• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

6 years

Charlize

• Forum Moderator

6 Years ago i walked into the rooms af AA. I am blessed by my higher power and have not needed drink or drugs for those years. I mention that here because i know that only a week before i thought i could never stop using. I am grateful to have found a different way of life and just want to share that it is possible.

Hugs,

Charlie

• Forum Moderator

Charlie that is fantastic! I have seen what alcohol can do to lives and that is such a wonderful accomplishment.

Today words just don't come easy but I am very happy for you and congratulate you on your achievement.

Johnny

• Admin

Charlie, I know that such an accomplishment was hard won, and more difficult than I can imagine. All the more reason to say congrats, and well done!!

HUGS

Carolyn Marie

Guest Gregg Jameson

Hi Charlie,

Congratulations! :score:

I have attended many meetings to celebrate and to see dear friends get their medallions. In a few cases, I have had the tremendous honor of presenting the medallion. I have often provided the cake, too. It's always been such an honor to celebrate sobriety with friends! Many very happy memories! :D

Thank you, Charlie, for sharing your accomplishment with us! You do remind us all there's another option for us, should we ever need assistance in this area of our lives! I have seen so many people change their lives, become a much happier version of themselves, through seriously working the steps in the Halls of AA. It's hard work! Yet, I have seen so many lives transform while working these steps! This work takes courage and dedication, for sure! Yet, the potential payoff is huge!

You share much of yourself here with us! You demonstrate so much understanding, acceptance, compassion and sisterly/brotherly love here! Just imagine the impact upon your life and upon so many, all over the world! Truly amazing! :D

I feel great joy while writing to you just now! So happy for you! :D

You have my deep respect, my gratitude and my appreciation!

Brad

• Forum Moderator

Thank you all but i had so much help.

When i got my 6 year coin at my home group last night it was given to me by the young woman who first said heel to me at my first meeting in that same room. We stood in front of the room at the beginning of the meeting. In her little talk she totally misgendered me and used my male name again and again. I turned a different shade of pink. Many of the new people in the room have only known me as Charlie. I was wonderful though and not a bad thing. One year before i had come to that meeting as myself. For

5 years i had been a male. I was so happy to be able to say that he has 5 years but Charlie has 1. I was also able to share that it is in the rooms of AA that we find honesty and can share things we could never allow in the world as a whole. That honesty and acceptance has freed me to be myself in the world.

There is a world without alcohol that has been beyond my wildest dreams. If you are having problems with alcohol just reach out.

Hugs,

Charlie

There is a world without alcohol that has been beyond my wildest dreams

I've heard it said many times in the meetings that if we were to say what we hoped would happen in our lives when we first got sober we would sell ourselves short. Our higher power and the rooms of aa can take us places we couldn't even hope for. In 2012 I stood in front of 150+ people being serenaded into to my church during a welcoming ceremony for myself and other new members. Total acceptance and love... Yep, charlie, beyond our wildest dreams...

Congratulations on becoming the sober, honest, loving, authentic human being you were

always meant to be one day at a time :)

Hugs

Michelle

Congrats on your sobriety and your Medallion Charlie. If I ever catch up to you in a meeting, I want to sit by you. I know you are good program, with a true Higher power in your heart and life. You are a shining example of recovery. If you are the only Big Book some folks see, you are still a good seed farmer. May many of your seeds germinate in their lives. Oh, is it my turn to talk?

Hi, I'm an alcoholic, my problem is Jody. Is the topic Gratitude and How the Program works in Our Lives? OK. I started in the program in 1992, so beat up inside, I thought I could never live with or live without drugs and alcohol. I had pegged my life as BC and AD, bad childhood and after dope. I transended that life, by working the steps and going to meetings. I found a new freedom and a new happiness. For the first five years I was a little smug, with my nose in the air about people that relapse and leave the program. Why can't they just get it, don't drink, go to meetings, get a Higher Power and work the steps. Boy, did I later get my "Yets"! The next two years I mellowed a little, met a drop dead gorgeous lady, fell for her hook, line and sinker, madly in love, we got married. I left the gal I sobered up with, to a stormy and tearful ending. Two kids in program, in love and heat, in marriage and in making a little family of four. Life was good.

Just after my ten year Medallion, I had presented my wife with her three year medallion, we stopped going to meetings and working the program. We were our own little self contained AA meeting at home, we can fly solo now. Oh, how wrong we were. One night, we drank on the way home from a weekend road trip and the next ten years became a rocky road. She was binge drinking and I was tipping my share too, tanked and spouting program like I knew something. We bounced in and out of the program until she refused to go anymore, so I didn't either.

With the booze ruining our lives, I met a gal that consoled me, became my mistress, turned me back on to pot and I was partnering other ladies behind both their backs. Life seemed good, but a horrible mess. Drinking, smoking and sex daily was the norm. But why was I feeling more and more empty? I can share it was all so difficult to keep up with my lies. No freedom and no happiness.The Program teaches, we are only as sick as our secrets. I had a boat load. Today I can be transperent and with no secrets, they can't be used against me.

With the relationships ending, I bounced in and out of the Program, my "Yets" had bitten me so hard. Even after divorce, I was going to meetings, but having little drinking outings. I had a stack of 24hour chips and I was sick of the groups clapping for me in my first 30 days, from my own stupidity. I stopped telling them I went back out, even to coming to the meetings tipsy. He was still such a mess! The best I did was a year and a half sobriety, but not a good bouncing track record. Program today, booze tonight. round and round on a merry-go-round.

My Higher Power, blessed me with the discoveries of my true self and the courage to be myself. Jody was born from her life long cocoon. I was very freaked out at first, isolating and drinking still. I started in a trans support group, found the help I needed and started HRT, also my new life. As I came out full time, I wanted the circus to leave town, so I went back to the Program. I found tons of accepting people that could help me live a clean and sober life and they just seemed to love Jody. She had way more popularity than he ever was, and she didn't need to hide in sex to validate and gratify her. I found the best female sponsor God could have ever given me, we dove into the steps with ernest. I started finding me and seeing reaults.

By the grace of God and the steps and principals of Alcoholics Anonymous, I have a one year Medallion. It is not his sobriety, it's not his Medallion. It is my very own! I am happy, joyous and free! For that I am so grateful! Charlie is way ahead of me in the game. I need to stick close to her because she is a winner. My three minutes are up, so with that I pass.

• Forum Moderator

Thanks so much for sharing Jody. Hopefully our stories will help others. I am so fortunate and blessed to have had a higher power watching over me. Somehow i managed to get honest in the rooms of AA and allow myself to live without the need for gay bars or liquid courage. I have today as do we all. I'm past fear but am so fortunate to have such wonderful accepting friends in and out of the program. What a lucky ,blessed girl. My gratitude list only seems to grow despite hardships that pop up day by day.

Hugs,

Charlie

• Forum Moderator

Thanks, Rita. Haven't seen you around for a bit. I went to Charlie as it works with my male id's. I hate that but i may be there for awhile if Gov. Christy has his way with same sex marriage. I i change my name it may be that or Charlene. My wife likes that better and i can settle for 'hey you'.

Hugs,

Charlie

Most peculiar Miss Charlene, I always thought that was your name, I guess it was in my mind's eye. I thought Charlie was just a tomboy tag nickname, to show the boys you could whip them at their own game and still be sweet and sexy.

I will share what my mind's eye would have for you in a Barbie car. Sort of a Charlene does cruz nite. Hot pink '49 Merc, slammed with chrome three cap lake pipes 2" off the ground. White Carson top with 6" gun slit windows. Full moons with wide whitewalls and of course, full skirts on the back. Frenched, bullnosed and shaved. Script lettered "Charlie" on the back of the rear bonnet and a "Charlene" license plate. White button tuft interior with pale pink carpet. You could flash the boys your smile and they would just die of love and envy. What do you think? Giggle.

Well then, would you settle for a hot pink Case tractor? I'm pretty good with the foo foo cans, I can girlify one for you, it you can't bank roll the Merc! LOL! Hug. JodyAnn