• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

National Geographic "Taboo: Changing Gender"

Guest Amy W.

Guest Amy W.

Did anyone else happen to watch the episode last night on TG/TS issues? If so, what did you think of it? What were the episode's strengths? Weaknesses?

I personally think that it was good overall and gave a succinct, humanistic view of the issues that many of us face. It was much better than many of the other documentaries I've seen that start out okay, but then quickly degrade into circus sideshow-like judgment. I especially liked the emphasis on in-born nature, rather than the tired old stereotype of choice.

Toodles,

A

• Admin

I saw the program the last time it was on. Pretty well done piece.

Carolyn Marie

Guest Amy W.

cant seem to find the video on there site. If anyone has a link i would love to see last nights broadcast.

Sorry Dee, I've looked for the link on the NGC website, but the only full episode they have related to TG/TS issues is the "Third Sex" show, which isn't quite as impressive as "Changing Gender."

It looks like National Geographic takes 3 months or so to get the full episodes on their website.

Guest Kattja

Just wanted to add. The other day I watched an episode of True Life on MTV I don't watch MTV but this one episode caught my attention so I gave it a shot. True Life: I'm changing my sex. It was very well done, a bit of a tear jerkier at times. In basic it follows the journey of two people MTF and FTM. MTV has the full video on there web page. It originally showed Sept 19 09 It can be found Shows- True Life- page 2- 6th from the bottom of the page.

Guest Amy W.

Wow, thanks Kattja for the tip (and Karen for the link), I'll definitely have to go check that True Life episode out! It's a great day when we're getting more positive press in the world, rather than the talk show stereotypes, especially on a network known for slightly sleazy reality shows instead of awesome music videos. Oops, just dated myself! ;)

A.

Guest Rawrsome

There was another "True Life" style show following a few transgender people. I remember the girl being a really beautiful brunette, and she was getting FFS Its been a while since i've seen it, but i remember it being quite good. I cant remember the exact title, or what network it was on though! grrr...