• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

How to get accurate measurements?

Guest Waffle Cat

Guest Waffle Cat

[well. it is a clothing question. in general]

Whenever I read a "how to measure" guide online, I usually find "snug measurement". I looked it up, and it said "close-fitted measurement."

But, just how "close-fitted" is accurate? Based on my experience, my measurement changes when I'm inhaling and exhaling. Which measurement should I use between the two?

PS: It's for a binder, btw. I'm also using internet guides on measuring other body parts, but the same issue comes up for parts like the waist.

It being for a binder kinda changes things and my guess is that typical measurement standards for "snug" might not apply. Your question about when you have inhaled verses exhaled is a good one and hopefully someone who has measured for a binder can provide you some good direction.

• 1 month later...
Guest Gregg Jameson

Hi Waffle Cat,

Many different places supply binders.

If I had a question about any piece of clothing and the fit, I would contact the merchant.

Most merchants know their products well and can tell you if certain items tend to run larger or smaller.

On the question of taking a measurement on inhale or exhale, keep in mind, you need to breathe without somehow strangling a body part... on inhalation and/or exhalation. Lol!

Best wishes! :D

Warmly,

Brad

Guest Melissa~

Snug= pull a seamstress' tape measure with between four and twelve ounces of pressure on it, like would be comfortable to tug on the tape with two ladies fingers.

Posture= stand with feet at shoulders width, shoulders back, bust out, gut in, back reasonably straight.

Breathing status= take a full breath and let it comfortably exhale, then take pertinent measurements.

Always consider immediate term weight gain or loss, if fully fitting not yeilding clothes.

I have limited sewing experience myself, my mother was in the bridal business for many years before graduating to opera and theatre costuming.