• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Timeline of HRT effects

Guest Ellie_Aislin

Guest Ellie_Aislin

So I started HRT on Thursday of last week. I've been getting stomach cramps and headaches since. Both are listed as common side effects. My question for those that have been here already is "Did you have some initial side effects and how long did they last? "

I know there will most likely be some mood swings in the beginning. When should I expect those and how long?

Ellie

• Admin

Please do as Angel suggests, hon, and call your doctor. We can't diagnose you, and what someone here experienced or didn't may not be at all relevant to your situation. There are drug interactions, allergies, all kinds of things that could be at play.

HUGS

Carolyn Marie

I have not experienced headaches or cramps at all. I think it would be a good idea to see a doctor asap.The only thing i have had happen was the feeling of dizziness and tired,both fixed with a adjusted dose.

Guest ~Ashley~

When my endo was ramping up my hormones there was a period of about 2 to 3 days after i just changed prescriptions where I was practically incapacitated by cramps, lower back pain and some nausea--hmm sounds like a period, but without the bleeding. If i remember correctly it was the point when he added progesterone to my regimen.

My doctor told me that it is not common to have cramp like symptoms. He had me drop back to my original dosage to see if the symptoms would go away (they did) and he gradually ramped up my dosage again with no side effects outside of drowsiness. Drowsiness is a fairly common symptom and as such, appears all over the warning labels.

Moral of the story is, different people respond very differently to medication. You should definitely talk to your doctor about it.

• Admin

The SOC7 has a table of what results to expect, and a timeline. The link below is to a page here where the SOC7 is linked in. Page 38 gives the MtF guidelines. http://www.lauras-playground.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=37767

The symptoms you mention are not on it, so they should be checked out by your doctor. I do get some pretty regular mood issues during a lunar month, one kinda grumpy, the other one a really snappy mood for a day and a half, but no cramps that I can attribute to the E stuff. Spiro though could cause your potassium level to do strange things which could account for leg cramps, and this NEEDS to be evaluated by your doctor by some blood tests. You also need to be drinking more WATER while on spiro.