand, I fully support gay marriage. On the other hand, Chik-Fil-A is soooo good.

Guest Maria_B

If you use a non-socialpolitical entity to support socialpolitical stances, you can eat the back end of dwindling profits respectively.

Guest KimberlyF

I know of a lesbian who manages a restaurant. She is out. The restaurants are franchised. The people who own them may have zero to do with this issue but maybe if sales are down, one of the people laid off in this down economy is in the LGBT, while the mcD's franchise is owned by someone supporting the same groups as this guy everyone is peed at. He's done it for years. It's only an issue cause he talked about it.

• Forum Moderator

Everyone has to decide for themselves, I for instance no longer support Salvation Army-even shop there-because of their anti-LGBT support..It can make a difference if it spreads and enough people do it -many policies have been changed in companies over the years by consumer boycotts-but they have to be a number large enough to have an impact to change any company. Otherwise it is just a personal choice about supporting their policy on an individual basis.

That said I don't think Chic-Fil-A will change from a boycott or public opinion because their Sunday closure shows their principles are more important to them than their bottom line. Normally an admirable thing. Too bad it is conservative Christian in this case.

Still-it's their right. And mine not to eat there anymore. Just as it is each individual's to choose for themselves.

Johnny

Guest Mia J

The CEO has the right to believe anyway he wants. I respect that.

However, He does send contributions to anti-LGBT groups.

Because of that I will not eat there and spend money that may go to causes against us.

Besides, there food is not that good or healthy.

Mia

• Admin

I didn't eat there before. I won't eat there now. I am prejudiced against boring food. Chicken sandwiches are boring.

Now, where did I put that taco?

Carolyn Marie

Guest Shari

I won't eat there. They said that their position was non-political, but that's not true. The public comments were intended to continue suppressing the LGBT minority. The representation that it was a Christian position was also faulty, it's not religious, it's social. The bottom line is that he took a public stance against equal rights.

Eat where you want, this is just my opinion, but I think we have to educate people that statements of this kind are morally corrupt.

By the way, I loved their food and ate there often. I've had my last sandwich there. We all lose.

Shari

Guest Velanna

I did a little more research and like Mia J pointed out they do contribute to anti-LGBT groups.

I may accept that they are expressing their constitutional rights by not supporting same sex marriages, that's fine. But contributing to anti-LGBT groups... I'm not going to give them my money for them to send to these groups that work against my rights.

Besides, as Mia J also put, it's unhealthy! And I'm trying to cut down food intake and lose weight! So...no thanks.

• Admin

What about the civil rights of the chickens too?? I do think they are involved in fowl play too.

Guest Velanna

I don't give a cluck about the chickens!! Hahahahaha!!

Seriously, though even though I feel for the chickens...well, there's not much to add there, is there? I just wish they would allow the chickens to die of natural causes instead of over injecting them with hormones and having them die of heart attacks and what not...

Guest ~Brenda~

Thankfully, this place does not exist in CT.

I remember seeing an interview with the mayor of a texas town who is an out lesbian. The cheers and support for her was overwhelming. LGBT will become mainstream very soon in history.

Wait and see :)

Love.

Brenda

Guest LizMarie

Mayor Anise Parker is the mayor of Houston, Texas. Most people in the US can rattle off the largest 3 cities in the US (New York, Los Angeles, and Chicago) but very few realize that Houston is fourth. People think of Philadelphia, Phoenix, Dallas, San Diego, or San Francisco before they think of Houston.

Mayor Parker is the first lesbian mayor of a major US city. Houston is extremely multi-cultural. The Montrose area is home to many GLBT organizations. And Houston became the adopted home of many former New Orleans residents after Katrina, many of whom chose to stay.

The CEO of Chik-Fil-A is completely within his First Amendment rights to say whatever he pleases. And we, as customers are completely free to take our business elsewhere. But what Mayor Rahm Emanuel is doing in Chicago, hinting that business permits will be denied based on simple free speech is un-constitutional and heavy handed. If Chik-Fil-A is found to engage in actual discriminatory practices, there are legal avenues to handle that. Denying them a business license based on free speech is not the right way to do that. Because if Emanuel does it now, even if some in the GLBT community support it, someday it could be turned and used against us. That's what legal precedent means.

Mayor Emanuel should stick to being a mayor and not a tinpot dictator, even if he means well. Let the CEO of Chik-Fil-A say whatever he wants but see what their company actually does. And if the actions are discriminatory, then there is legal basis for action.

Guest Janice Lynn

I didn't eat there before. I won't eat there now. I am prejudiced against boring food. Chicken sandwiches are boring.

Now, where did I put that taco?

Carolyn Marie

So much chicken these days has only a faint hint of chicken

taste.

That's why God made pico de gallo, salsa, garlic, and onions.

We needed something to make chicken taste like something.

Hmmm .... I've heard chicken tastes like rattlesnake. Why is

it that things we don't like to eat are said to taste like chicken?

:dunno:

Guest Janice Lynn

Mayor Anise Parker is the mayor of Houston, Texas. Most people in the US can rattle off the largest 3 cities in the US (New York, Los Angeles, and Chicago) but very few realize that Houston is fourth. People think of Philadelphia, Phoenix, Dallas, San Diego, or San Francisco before they think of Houston.

Mayor Parker is the first lesbian mayor of a major US city. Houston is extremely multi-cultural. The Montrose area is home to many GLBT organizations. And Houston became the adopted home of many former New Orleans residents after Katrina, many of whom chose to stay.

The CEO of Chik-Fil-A is completely within his First Amendment rights to say whatever he pleases. And we, as customers are completely free to take our business elsewhere. But what Mayor Rahm Emanuel is doing in Chicago, hinting that business permits will be denied based on simple free speech is un-constitutional and heavy handed. If Chik-Fil-A is found to engage in actual discriminatory practices, there are legal avenues to handle that. Denying them a business license based on free speech is not the right way to do that. Because if Emanuel does it now, even if some in the GLBT community support it, someday it could be turned and used against us. That's what legal precedent means.

Mayor Emanuel should stick to being a mayor and not a tinpot dictator, even if he means well. Let the CEO of Chik-Fil-A say whatever he wants but see what their company actually does. And if the actions are discriminatory, then there is legal basis for action.

LizMarie,

You are absolutely dead right on this. Mayor Emanuel has brazenly taken the position that

he has the right to exclude a business organization or corporation on the sole basis of its

position on a social issue. You are correct in understanding that while we may agree with

his support of civil unions or gay marriages, the same kind of arrogant abuse of power

could easily be used against the LGBT community in dozens of cities around the U.S. who

have yet to grasp the legitimacy of our cause.

Personally, if I lived in Chicago I would find it kind of creepy to think that a mayor is

given the kind of power Emanuel has presumed to be his own. Executive fiat ... bleh!

• Forum Moderator

As a veggie i don't give a flying cluck about these idiots. I do think the have a right to be as stupid as they are but they also seem to be able to make money selling horrible food created from abused creatures.

Hugs,

Charlie

Guest JennaMarieTX

Chick-fil-A has announced that they are homophobic. They support and donate large amounts of money to groups and organizations that actively denounce the GLBT community, and it is my understanding that some of these groups even condone so-called "aversion thereapy" for gays, and likely for transgender people as well. While the president of Chick-fil-A claims they do not hate gays, his actions speak louder than words.

I will no more respect their "beliefs" on this than I would respect their beliefs if they announced their support for the Ku Klux Klan, or any other hate-mongering organization! Will I continue to eat at their restaurants? Absolutely NOT!

Guest Jal Marie

The CEO of Chic-fil-A has the right to say as he pleases but the problem with this entire situation is beyond free speech it is social disorder. He supports laws that will oppress a certain segment of society which contradicts the entire United States Constitution by his giving money to organizations therefore he is physically supporting specific citizens from enjoying the same liberty and justice. We all should learn from our own history that any time a minority is denied equal rights under the law it creates social discontent which all to often is in the form of physical violence towards those being oppressed. It teaches that being uncivil and disrespectful is proper in society.

Purchasing his product is in effect supporting discrimination against ourselves. There are a few companies and organizations I will not give money or buy their products because they openly and physically support discrimination of law abiding citizens. Every person and group that stands against marriage equality do so because of their religion. If these people were true to their religion then they would also include that murders, rapist, pedophiles people convicted of domestic assault, thieves and robbers would also be banned from marriage. Imagine that LGBT citizens have fewer rights than convicted felons!

Guest KimberlyF

LizMarie,

You are absolutely dead right on this. Mayor Emanuel has brazenly taken the position that

he has the right to exclude a business organization or corporation on the sole basis of its

position on a social issue. You are correct in understanding that while we may agree with

his support of civil unions or gay marriages, the same kind of arrogant abuse of power

could easily be used against the LGBT community in dozens of cities around the U.S. who

have yet to grasp the legitimacy of our cause.

Personally, if I lived in Chicago I would find it kind of creepy to think that a mayor is

given the kind of power Emanuel has presumed to be his own. Executive fiat ... bleh!

Emanuel has already started to back down. This is all political theater. It's easy to take on Christian groups and a big restaurant chain, but a whole lot of people are asking why Louis Farakahn has never had permit issues or anyone from the Nation of Islam. They are openly anti-gay and anti-semitic. One difference would be the owner of the one Chic-Fil-A in Chicago counts members of the LGBT community among their staff which wouldn't be allowed with Farakahn's group.

Even the ACLU has come out backing CFA now.

Guest Pammy

CFA isn't the only company to be against gay marriage. Domino's is another. There are many. I generally don't bother to keep a list of whom I support and whom I boycott. I really can't be fussed.

I tend to eat at Eatzi's and the local Jewish deli because the food and service are outstanding! And HANG the expense! I like what I like.

Love

Pam

Basically the owner has the right to implement any policies that do not go against the 'law of the land' - the president said that he does not refuse service to anyone but he does donate money to organizations that oppose same sex marriage.

He has the same right to interpret or misinterpret the Bible as anyone else.

But he believes in the 'Biblical definition of marriage' (although there really isn't one) so if you wanted to marry his daughter you would need to give him five goats and promise to have only one wife and call all of the others concubines - Old School values. :thumbsup:

Love ya,

Sally

Guest Sarinah

Some of the organizations CFA supports do have anti-LGB stances, but that is a small part of what those companies stand for as a whole. Two of the big ones cited against CFA are there support of the Fellowship of Christian Athletes (FCA) and Focus on the Family. Both of these organizations do allot of things that make me upset, and they do allot of things that are amazingly good for the community. Ive seen first hand what the FCA has done for some people, my father was contracted by them as a graphic designer for most of my life. If I try to boycott every corporation or organization that has practices or beliefs that I dont agree with I would never be able to partake in any organization in our country. None of them are perfectly inline with my beliefs. I weigh the costs of the good and the bad and make my decisions that way.

This may sound like blasphemy coming from a trans person who identifies Bi, but there are things more important to me than who the government recognizes my marriage too.

-Evalyn