• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Any other mtf's prioritize FFS over SRS?

Guest Jo-88

It seems everyone wants SRS so bad, but very few are interested in FFS. Its just something I have been thinking a lot about lately, I plan to get SRS one day and I am pretty confident that when the time comes I will be able to get all or some of the cost covered via insurance... but FFS is a totally different story, its as expensive if not more expensive than SRS and there is no chance in heck any insurance is going to help with it. It seems so out of reach but for me it also seems very necessary (it isn't for everyone, but I think it is for me).

The look of my face causes more dysphoria than anything else about my body (other than my weight, which I am making progress on). Honestly whats between my legs is secondary or even tertiary at best... its something I want to change I just dont feel pressured into it right now. I do however feel pressured about FFS. I hate my massive jaw muscles, my high hairline, my strong brow, my gigantic nose etc... I just cant stand it. I feel helpless to change it though, I know some things I just need to get over because they cant be changed... but somethings can be changed I just dont have the means to do it and may never... sorry Im just feeling like crud today and looking in the mirror just made it worse.

I dont see how anyone could ever see anything other than a man when looking at me, regardless of hormones, or long hair, or beard removal... people are still gonna see a man and its driving me insane. Ive been on HRT for about a year now and I feel like Ive made almost no progress, my levels are all good its just not having any effect. I still have thick black body hair, tons of upper body mass, and Ive been growing my hair out the whole time but its still only about 6 inches long... and again the look of my face hasnt changed one darn bit, you would think it would be softer but it isn't, its just as strong and rough as it was on day one. Sigh... I hope I start seeing some progress soon.

Guest JoannaSydney

I dont know ??? SRS will allow me to lower my estrodial and not have to worry about testerone.The thing for me and FFS part of me wants it because i think i will have a better time dealing with people and getting misgender.The other part of me says the world is the problem nothing wrong with me.Like me being a female does it have anthing to do with my facial structure i saw no.The further along i go down this journey the more i feel these surgerys need to be looked at and taken very serious for me and my transtion.Dont get me wrong latley ive been feeling like crap and woulod have gotten ffs just because ive been getting misgendered.My gut tells me id regret getting FFS so i think SRS is what i need right now

I haven't started HRT yet, so I'm still waiting to see what changes may occur in my face. I don't have an overly masculine face in the first place, but if I did I would probably prioritize FFS, however it would be a hard decision.

Progress with HRT seems to be so variable, I would definitely check and make sure that your T is being blocked properly, but other than that I wish you good luck with your progress, maybe things will start looking up for you soon!

<3

~ Nikki

Guest JoannaSydney

Hey!! I will say this when i hit my year HRT i got my levels checked and my t was higher than when i first started.I was devastated.I felt the same way you did like i wasnt making any progress.I think that HRT needs a long time to work not just on the outside i think i took a long time on the inside too.I think when i was out with friends do girl things i felt better.Just hang in there i dont even think you realize what its doing for you.I felt the same way months 5 through 11 were like boring for me i still felt like a guy this sucks well it changed for me its going to change for you too.It also helps to be around females and to have female friends which you can ask questions about stuff which you would never know.

I guess I am being a bit too hard on myself, but FFS is at the top of my list of things to accomplish related to my transition... at least things that I can't do on my own like getting in shape, thats happening everyday. I just look in the mirror everyday and I still see a man, not even an effeminate man... a manly man and its because of my face above all else... sucks.

Guest LizMarie

If you're getting 6 inches of hair growth per year, that's about normal. Really long hair takes years to grow out.

As for FFS, I can completely understand why getting that done is a priority for some people. Unless you are involved intimately with someone, what's between your legs is none of their business and if you can hide it well enough, I can see waiting for SRS. But your face is your primary contact point with other people. Yes they look at your body but it's the face that conveys so much.

So if you want FFS, go for it! Sadly, yes, it is likely to not be covered by insurance but persevere, Jodie. If you want it, you can get it.

HRT is a five years process of puberty as an average. I wouldn't recommend going under the knife too quickly. In my research I found many sources that stated that the long term results are what you looked like pre-puberty. Not to be rude here but spend much more time looking at women in everyday life instead of the mirror while so young in HRT. We all want it and we want it NOW!!! that's where the mistakes are made. You could spend a bundle only to get clocked from your speech, mannerisms, gestures and posture. There is so much to work on beside your face.

That's my $.02 as not to offend. I'm not a beauty queen but God still does nice work. Jody

I had my levels checked at the end of june, everything was in the green. Although I have only been on doctor regulated hormones for a little less than half the time I have been on HRT so its possible the first half was all wrong. Again I may be being hard on myself... the biggest thing for me is to be perceived as female by people around me and I feel FFS is going to be necessary for that. I can worry about passing with my clothes off at a later date lol.

To those saying dont rush it and go under the knife too soon... trust me that isnt going to happen, theres no way I could afford FFS within the next decade. With being under-employed and having a mountain of student debt, it just isnt going to happen any time soon... if ever. I am slowly putting the money together for an orchi but my main reason for doing that is actually to save money on HRT. That may end up being the only surgery I ever get, its all so frustrating.

Right now all I can do is keep getting in shape, keep taking my hormones, keep practicing my voice, and hope for that eureka moment...

Guest JoannaSydney

I had my levels checked at the end of june, everything was in the green. Although I have only been on doctor regulated hormones for a little less than half the time I have been on HRT so its possible the first half was all wrong. Again I may be being hard on myself... the biggest thing for me is to be perceived as female by people around me and I feel FFS is going to be necessary for that. I can worry about passing with my clothes off at a later date lol.

To those saying dont rush it and go under the knife too soon... trust me that isnt going to happen, theres no way I could afford FFS within the next decade. With being under-employed and having a mountain of student debt, it just isnt going to happen any time soon... if ever. I am slowly putting the money together for an orchi but my main reason for doing that is actually to save money on HRT. That may end up being the only surgery I ever get, its all so frustrating.

Right now all I can do is keep getting in shape, keep taking my hormones, keep practicing my voice, and hope for that eureka moment...

I know i have simaiar frustrations.Im going to be looking into a grant from this organtion called the jim collins foundation might be something to look at in your area.

Oh wow I hadn't heard of the Jim Collins foundation before!! I am going to look more into that... how amazing is that!! Thank you so much Joanna, at least thats a little sliver of hope and sunshine for me today :) greatly needed and greatly appreciated.

Guest Melissa~

FFS? Perhaps, but I'm fairly cute as is. HT over time may adjust even further on that. If I do FFS there is a laundry list of items: forehead, rhinoplasty and jaw/chin. All are low priority, I'm out and about 90% now, more passable would be nice, full stealth would be nice, a perfect voice would be nice.

No crotch problem would be better.

Guest PhoebeJoan

My face has some subtle male telling signs, but I think my face is beautiful. Sure, there are some things I would like to change, but that could be 5 years down the track (I should probably look at braces someday too). Lots of cisgender folk arent entirely happy with their faces either. But, from my perspective, my face looks okay.

SRS however means I can lower my hormones and also stop certain ones as well. It also means I will be more confident in dating, and that I will be able to look down there. I am not the most dysphoric trans person when it comes to genitals, but I think personally I can see greater benefits from SRS as opposed to FFS. FFS generally can make it easier to pass, but I think SRS is more important to me, as well as more fulfilling. I have a nice looking face, and I guess I worry what FFS might do to that. I am also not the girliest girl, more of a tomboy, so if I get misgendered it's not the end of the world.

"It seems everyone wants SRS so bad..."

Well there are plenty who do and plenty who don't want SRS. Seems to me that there is about an even split. To each their own.

I am not a fan of FFS, but if someone needs it for their own confidence, that is their choice.

Guest jamiegrl100

Ok, i am new here but i will just trow in my two cents. in your post you sad that getting the money for ffs is not going to happen for you. i dont know what your finances look like, but look at it this way say you have a minimue wage job making say 7/hr, well at the end of a 40hr work week before taxes would make say like 280 bucks, a week, and like 1100 per month. and lets say like at the end of the month you dont have any money left over. well how do you finance that ffs?? the question is can you get a second job, yes you might work your butt off, but with the extra job you could make enough money to go to the top surgeons in the states. if we use the same example as above that would be $13,400.00 extra per year to pay for ffs, it can be done just need to work hard, and save hard, just my two cents hope it helps

thanks

jamie

If and when I start hormones my ultimate goal will be GRS. However, FFS will be very real possibility for me if I feel I need it. Ultimately, I think passing in my day to day life will be very important. I believe that GRS will not help me with that goal. My appearance, will be the key to achieving that. So while I understand needing GRS I don't think the answer is either or (for me anyways). I must be comfortable presenting in public and if that would require FFS, I will prioritize to make that happen first. That may mean I live with my male " parts" longer than I had wished, but for me I think it well help me live the life I need to. So I guess until I know what effects hormones would have, I can not say I need to have one surgery more than the other. I want to keep my options open and not get too focused on one strategy to help me end my disphoria.

Guest Eh-lyssa

FFS is first priority for me. Actually I just put down a deposit for the following procedures with Dr Cardenas in Guadalajara, Mexico. I have a confirmed surgery date in late Nov.

Aesthetic rhinoplasty 2,600 usd

Hairline advancement with brow lift and bone reshaping 3,200 usd

Upper lip lifting 1,200 usd

Total = $7000

I thought about cheek implants and jaw/chin revision too but I don't think those are priorities for me. I am trying to save money for GRS as well and don't want to spend too much on FFS and do too many procedures at once. Later on I may go back for more work.

Ok, i am new here but i will just trow in my two cents. in your post you sad that getting the money for ffs is not going to happen for you. i dont know what your finances look like, but look at it this way say you have a minimue wage job making say 7/hr, well at the end of a 40hr work week before taxes would make say like 280 bucks, a week, and like 1100 per month. and lets say like at the end of the month you dont have any money left over. well how do you finance that ffs?? the question is can you get a second job, yes you might work your butt off, but with the extra job you could make enough money to go to the top surgeons in the states. if we use the same example as above that would be $13,400.00 extra per year to pay for ffs, it can be done just need to work hard, and save hard, just my two cents hope it helps

thanks

jamie

I wish working hard was even an option, so far Ive only been able to find part time employment since graduating and the pay isn't great. I send out job applications constantly everyday but so far no luck, and I have to start paying on my student loans soon ( I am about ~$180,000 in debt)... even when I get all my loans consolidated I am looking at about a $1200 a month payment for 25 years... no way I can pay that, my living expenses, and save for surgeries even on multiple min wage jobs. The only solution is to hope I get a break soon and land a decent job, if I knew the job market was going to be like this I would have never gone to college (at least not when I did)... right now I have a B.S. and an M.S. both in what forbes and several other publications consider "growing fields" but cant even get call backs. MEH!!! Just gotta keep trying I guess

FFS is first priority for me. Actually I just put down a deposit for the following procedures with Dr Cardenas in Guadalajara, Mexico. I have a confirmed surgery date in late Nov.

Aesthetic rhinoplasty 2,600 usd

Hairline advancement with brow lift and bone reshaping 3,200 usd

Upper lip lifting 1,200 usd

Total = $7000

I thought about cheek implants and jaw/chin revision too but I don't think those are priorities for me. I am trying to save money for GRS as well and don't want to spend too much on FFS and do too many procedures at once. Later on I may go back for more work.

Thats really affordable! The things I consider necessary for myself are very similar to yours... I would like the following, hair line advancement (I have a slight widows peak), brow reduction, rhinoplasty, upper lip reduction (its literally impossible for me to show my teeth when smiling), jaw reduction, tracheal shave, and an under chin tuck (you know, "gobble" reduction lol). Ive been pricing it all, its looking like depending on the surgeon its going to run me anywhere from about $28k to $50k... thats a lot of coin.. a lot of coin I don't have, but maybe one day.

As a fully transitioned, well adjusted female, I think it's more important that *I* accept myself as female first and foremost.

Just walking around in daily life, you can see many females who are not attractive, however, they are female. You percieve them as female because they are, well, female.

For me, accepting myself as female ended my mental suffering. The hormones, over the last 3 years, have fixed other's perception of me as not being female. I am always accepted as female by everyone, everywhere. That's all that's been important to me.

Once you accept that, everything else can come into clearer focus in your life. Until you end the mental suffering, nothing else matters.

Until you can accept the person who is within you, the person others see outside of you will never make you happy.

Forget about how others see you. Concentrate on how you see yourself and it's not an image in a mirror. It's your inner being. Far too many people who have had plastic surgery to correct some self-percieved abnormality aren't happy with the outcome, for they see a different image in the mirror than do others.

Be yourself. This is the only person you can be. Everybody else is already taken. :)

Guest Robin Winter

Umm...I'm on the fence with this one. I don't necessarily feel that I *need* ffs. I think I'd like a smaller nose, but I'm not sure I feel it's absolutely necessary. The two things I'm actively self-conscious about are facial hair and my disturbingly deep voice. I just need to be a woman, I don't need to be a supermodel. If after I manage to get rid of the stubble and I've reached normal female hormone levels and maintained them for an extended period, if I still feel I haven't feminized enough then I'll look into the possibility.

Jodie,

I for one would dearly love to have FFS first, but then I am 50 y/o and have decades of testosterone poisoning to overcome. So of the younger transitioners may not have need, but my brow, nose, and jaw are outside the female norms. Many of my friend say I don't need FFS, but really, it's not for them. It's for me! It the face I look at many times a day, in the mirror. While the changes from HRT are definite, they have been gradual and not readily apparent to me.

I would also like to have Breast Augmentation, but that may be another dicussion. Point is, my approval for SRS is still months away, but I don't need approval for FFS or BA, all it takes is money.

Laura Jane

I know that i will need some work before i even think about going out in public

Nose job is a deffinate as i've been putting it off for years, have a deviated septum

Brow reduction and trach shave to get rid of the cave man look LOL

Figure my insurance should pay for most of the nose job so might as well get the other things done while i'm under