• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Home alone for the weeked, and.....

Guest Meril

I want to try some makeup on for the first time......

But I literally have no idea where to start.

Please, someone, advice of any kind? xD;

Like, a list of steps would be lovely; Feel free to generalize....I have a wide variety of different things here, and I'm sure I can figure out which is which.

Thanks in advance!

~Meril~

• Admin

Meril, the best place to start is probably a couple of Youtube videos. There are some excellent ones by transwomen.

But, if you want some advice in print, here is the sequence of events that I go through:

Foundation, just a little, unless you are trying to cover heavy beard shadow. You might need stage makeup or concealer for that.

Then eyebrow pencil or gel if yours are light or thin. Otherwise, leave it alone.

Then eye shadow, in a shade to match what you are wearing, preferably.

Then eyeliner, but not too much, and be VERY careful in applying, as you want to keep just a thin line on the upper lid, close to the edge, and a very light line on the lower lid. The last thing you want is to look like a raccoon.

Last, some light application of blush.

Hope that helps.

Carolyn Marie

That's excellent, exactly what I need. Thanks! x3

Thankfully, I barely grow facial hair as is, so standard foundation should do just fine, from what you said~

Any other tips would be greatly appreciated to, as I plan to spend Sunday experimenting > 3<

*Is now slightly excited*

• Admin

Do you have proper brushes, Meril? You need at least three different types; a foundation brush, an eye shadow brush, and one to apply the blush (sorry, I couldn't say blush brush without cracking myself up. :P ). If you can afford good ones, go for it. Cheap ones won't last long, and won't work as well. I like the Sephora section at J.C. Penney.

HUGS

Carolyn Marie

Uhm, I only see two......

A rather thick one, dark and fairly soft, and a thinner, more precise looking one.....

Is there any way to use one for multiple purposes, without something going horribly awry? xD;.....

• Admin

I use liquid foundation, so I do not need a brush for that, but a kleenex or sponge for blotting will help. The bigger brush will probably do fine for the blush. The small fine one could be used for powder eye shadow and possibly for your eyebrows if you are using a powder style eyebrown liner. Just be sure to tap the brush on the side of the makeup container to avoid mixing the two items.

Before all is a quick but thorough job with a razor, get behind the jaw bone too.

My routine is to do the eyelids and liner first. I like the crayon type liner pencils, and I get by with only my upper lid due to my eye structure which is faintly Native American.

A quick few spots of moisturizer on my forehead, and then my liquid foundation, just applied with the finger tips, but on the bridge and tip of the nose too.

Eyebrows come next. I do use a powder eyebrow color and a small flat brush, but a pencil also works, but use a bunch of short, almost sketch like strokes with a pencil.

Blush on cheeks, forehead in the center two thirds up and down, and chin. The blush on the chin and upper lip area help in beard covering too.

'

Line you lips right on the lines of them, then color the rest in with lipstick.

It has taken me four times longer to write this than to do it. -- Have fun.

Liquid foundation.......Totally have some of that, awesome x3

As far as efficiency, Vicky, It'll probably take me no less than four times as long to actually do that as I imagine it will.....a long time, for sure > -<

But thanks, both of you, for the tips ^^ If all works out well, maybe I'll take some pics (assuming of course, I'm so terribly inexperienced as to make a total mess of myself) and put them on my profile, if you're interested;

Now then, off to sort the wares and make tomorrows plan......

Guest angels wings

Have fun Meril :) I don't wear make up very often but what I do like when I do is the eye liner mascara to bring out the eyes a bit of blush and a nice lip stick . But hey remember you tube has heaps and heaps of step by step how to apply make up . Enjoy :)

Angel :)

• Admin

Starter kits are great, hon. That's what I did at first. Told the clerk it was a gift for my "GF." ;)

Carolyn Marie

Guest Prettypolly1389

That's excellent, exactly what I need. Thanks! x3

Thankfully, I barely grow facial hair as is, so standard foundation should do just fine, from what you said~

Any other tips would be greatly appreciated to, as I plan to spend Sunday experimenting > 3<

*Is now slightly excited*

Oh wow, I just wish! Lucky you. I havnt even started to think of makeup! ( well just a bit perhaps). I have to just enjoy using a chap stick lol

Guest carolynn2fem

Starter kits are great, hon. That's what I did at first. Told the clerk it was a gift for my "GF." ;)

Carolyn Marie

I feel that sept and oct gives us a free pass if we are looking to do something for halloween. we can solicit more personal advice on colors and shades :) carolynn

Guest MsGsptlsnz

I think I've just about got thebasics figured out. It's amazing how god a job you can do if you wash the face first. Also exfoliation is a wonderful thing. Good skin makes for good makeup.

Omg....aside from my complete and utter lack of skill, I have to admit that it was a ton of fun! xD

Well, I think I did a fairly decent job for my first time.....I think x _x; I can imagine it taking awhile for me to master however;

Uhm, maybe I'll put up pics next time, like, when my brain isn't telling me things like, "There has to be something wrong here," or "You can't seriously be imagining you're doing well, can you?"

Anyways, thanks for the tips and all o 3o Can't wait to try again next weekend~ <3

Guest angels wings

Excellent :) sounds like you had a fantastic time . When ever you want post pics up we can help you . With all our wonderful ladies here I'm sure you will get some gd advice :)

Angel :)

• 1 month later...