• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

A speech I gave at my school. "One amazing community" event -video-

Guest Jaded1

So I was asked this summer if I would participate in an event held by my University in which I would be among one of 11 students and community members honored that would highlight the stories of these people and how they turned tragedy into triumph and overcame great adversity to be a part of the University's diverse population.

The event was titled "One Amazing Community."

Amongst the speakers, we had a pair of twins who grew up in foster care and now are part of numerous campus organizations including sitting senators on the student government. A professor whom suffered irreprable spinal injury at the age of 18 and went on to not only overcome her disability but become educated, successful, a public figure in her community and (lol) the first ever disabled person to adorn the cover of Playboy. We had a holocaust survivor who was the only person in her family to survive the attrocities and horrors of the war, a man who lost everything and became homeless, only to find his way back and not only get into our school, but start a non-profit to help others like him overcome their situations and find opportunity in education.

These were just some of the guest speakers there that night.

I received a recording of my speech and I thought I would share it with you all. Sorry for the quality. Sadly there was no "official" recording.

Here you go.

Very nice. The sound quality was acceptable on highest volume. Its heartening to see people working for the community as well as for themselves. I'm glad you had the opportunity to share our experience with others.

(For the benefit of others thinking of posting videos note Rules and Regs #26)

Michelle

Edited by Michelle 2010
added parentheses
Guest angels wings

Thanks for sharing :) I had problems hearing it , the volume was not to good from my end . But what I did hear sounded awesome . Thanks for opening eyes

Angel :)