• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

I had a revelation yesterday

Guest Lizzie McTrucker

Guest Lizzie McTrucker

I had been listening to a number of podcasts and a couple women with whom I've interacted with over the last couple days and something clicked in my head. Women's voices tend to have more treble, whereas men's voices seem to have more bass.

Now it's a work in progress but I think I might be on to something here. Probably not anything revolutionary or ground-braking but it did take me into a new direction with my voice work. So for me, what I think I need to do, simply, is take my current voice (which isn't very deep) and just add more treble to it.

How do I go about doing that? Well I'm glad I asked. I know if I do a Wicked Witch of the West voice, it has lots of treble, but it's too nasally, so start there, and then work down taking out the nasally pitch. It seems when I take my current voice and remove the bass, that seems to automatically raise it up a little. Not a whole lot to where it sounds like Mickey Mouse and I can lower it back down just by putting some bass back into it.

I think by doing this my voice might be a little louder. Not bellowing but I think that might solve the problem why I could have been a little difficult to hear/understand before.

Like I said, it's a work in progress but I think I might be onto something, at least for me personally.

I'll have to test this out on the phone with a few friends and get some feedback as well.

Guest Julie_Mason

That sounds about right, with what Ive been doing. When on the phone I get either maim's or no distinction at all, though in person (in boy-mode) I still get sir... its a little disconcerting, but I know visual perception is 99% of most people's reality. I have noticed, however that I seem to have to clear my throat alot, like it tends to get phlemy... dunno what thats about, but its something Id like to fix somehow if possible.

Annnywho, keep up the good work, girl!

Hugs,

-Julie M.<3

Guest Karen K

Lizzie,

You are correct and the separation between mens vocal range and womens range is not that great, maybe an octave or less in some cases. Also, if you put say two fingers below your adams apple and speak normally, you will feel the vibration, as this is where a "mans" voice originates. A womans voice originates higher up, above the adams apple. That is where we should try to speak, higher up in the voice box.

Laura Jane