• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Military Vets Twice as Likely to be Trans

Guest LizMarie

Are Men in the Military More Likely to be Transgender? That's the question that appears to be answered by a recent study that shows the number of vets identifying as trans is twice that of the general population. Why? As the article puts it, "A striking similarity was noted in the histories of nearly all of the military gender dysphorics... They joined the service, in their words, 'to become a real man.'"

I can state flatly that this was one of two reasons I joined the military - to become a "real man" and to put food on the table for a new spouse. But to see a study saying that many of us joined the military seeking validation of being male is interesting and turns this from being anecdotal to being statistically relevant.

It certainly does make sense - a lot of us tried various ways to become 'real men' - it did not seem to work for any of us but it never stopped us from trying.

I was not in the military but I played a lot of sports - I never really enjoyed flag football that much (I wanted to be quarterback and they made me play defensive line) but I played with one group or another just about everyday in college.

I also wonder about people in extremely hazardous lines of work aren't busy trying to prove something to themselves as well - that could be another interesting study.

Love ya,

Sally

Guest crissy_oakley

There were many reasons, why I joined the USMC in 1986. Proving my manhood, is among them. While I loved my time in my beloved Corps, ultimately, my service never proved or disproved I was a man. However, being on my own allowed me to explore my gender and sexuality. At the time, conducting an homosexual act could cause you to be court-marshaled and if found guilty, you would be consider a felon. While I never considered myself a gay male, while I was serving, I did experiment with same sex act to allow me to at least feel feminine. This brought on a tremendous amount of guilt. Guilt for not being true to the ethics of the USMC and for not being who I truly am. However, it was those very same ethics, I found so valuable when I began my transition.

crissy

Guest MsPerseveres

I'm ex-military as well, in part to fund university, but much more importantly to become a real man. I can see a number of other "manly" things that I've done over the years in a different light now...

Brenda

• 2 weeks later...

I went in the military as well and when I didn't feel adequately male from that experience, I decided to add law enforcement afterwards. It was in an attempt to overcompensate for how I felt inside.

It wasn't until after I transitioned into laboratory medicine and worked with all female techs that I felt like I finally found a good fit for who I really was. I was able to relax and fit in. The pressure was off. And I became so successful at it, that my coworkers just accepted me as one of the girls. As Nancy, one of my coworkers put it, I could girl talk with the best of them on any subject.

Kathryn

Guest Megan_Lynn

Had joined the Army at age 27. More so to do the right thing. That meaning was always under the impression real men ( the manlier the better) did what needed done to provide for the family. At the time there was like zero jobs that paid better then minimum wage in the area I lived in at that time. It was by far the worst time of my life and caused me to consider ending it all on a darn near daily basis. Only thing that kept me going was the people depending on me for support( aka wife and kids). It was just after had finished basic and AIT that I got my first ever Computer and access to the Internet. It was at this time that I had run across the word transsexual for the first time. Being a curious person that I am I was like what is that. So did some research on it. When I started to read about it I was like OMG that is me. Had always thought I was totally crazy in the head before this for how I felt. Was scared to say of do anything about it for fear I would be committed to a mental ward. As a child it was well pounded in to me that acting anything other then totally manly was unacceptable. So this kept the real me locked up very tight out of pure fear. So here I was just turned 28 and finally for the first time understood who and what I was. Only problem now was my butt was owned by uncle sam and was not going to hurt my family buy saying anything. This in turn made me even more miserable as I knew the truth and was unable to do anything about it at the time. So many times driving to morning pt I wanted to just rap my car around a tree to stop the pain. Never once did I ever attempt to end it all but if I had a nickel for each time I had though about it during my military stint I would be worth more then Bill Gates. Anywho the point of my rant is did not join the Army to become a man but was able to find out I sure as heck was not one during my tour. Have however done a billions things to try to be as manly as possible to keep others happy.

• Admin

I was never in the military, but I did end up in law enforcement. Part of me liked the excitement and cameraderie, part of me hoped to prove that I was a "man" to those around me, which is the same type of reasoning folks went into the military. I imagine there are a fair number of closet TS's in the sworn ranks.

Carolyn Marie

Guest .Christine Elizabeth.

I thought of joining when I was 16 (the think, not the joining lol) before I realized who I was to prove myself so to speak.

• 1 month later...
Guest HeatherNC

Are Men in the Military More Likely to be Transgender? That's the question that appears to be answered by a recent study that shows the number of vets identifying as trans is twice that of the general population. Why? As the article puts it, "A striking similarity was noted in the histories of nearly all of the military gender dysphorics... They joined the service, in their words, 'to become a real man.'"

I can state flatly that this was one of two reasons I joined the military - to become a "real man" and to put food on the table for a new spouse. But to see a study saying that many of us joined the military seeking validation of being male is interesting and turns this from being anecdotal to being statistically relevant.

For me, the driving reason I joined was to get out of the small dead end town I have grown up in. The type of town that if you didnt get a major scholarship to go to college, you were pretty much slated to work at one of three factories. I actually tried to join 4 other branches of service before the US Navy took me in.

But while growing up, I knew I was far different from everyone else and Yes I was super scared when I left my home town. I never suffered from home sickens and actually felt stifled when I went home to visit my family. I was a bit of a loner as some people would never understand what I was feeling or going though. I did discover that I was forcing an Ultra Male tough shell on my outside persona and it felt like armor to protect myself from the other males.

Ironically, now Im Pretransition and looking for a gender therapist in my area, I have found a few so I am making an appointment with one of them.

BTW please dont mind the spelling and grammar errors, I have always thought much faster than I can type. :)

-Heather

• 4 weeks later...

I definitely joined the Army because I was unhappy with my gender and life. Before the Army, I had a successful business but was never content. I knew what was wrong, but was too cowardly to admit it and say it aloud. I was hoping going in the Army and doing the manliest profession I can think of can help me feel better and happier. It definitely did not. While I enjoyed my job, it left an even emptier void in me than ever.

I am almost positive there are more transgender service members than even the study cites. The biggest reason I think is feelings of shame and inadequacy in society (I felt like that). It also makes me wonder about the suicide rates of vets and how many of them might be GID related. I was very close to suicide and I exhibited all the traditional signs of PTSD. I was a combat vet, unbelievably angry, withdrawn, had sleep issues, was completely isolated, and extremely depressed and unmotivated. I left no clues what so ever about my GID. I didn't cross dress, I didn't look up anything on my internet that could be traced back to me. If I had killed myself, the rest of the world would of claimed it was PTSD related.

• 2 months later...
Guest pixytgirl

I am ex-army, i enjoy some of it and other parts werent so great. I am proud of my service to my country. but i joined because i did like military things...i loved my tanks and tactical stuff, but also i was under alot of pressure from my family since i would be the third generation soldier in my unit, plus my family's need for me to be 'the eldest son'. it made things worse. after two enlistments i left. i never truely fit in and there are very few if any women in any combat arms unit and those that are, are only temporarily attached from other fields. it very hard, i was mechanized infantry specializing in antiarmor and vehicle crew and i felt like a girl in a boys club. i wasnt into guys and even then when i didnt know about being transsexual i felt i was a lesbian trapped in a boys body. i knew that any homosexual activity was illegal under the UCMJ and extremely forbidden in my family but i did try to experiment and see if i was into guys but no, so it made it easier but i thought if i stay in and exposed to all those biological males i would not keep feeling that way but nope didnt change it and i wished everyday i could be a female just like ever since i was 9 it never stopped.

Guest Kelly-087

I almost joined the Marine Corps for the same reasons.

Fortunately my brother talked me out of it, telling me it wasnt the life for me. He was right there.

Guest AlanaMarie

I recently discussed this issue with my psych a couple of weeks ago. Although I didn't know any other TS girls when I was on active duty, I did know that "manning up" was not working on me. My enlistment was with the Navy and I stayed just ahead of the draft board in enlisting. I was called a "titless Wave" by other sailors and some suggested that I'd make somebody a good wife one day. I never hid my gentle nature or nurturing qualities, let alone attention to detail. But I did hide my wardrobe. Fortunately, whenever I was stationed in CONUS, I lived off base and could live MY life. But the need to be female never went away, it only became stronger due to supression, especially while living onboard a ship. But that supression, the imposed need to "man up" and live a "normal" life took its toll on me. Only now am I letting the full expression of my femininity out and enjoying every minute of it. It is a wonderful thing to finally be pulling all the aspects of my female existence together.

Alana

• 2 months later...
Guest Mandi Moore

I have been in for 25 years and never really thought about it before. This article has opened up my eyes to some of the under lying reasons that I have done the things I've done. I don't regret any of the time I've spent in the Army [it has taught me many valuable lessons].

Guest Gina9223

In one command we had a classic 'witch hunt'. A new commanding officer heard a bit of juicy news from a new enlisted person to the command.

The resulting witch hunt nabbed about 30 people. Over 20 lesbians, 1 gay man, 3 FtM's and 2 MtF's. All were kicked out in short order, totally gutted the command.

My next command, while deployed on a frigate the ship lost a person because they were MtF. I sat down then and figured out how many people I served with and how many of them were Transgender and Intersex.

So, over 20 years I worked with;

MtF 1 in 600

FtM 1 in 500

IS 1 in 1,000

• 2 weeks later...
Guest sophia.gentry58

This topic is rather ironic for me. I have always felt that my reasons for joining the military was because I wanting to further my education and support my newborn child, which in part was true though I failed miserably at both. However, in reading about this topic it dawned on me of an experience I had just before joining the military. I have always or at least as long as I can remember had thoughts of wanting to be female, but I think I was able to keep those thoughts at bay because I loved doing all the typical engaging activities young boys get into. However, in my teens my feelings and urges of wanting to be female became so strong that I had two homosexual encounters; one when I was about 14/15 with a fully grown man and the other, just a couple of months before entering the military (I signed up delay entry), with who I thought was a genetic female. By then my urges of wanting to be a female and especially wanting to be a female while making love to another female was so strong that when I realized what was happening I flowed right into my role. Afterwards though I felt so guilty about that sexual interlude that my thoughts were at the time, that, if I go into the military I will be involved in so much "macho stuff" that I will become a real man and have no more thoughts of wanting to be a female. I had totally forgotten about that memory of justification for going into the military until reading your topic LizMarie; thank you very much, believe it or not, that was therapeutic for me.

Sophia

• 1 month later...
Guest Wendae

I only had a panty fetish prior to joining the corps. Being a military brat I joined for the education and the medical and retirement benifits. After my first tour in Nam the urge to crossdress became very strong as did the desire to transition.I retired on 20 and never followed my dream. I'm still just a sad CDer. I just can't do that to my wife and family. I do get to dress and get about every so often.

Guest GinaInside

LizMarie,

Thank you for this thread!

Being male never came easy for me. It was brought to my attention that I wasn't quite masculine enough when I was very young, and always struggled to fake it. When I hit puberty, I knew I had a major problem. I did come from a family that had always done military service, so I saw a solution. I joined, at 17, for 3 reasons really:

1) I believed, and still believe, that Freedom is earned. People served for our Freedom before us, and it is every able-bodied person's duty to serve. (A bit too star-spangled, I know ;))

2) I really hoped the US Army could make a man out of me, because I had wanted a sex-change since before I knew such things existed, and really feared the ramifications thereof.

3) If the US Army couldn't make a man out of me, at least I had a reasonable chance for an honorable death. I was in during the late 1970's, and there is always the off-chance that the government would find a country to invade or something. And, at least I thought that kind of death would be better than being outed as a Transsexual.

But, the US Army couldn't make a man out of me. Try as I might, it didn't work, and my fellow soldiers saw right through me. They thought I was gay, which lead to my discharge after only 2 years of service. It is an extreme point of shame for me, that I couldn't even make it through a 3 year enlistment without being outed as other-than-straight. Even though I never had a gay encounter, that's how I was tagged.

After that, I embraced hyper-masculinity with a death-wish, biker, oil-field hand, extreme mountaineer, none of it worked, or took the shame, or pain away. My worst mistake after failing as a Soldier, was not accepting my fate and Transitioning.

Perhaps one day, the military can accommodate Trans-people, they can just serve, and live without fear or shame.

Guest Seanna

Perhaps one day, the military can accommodate Trans-people, they can just serve, and live without fear or shame.

What a great day that will be! I think it's going to be awhile, though.

<3 Sheala

Guest kayla.jade

I'm an Army vet as well. I see my story being told through the voices of others here. The military is just a magnet for trans people. The hypermasculine atmosphere attracts MTFs trying to "be a real man" or whatever and also the FTMs who can generally be as masculine as they please. At least it seems that way from what I saw.

Guest praxis

I disagree that there should always be a three way correlation between manhood, military service, and a desire to become transsexual.

I myself served 5 formative years in the US Marine Corps (1998-2003). It strongly shapes my perspective now, but my service has actually given me great self esteem - not about gender, but just about who I am, that I can actively define ME; with some creativity and some anxiety am realizing that my "shadow self" is very much a woman. I had served honorably and attained a pretty good rank in short time. I wasn't 'moto' (usmc slang), I darn sure wasn't career material, but nobody ever called me a s***bag (also usmc slang).

Sure there were things I'm a little embarrassed about; like getting caught on base 'enjoying myself' in a one-piece swimsuit. Or wearing a (not stuffed) 36B under my sweatshirt one day at the office (I suspect the straps were subtly noticeable). Coming out and my "confusion" has and remains difficult. I'm still homophobic, except now against my own emerging self. Reflecting back to age 18, I don't think my joining was because of gender inadequacy (sensu stricto), but because I was an undeveloped persona and wanted become an overall better person. split hairs? hopefully not ;)

Guest Seanna

Praxis,
You are not wrong that a lot of people join the military just to better themselves in general and I don't doubt your reasons, but it's not the same for everyone. There is an undeniable pattern of trans women joining primarily as an attempt to become more masculine, as being in the military is about the most manly thing most of us could imagine. Many of us also had other reason (service to country, money for school, a decent paycheck, etc.), but the "becoming a man" theme seems to be at least a piece of the decision more often than not..

Also, I'm a little confused as to what you mean by "a desire to become transsexual". Do you just mean the desire to transition? I've never known anyone who desired to BE transsexual. Could you please elaborate?

<3 Sheala

Edited by Seanna
Merged consecutive posts at Shea's request
Guest praxis

Also, I'm a little confused as to what you mean by "a desire to become transsexual". Do you just mean the desire to transition? I've never known anyone who desired to BE transsexual. Could you please elaborate?

<3 Sheala

I think maybe it would read better as: "...between manhood, military service, and transsexualism."