• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Is my brother a crossdresser, or did he joke around so much he got comfortable in girl clothes?

Guest tmannick

Guest tmannick

I have an older brother. One day, at his school, the students where asked to dress like the opposite gender. He dressed like a girl, and ever since that day, he would wear girl clothes. He started doing it for the humor, then he started wearing girl clothes more an more. He doesn't wear them all the time. He also wears men's clothes. He identifies as male, and I don't think he is MTF (if he is, I'm sorry for wrong pronouns) or anything like that. He just sometimes wear girl clothes. He hs long hair that he braids or puts in a pony tail, and he would wear dresses, skirts, bras, panties, etc. Is he a crossdresser or did he wear girl clothes for humor so much that he wears them more often now?

Guest angels wings

Hello tmannick :) Welcome to Laura's :)

No one can really say if your brother is a cross dresser or MTF. He maybe does not even know himself . Seeing a therapist would help your brother discover himself more deeply . The main thing is to just love him for who he is . If he does have gender dysphoria he will always bethe same brother you knew . Your brother must feel comfortable in what he wears and may be it's deeper than that but we can't really say . Your concern shows you have a good bond there , maybe try talking to him and see what comes of it .

There are many different forums here which may help you gain a greater understanding . Please know we are here for you and if your brother ever wants to join we are here for him too. It can be a very lonely world for those trying to discover who they are .

We have chat available also ,you will need a different registration to join this . We ask all our members to please read the Terms conditions which are found on the bottom right of any page . These rules are in place so we can all have a safe and happy place to come and share.

There is an introduction forum were if you like you can make a small intro of yourself there . This allows other members to see you are new and welcome and support you also .

Angel :)

If he cross dresses but seems happy and well adjusted I don't see why he would need to even see a therapist... much less discover which "label" fits him best. Your brother is your brother thats it... if he had gender issues (like being a MTF transexual) then he would not be entirely happy and he wouldn't be well adjusted, in that case then yea he should probably see a therapist. Realistically its just society that decides which clothes are for guys and which are for girls... its not always a mental/emotional issue if one chooses to wear clothes deemed more appropriate for the opposite sex, maybe its as simple as he just likes those clothes. Who knows... like I said he doesn't have to like the clothes because they are for girls... maybe he likes them because they are more comfortable, maybe the cloth feels better, or maybe he feels they are more aesthetically pleasing.

Anyway thats just my two cents... next time you see him wearing girls clothes just go up to him and give him a big hug!

• Admin

This has not been suggested yet, but maybe he was looking for an excuse to do something he had always wanted to do but had been afraid before. Joking often covers up things that you secretely desire but are afraid to admit to other people. I did it in an effort to hide myself for years. The problem comes when it is joking that hurts another person. The evidence is pretty clear that CDing is not CAUSED by joking behavior nor will you talk yourself into being Gender Varient but the joke may have been camoflage.

Being a CD who still considers themself male is still a manner of being transgendered, so that classification could be used, but see what the "bro" likes. If it becomes troubling to your brother or starts causing him to go out of control, then he should go to gender therapy. If you are going to support groups for your GD, it would be fine and maybe helpful to invite him along with you since he does dress.

• Forum Moderator

Hi and welcome to Laura's. It's hard to say where your brother stands on his or her path. I understand your confusion and desire to know. Are you close enough to talk to him about it. For many of us an understanding sister would have made our lives easier and better. That of course is up to you. Justg a thought.

Hugs,

Charlie

Guest Michellewhois

I have to agree with Charlie, having a sister to talk with about the dressing will help tremendously. Just remember to asure him that you are asking questions to help and not to hinder.

• Forum Moderator

Ummm dressing grows on ya, it's like the flood gates of societies dam hath been opened. It's so enabling, it's so good, it'll take you places you never imagined. "You've got to free your mind instead", John Lennon.

Others are right, she has a brother that can help her.

Hugs

Cindy -

• Admin

Hey gang our OP lists up as FtM, so there are two brothers involved by house rules here!!! And it may be brother and sister, in reverse order if we think about it!! (me 2),

Guest MsGsptlsnz

I think that the using humor to cover up for something he always wanted to do, or may have been doing in private for a while now, is the logical choice. I know many times I have created elaborate schemes in my mind on how I could cress in public without riducule and retribution. Humor was one of the paths, another was sci fi conventions but that's another story.

Have a sitdown with him and come around to the topic. Let him know he can trust you with the secret and offer your help so he can express his fem side more often and better.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest tmannick

Hi and welcome to Laura's. It's hard to say where your brother stands on his or her path. I understand your confusion and desire to know. Are you close enough to talk to him about it. For many of us an understanding sister would have made our lives easier and better. That of course is up to you. Justg a thought.

Hugs,

Charlie

He is in college right now, and he is always busy, so no. I'm not really close to him.