• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Laser hair removal: before or after hrt?

Guest PrincessHikari

Does it matter when I do hrt before and after laser hair removal?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Does it matter when I do hrt before and after laser hair removal?

• No it does not matter if you do hrt before or after laser hair.
    • Yes. Doing hrt before laser has a better permanent effect
    • Yes. Doing laser before hrt has a better permanent effect.

• Admin

Electrolysis is the ONLY fully permanent way to remove hair. Thus the HRT time does not matter for laser if hair removal is to be permanent, since laser can't hack it.

Guest PrincessHikari

Electrolysis is the ONLY fully permanent way to remove hair. Thus the HRT time does not matter for laser if hair removal is to be permanent, since laser can't hack it.

So are you telling me that laser hair removal isn't permanent? Or if im Lucky its permanent? Or it just takes a LOT of tries to be permanent? O.o lol!

Guest Angel Heart

I think hair removal should be considered after HRT because:

after you've been on hormones for a while, then you will know if you even need to remove hair. I know my hormones have greatly slowed my male hair growth almost to the point where I don't need to consider hair removal.

• Forum Moderator

My Gt who has lots of experience told me to wait for electrolysis until HRT had had time to do what it does. So thats what i'm doing.

Hugs,

Charlie

I started laser before HRT. I'm glad I did. IMO, the hairs were darker and deeply rooted so when they were zapped, it affect the follicle more. I was very hairy. I had 2 treatments on my back and 4 on my chest. I had 4 on my arms and 7 or 8 on my face.

I have almost no hair on my chest, a few white hairs on my back and a light scattering of hair on my arms. My face floes have white hair that will need electrolysis when I can afford it.

IMO, hit the hair as soon as possible. yes, some of the hair loss is dur to hormones, but I would not have gotten where I am without the laser.

YMMV...

Guest Evalyn_G

Laser is permanent hair reduction. It does not kill the hair but rather weakens it causing it to get lighter in color and reduced in thickness. I started my laser treatments at the same time as HRT and I have been happy with my results.

-Evalyn

Laser is permanent but it isn't permanent hair "removal" its more permanent hair "reduction"... in other words its not going to completely clear your face but what it does remove should be gone for good (unless the laser tech isn't using the equip correctly which is very possible). Electrolysis/thermolysis is the only way to get every last hair gone for good, but starting with laser and moving to electrolysis can save you a lot of time and money if you have the right hair and skin for it.

As far as starting before or after HRT, I doubt that there is much of a difference. Although I personally think starting it at about the same time as HRT is your best bet because if you still have testosterone in your system when your hair follicles start dying your body triggers your skin to make new follicles to replace those lost (but not very often, its not that big of a deal really)... but that wont happen at all if you dont have enough testosterone. Some people report HRT makes their facial hair finer which could make laser less effective but thats not going to happen until youve been on HRT for a very long time (if at all). It is actually more likely that HRT wont effect you facial hair, I dont think very many of use experience a change in facial hair due to HRT other than maybe its growth slowing down a bit (I used to get a 5 o'clock shadow after a few hours, now its like 12-14 hours before I can feel stubble).

Guest Joana25

Laser works good it took a year though so get started now... Expect to have maintenance session at least 2-3 times a year. But it was fast and does the job.

Guest sadandconfused

I started laser before HRT. I'm glad I did. IMO, the hairs were darker and deeply rooted so when they were zapped, it affect the follicle more. I was very hairy. I had 2 treatments on my back and 4 on my chest. I had 4 on my arms and 7 or 8 on my face.

I have almost no hair on my chest, a few white hairs on my back and a light scattering of hair on my arms. My face floes have white hair that will need electrolysis when I can afford it.

IMO, hit the hair as soon as possible. yes, some of the hair loss is dur to hormones, but I would not have gotten where I am without the laser.

YMMV...

How much did this all cost you?

Guest (Lightsider)

YMMV...

I know you are not asking me but in 1998 a package for laser cost me around $2000.00. I get touch up laser every now and then for 50.00 a session. What a package costs now...I am not sure.

Guest sadandconfused

Wow that's A LOT of money! I heard hrt does a lot for body hair. I have a hairy chest and mid section and a small patch on the small of my back. Do you think hrt will get rid of it? I am also fairly young (22)

Guest chibi_usa

YMMV...

I know you are not asking me but in 1998 a package for laser cost me around $2000.00. I get touch up laser every now and then for 50.00 a session. What a package costs now...I am not sure.

Really? O_O"" Mine costed 260$ for a whole year of 6 areas. (Between eyebrows, beard, mustache, armpits, toes/fingers, uhhhh line in belly button. However it seems like it didn't work very well -__-""..... Maybe mines those sucky ones. Lol!

Guest Angel Heart

Wow that's A LOT of money! I heard hrt does a lot for body hair. I have a hairy chest and mid section and a small patch on the small of my back. Do you think hrt will get rid of it? I am also fairly young (22)

It really... like, seriously.. it depends on so many things. You are young, which will give you a better chance of it working. :) i wont promise anything, but i think most likely HRT should help a lot. it wont rid of any hair follicles, but it will slow down growth. You wont have to shave as often. :P

Guest (Lightsider)

YMMV...

Really? O_O"" Mine costed 260$ for a whole year of 6 areas. (Between eyebrows, beard, mustache, armpits, toes/fingers, uhhhh line in belly button. However it seems like it didn't work very well -__-""..... Maybe mines those sucky ones. Lol!

Mine was a package of nine treatments on a very dense lick black facial growth. Also too in 1998 the technology was newer and the equipment was real expensive. So I am not surprised if full treatments like I had have dropped in price. You got a deal.

Guest ShaunaMichelle

YMMV...

I purchased a laser package for my face and the back of my neck, 9 sessions total, and it cost $5,000 and I just started the treatments back in May. I have been very happy with my results so far except on my uper lip. But I have only had 4 of the 9 sessions so far, so hopefully that will clear up also. Also, I started laser only a few months after starting hrt, IMO, the sooner the better because it takes a long time start to finish!

Just a note to everyone, please shop around for your laser service... I have been ripped off a bunch because I didnt do that. I have paid $300 a session at one place (soprano XL laser, and it turns out the woman was using it incorrectly), $175 a session at another (cutera coolglide), and now I only pay $45 a session and they also use the cutera coolglide laser which is supposed to be the best on the market (only one FDA approved for permanent hair reduction).

Not only is it far cheaper here but the lady has been very accommodating, she has cranked the power and penetration almost to maximum and goes over my whole face twice each session which has proved to be far more effective. 9 sessions at $45 a session would come out the $405... you shouldnt be paying thousands of dollars for this. If your going to a plastic surgery center to get it done I suggest you reconsider, they charge a fortune. Find a licensed esthetician at a spa/salon (again make sure they are licensed, and research their equipment) but dont go paying thousands on laser service... it makes me angry that people are ripping people off for such a simple procedure.

In case you live in SW or Central FL and you want to know where I go it's called bellisima medi spa in Venice FL... if your in that area then call them and stop blowing your money. If your not then please take my advice and shop around... more likely than not you are paying way more than you should (like I said I made the same mistake).

Guest Angel Heart

Just curious has anyone tried the product called the "nono"?

Yes, actually! I was going to try it out. I cant say anything about it yet - except that I have heard about it.

Guest Robin Winter

The nono is NOT permanent hair removal, it will give results similar to waxing, but only on body areas or facial hair for cis women. All that I've heard of if tells me it doesn't work on coarse facial hair, at least not well enough to be worth the hefty price tag. If you're considering this route, do lots of research and read the reviews. Also, beware of "customer reviews" that sound like advertisements for the product, because that's what they probably are.

The nono is NOT permanent hair removal, it will give results similar to waxing, but only on body areas or facial hair for cis women. All that I've heard of if tells me it doesn't work on coarse facial hair, at least not well enough to be worth the hefty price tag. If you're considering this route, do lots of research and read the reviews. Also, beware of "customer reviews" that sound like advertisements for the product, because that's what they probably are.

agreed... now there are IPL machines that you can buy that are much more powerful than the nono but even those are not good enough for male facial hair (but they should work on body hair if you have light skin and dark hair). I have the silkn sensepil but I have never used it, the cartridges are so expensive I wanted to save them until its more important that I start removing body hair. One of these days though I will post a review of it... I guess I could go ahead and start using it on my chest, I shave it regularly as it is so I might as well. I will write a review in a few weeks

Guest Minerva

Before hrt I had dark facial hair, but over the course of a year it has thinned out significantly and turned about 80% of my dark hairs to thin blonde hairs which grow very slowly.

While great for passing (as long as no one feels the facial stubble) It is impossible to remove by laser so I have to go for the time consuming and expensive electrolysis.

Contrary to popular belief, hrt can have a significant on facial hair.

Guest LizMarie

Before hrt I had dark facial hair, but over the course of a year it has thinned out significantly and turned about 80% of my dark hairs to thin blonde hairs which grow very slowly.

While great for passing (as long as no one feels the facial stubble) It is impossible to remove by laser so I have to go for the time consuming and expensive electrolysis.

Contrary to popular belief, hrt can have a significant on facial hair.

I've heard of that occurring for others. My GT mentioned that but said it's something you should never count on. Apparently effects of HRT on facial hair are highly varied with most people seeing little to no change but with a smaller subset seeing different levels of change.

they also use the cutera coolglide laser which is supposed to be the best on the market (only one FDA approved for permanent hair reduction).

Yea....that thing didnt do much at all for me, i had it growing back faster than i was able to return. One expensive razor. I waisted 300USD and its not even a laser. Its IPL (intense pulsed light)

Just went to a better place they know what they doing. Just went there yesterday and i already see much better results with just one treatment.

Im not saying Cutera is bad.....it aint working for me.

Just check with ppl in your area and what type was using what facility.

Just my experience and opinion

Huggs

Mira