• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Does one really need to go see a GT to have SRS?

Guest boogie

Hi there... I have been contemplating in a long time that I'm really no longer happy being in a female's body. I've been depressed many times but I tried to hide it from people around me. I have few close friends who knew my attraction to women. But I have not opened up to anyone other than my long distance girlfriend from other country (who's been supportive) that I feel more like I'm a boy and I have expressed that I wanted to become one (have surgery) when I'm ready.

My parents somehow knew that I'm simply a tomboy but I don't feel really that way because I have always a hard time saying that I'm female, a woman, a girl when most tomboys are not. And my parents still don't accept the fact that I'm not the "straight" only daughter they have hoped for. I felt sorry before to them, but I felt more sorry for myself. Because if I give in to what my parents want for me, it means I'm going to be dishonest with myself and it's hurting me too emotionally and psychologically.

I prefer masculine clothes or unisex clothes although I may look more androgynous but more on the masculine side. I've done a couple of gender psychology free tests online I always end up being 51-49 (51% male) (49% female) in the way I think. I dislike having a "chest" too so I did use chest binders from time to time but it's gets too painful especially when I have a shoulder injury.

So, does one really need to go see a gender therapist to even just have a top surgery for FTM and hormone therapy?

Where could I find one locally in Los Angeles, CA?

Is it covered by health insurance to see a GT? Does it cost a lot? I am on a tight budget right now as well.

Can anyone help me please? And let me know how it is at work if you tell your coworkers and friends that you're transitioning? Your families?

What would happen with my degree, with my licenses? Will it still be recognized as my degree eventhough I got it when I was female? Is it harder to find a job when one is a transgender? Will I be allowed to get married if I'm a FTM? Will there be a chance for me to petition my gf here to the US? So many questions on my mind right now...

Thank you so much in advance.

• Admin

Hon, you asked a lot of questions here, but I'll address what seems to be the main one, about surgery. The WPATH Standards of Care are followed by most, but probably not all, surgeons who do top or bottom surgery. Here is the SoC criteria for top surgery for FtM's:

Criteria for Breast/Chest Surgery (one referral)

Mastectomy and creation of a male chest in FtM patients:

1. Persistent, well-documented gender dysphoria;

2. Capacity to make a fully informed decision and to consent for treatment;

3. Age of majority in a given country (if younger, follow the SOC for children and adolescents);

4. If significant medical or mental health concerns are present, they must be reasonably well controlled.

Hormone therapy is not a pre-requisite.

Documenting gender dysphoria is what a gender therapist or a general therapist would do. So the answer is likely, yes.

You don't say how old you are, but in California, and most places in the U.S., you would need your parent's permission to see a G.T. or get surgery, if you are under 18.

You probably should familiarize yourself with the SoC. You can find it here: http://www.wpath.org/documents/SOC%20V7%2003-17-12.pdf

Megan did a great job with the questions, and I see no need to repeat her excellent answers.

I would also like to welcome you to the Playground, hon. We'll be here when you think of more questions to ask.

HUGS

Carolyn Marie

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Megan & Carolyn... thanks a lot for the input..I have a lot of questions in my mind, I try to browse the site for topics that would be helpful to my situation..

Has anyone of you felt alone in your "transition" journey? If only my gf would be here with me through this journey.... How do you cope if you're alone in this journey?

I'm really having a hard time about this issue..I really feel that seeing a GT may really help me.. there's not a day gone by that I have wished I was born as a boy instead so 'life" could have been much easier for me... when I look in the mirror, I wish to see the real me...

I'm older than 18 yrs old btw.. if I have a PPO insurance, would that cover seeing a GT? I really don't know how my coworkers or few friends would feel if I transitioned, I'm somehow scared because I have had suffered a great deal of rejections from my own family and yet I still stay with them and bear the ridicule from time to time... I'm scared to the point I want to work somewhere new that would know me as the 'real' (transitioned) me...

At work, people would say or know that I'm a lesbian...I just couldn't say that I am actually not, it's hard to explain it to them so I just stay quiet and somehow end up just nodding at them...but I can't say that I actually don't feel like a girl, but yes, I'm attracted to women...but I only love my girlfriend, I don't want anyone else...

In public, I dislike using public restrooms..I try to find a unisex one as much as possible..because sometimes when I use the women's bathroom, I dislike how women look at me like 'I'm not supposed to be there' plus I don't feel like I belong there..there's one time when I went out of women's restroom, a lady with her child stopped, confused seeing me and look at the door sign "Wait, am I in the right bathroom?" She wasn't mad or anything,she seemed nice and simply got confused seeing me..

or if I go to the men's restroom, I'm afraid that they would beat me up there so sometimes, I end up holding it until I go home, which is not a safe practice I may end up having a kidney or bladder problem..

about birth certificate question, i'm not born here in the US. I'm a naturalized American. Would there be a problem changing my birth certificate in my country of birth? If all my documents get changed, can I marry my girlfriend and petition her then?

thanks so much again!