• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

New Hampshire Rep is a Convicted Felon - Asked to Resign

Carolyn Marie

• Admin

Wow, this is a dramatic twist on a very nice story line. If the law is as stated in the article, then it sounds like she has no choice but to resign or be barred from holding office. On the other hand, there is almost always another side to the story. Stay tuned....

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2012/11/first-transgender-elected-to-office-asked-to-resign-over-past-conviction/

Carolyn Marie

• Admin

More just in:

http://dailycaller.com/2012/11/26/nh-gop-first-ever-transgender-elected-official-resign-over-criminal-revelation/

Her "I would have admitted it if someone had asked" philosophy bothers me greatly. You expect an elected representative to be honest. That, IMO, is not being honest.

Carolyn Marie

Guest KimberlyF

Legally, she had the right to run. Legally. From the first link:

"Candidates can run for office in New Hampshire after they've been convicted of a felony as long as they are not incarcerated and have completed any court-ordered sentence, according to the New Hampshire Secretary of State's Office."

She was out of jail and her probation period was over.

• Admin

Legally, she had the right to run. Legally. From the first link:

You're right, Kim. I didn't read it carefully enough. Thanks

Carolyn Marie

With the information given, if I were a voter there, I would think that a mistake had been corrected, not from criminal activity but from unqualified general stupidity. She sure gives us a black eye. Well maybe just a blackhead on our chin. I didn't read the comments though. I have a pretty good day going and didn't want the usual anti-trans comments to whiz in my Cheerios.

Carolyn, if you ever want to run for public office, say Sheriff maybe, you have my vote! Hug. JodyAnn

Guest LizMarie

Like every rep who's currently having an affair but didn't admit it and won't until it comes out in the tabloids? Or every rep who's taking under the table money from corporations? Or every politician who let pacs do his dirty work but never disavowed them? Or radio talk show hosts who get phony pain killer prescriptions for addictive drugs?

Look, a felon who has completed their sentence is, in my opinion, a free person again. They're not on probation. They've paid their specified debt to society. I see this around me. People don't want to hire a felon who has completed their sentence. Did Mitt explain everything about his past? No. Did Obama? No. That Republican is making arbitrary lines in the sand and then he'll completely change his tune when one of his people has a credibility issue.

And further, her entire criminal background should be a matter of public record. Anyone who wanted to know could have checked, including her Republican opponent who is probably kicking himself about now anyway.

• Admin

Thanks for that last bit of info, LizMarie. Stick a fork in her; she's done. :(

Carolyn Marie

• Who's Online   6 Members, 0 Anonymous, 140 Guests (See full list)

• Jet McCartney
    • RaineOnYourParade
    • Stefi
    • Ashley0616
    • LucyF
    • awkward-yet-sweet