• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Paul Ryan and LGBT Rights

Carolyn Marie

Guest crissy_oakley

The Paul Ryan apparent stand on gay marriage does cause me some pause. Since, I am not a "one issue" voter, this stand alone, is not going to sway me, one direction or the other. The President's stand is merely political and the repeal of the "Defense of Marriage Act", is not at the forefront of his agenda. I would much rather vote for someone who is going to adhere to his/her values (even if I disagree with them) than somebody who's values depend on which special interest group is in the audience.

I can understand ignorance and believe it is forgivable if the person works on being enlightened. But it seems to me that Ryan voted for ENDA, but tried to back out of it reeks of political posturing and insincerity. IMO the main reason Ryan was chosen as VP running mate is to energize the base conservative vote. Romney is taking a gamble that the number of increased votes from the base will be greater than the potential votes lost from independents and moderates.

Jenny

Politicians are representatives of their consituents. Their job security relies on their vote that represents the majority of the potential voters in their district. They become wishy-washy on subjects where people tend to have strong views that go one way or the other. His votes on ENDA refelects that he wants it both ways. He wants an out to point to when conservative voters push him about his vote and he wants to be able to show his liberal voters, see, I voted for ENDA to give LGBT people employment rights. We will never know his true feelings. Too many politicians learn to bury their true feelings from the public. It's why Washinton is paralyzed by partissan politics.

Think about what 24 hour news and how it plays to partisanship in our society. I believe that it is the internet that will eventually level the playing field. We used to have real journalists who buried their true beliefs and reported the news honestly and fairly. They went out and reported news stories, no matter how it painted politicians, good or bad, they were professionals who reported the news. Now they are nothing more than mouthpieces and cheer leaders for the partisan politics that they believe in whether it is the far left views or the far right views. When is the last time you found a middle of the road, independant journalist? Their is no honesty in journalism today. They are as as bad as the politicians that they are trying to get elected.

God help us and this country.

Kathryn

• Forum Moderator

It's all hot air, this guy is a dork, sorry I don't have much else to say, it's just sad.

C -

• 3 weeks later...
  • Forum Moderator

I can understand ignorance and believe it is forgivable if the person works on being enlightened. But it seems to me that Ryan voted for ENDA, but tried to back out of it reeks of political posturing and insincerity. IMO the main reason Ryan was chosen as VP running mate is to energize the base conservative vote. Romney is taking a gamble that the number of increased votes from the base will be greater than the potential votes lost from independents and moderates.

Jenny

And, I think that Romney's gonna crap out!

Mike

The thing that bothers me the most about all of the speeches that I have had the misfortune of hearing are so full of misinformation (polite term for out and out lies) and the news people are talking about the fact checkers will be going over these - didn't it used to be the job of journalists to check facts?

When Ryan gave his incredibly inaccurate speech filled with numbers pulled from somewhere out of thin air it would have been nice to see a scroll with the correct numbers.

I guess that politicians have taken a cue from historians and are just rewriting history as they go instead of going back and cleaning it up later.

Love ya,

Sally

I have noticed the way Both R&R have tried to avoid giving an answer when ask about equality rights. I find them extremely scary thinking of what they will do to our rights and our environmental if they win.

Mia

• Who's Online   4 Members, 0 Anonymous, 177 Guests (See full list)

• KathyLauren
    • Ashley0616
    • atlantis63
    • Heather Shay