• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Affects of weight lifting

Guest Brooke-E

Guest Brooke-E

I was wondering if lifting weights a building muscle can have any perminate affects on how masuline one looks. I plan on starting the whole hrt process as soon as I graduate from high school but for now I am stuck for the next year and a half the way I am. And based on my current hobbies, some strength could really help me. But what I want to know is will I be able to stop lifting weights and be able to return my body to the state is it now. Because I luckily have very feminin features. Small shoulders, small waist, small Adams apple. And I don't want any of those things to be perminately changed by the gained muscle. I know having the muscle will make me look more masculine as long as i have it, but I just don't want any change to be perminate after I loose it all.

Guest ~Brenda~

The effects of weight lifting depends on many factors. These include amount of weight and frequency of lifting them.

Low weight (< 20 lbs) will have a more toning affect on your muscles. High weight (>50 lbs) will have more of a muscle building affect.

If weight lifting and body building is important to you then I would say do what makes you happy. Both genders engage in weight lifting so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Except for any serious injury, I would not expect that any weight lifting would have any permanent effects. Over time, your body will reflect what your life style is, not what it was.

Brenda

Guest Brooke-E

Thanks Brenda, and when I think about it, I do not enjoy weight lifting at all. I enjoy running much more. But I am in this fitness program which involves alot of heavy lifting (well over 100 lbs) as well as the cardio geared workouts. And I was thinking, since I'm there, I might as well apply myself and work hard at it. And in order to get the full benifit one would eat or drink something high in protein and carbohydrates after the workout. And I just don't want to do any kind of workout that could possibly perminately masculinate me. Especially when I am actually trying to get the benifits of the workouts.