• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Television - insulting intersex people?

Guest JayHL

I rarely get the opportunity to watch television, but as with many other people there are some programmes that I hate to miss. However, one series that I would go out of my way to miss is the American series “Friends”.

I know that several people on these forums have listed this programme as a favourite. However, I have a low threshold of patience with television & film when they mock minorities and plead ‘artistic licence. I cannot speak for television standards in the USA, but I am aware that any programme either made or transmitted in the UK is subject to standards which protect minority groups. Any programme that demonises, mocks or denigrates disabled or gay people or targets faith groups is likely to be removed (although I am aware that whilst a programme which mocks Islam will not be aired, one which adopts the same approach to Christianity is not quite so well protected). Please note, this last comment is not to be interpreted as an oblique criticism of Islam, but the way in which the media often takes the easy option and targets groups that are less likely to protest.

Increasingly, programmes which denigrate trans people in the UK are now considered poor taste and could be removed. However, there is still a long way to go with regard to how intersex people are treated. One of the reasons that you can appear on television and ‘get away’ with derogatory remarks regarding intersex conditions and people is that many viewers still do not realise that intersex people are real. The fact that that term “hermaphrodite” is still in common usage (even within the medical litrature) and is often used interchangeably with “intersex” betrays the fact that the general public are ignorant of the fact that people with an intersex condition are not figures from classical mythology, but real people, possibly living in the same street or attending the local school.

I have frequently acted as an adviser to the media in the UK regarding programming re. intersex issues and the advice I have feequently given producers etc, is “In the script, replace the word “hermaphrodite” or “intersex” with the word “black” and consider if it still reads as an acceptable phrase, not just to you, but to your audience.

Some reading this may agree with the general views I express here, but are puzzled as to why I am targeting “Friends” as an example of the media choosing to mock a minority in order to raise a few, cheap laughs.

In the posts below I have pasted examples of the script for “Friends” and a letter sent by an intersex advocate/campaigner to NBC, the television company responsible.

Further to my comments re. The NBC television programme ‘Friends’, here are the URLs of episode 8.09 plus a link to a letter written to NBC by an intersex advocate.

Episode 8.09

The One With The Rumor

SCRIPT AT:

URL” http://www.friends-tv.org/zz809.html

Letter from Devon King:

NBC's "Friends" episode offensive to intersex youth

Intersex youth was the butt of a joke in the thanksgiving episode (Nov. 22, 2001)

LETTER AT:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/QueerAtlanta/message/451

Please let me know if any of these links do not work.