• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Fantasy Or Sci Fi

Guest Elizabeth K

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sally

Drew Karphyshyn, my favorite sci-fi author. He wrote scripts for a Star Wars game and he wrote the Darth Bane Star Wars book series.

HES MY HERO.

Right under Iron Man, of course.

Guest DeniseNM

Well Liz my favorite author is a tie between four and all are fantasy fiction. They are J.R.R.Tolkien, C.S. Lewis, Piers Anthony and David Eddings (yes I am a fantasy and RPG geek :P ). I guess one of my favorite book series is Anthony's Xanth series because it is so whimiscal and pokes fun at so much in real life.

Movies I have way to many to choose from.

Denise

Guest Donna Jean

All time favorite has got to be 2001 "A Space Odyssey" and "A Clockwork Orange" Both by Stanley Kubrick

Oh, and "Angry Red Planet"!

Donna Jean

Well, I learned to read very young about three and worked my way through my parent's books that were in my room (the former den) so I started with the complete works of Edgar Allen Poe and Sherlock Holmes Complete Adventures - not really a fit into either catagory but it explains a little of my quirky personality.

Douglas Adams - all five books in "The Hitchhiker's Trilogy" (That in itself is reason enough)

Arthur C. Clark - "Tales From the White Heart", "Rondevous With Rama" and "2001"

Movie - "The Day the Earth Stood Still" (1952) and "The Thing" (1951)

I like older stuff, because I'm old.

Love ya,

Seriously Senior Sally

Oh, good one Naomi,

Do you like "Martian Chronicles" or "I, Robot" or his short stories - I loved all of the things he wrote for the "Twighlight Zone". Very good choice.

Love ya,

Sally

Guest Naomi Stardust

love the martian chronicles

i robot

and really love the twilight zone

my goal in life is to someday finish reading all of ray bradbury's short stories

(I've a long way to go)

I can't help it dude, I chuckle every time you make sure we remember Iron Man lol you are da man.

And like Sally said, its not really what we're talkin about but I like E.A. Poe.

I also choose the Twillight Zone

Guest Elizabeth K
Drew Karphyshyn, my favorite sci-fi author. He wrote scripts for a Star Wars game and he wrote the Darth Bane Star Wars book series.

HES MY HERO.

Comic Book Iron Man or Movie. I have issues 1 through 17!

Guest Jackson

I didn't realize a new thread had been started till after I posted in the other one. I'm such an idiot now that I'm going to grad school.

I started reading early too. I read Sherlock Holmes and Shakespeare before I was in middle school/junior high.

I'm not one for sci-fi or fantasy, but...

I love the book Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett. You gotta love any book about another world (similar to ours) that includes someone having a "flashside" (like a flashback, but from an alternative universe) about Vietnam and helicopters just because he was withdrawing from caffeine.

Wait a sec. That sounds a little too much like me. I gotta go make some more coffee.

Guest Elizabeth K
i like everything that has been listed so far

but my favorite sci-fi author is Ray Bradbury

I met him in person - I had to pick him up at the airport for a SciFiCom I was working - took him back afterward! Fantastic mind - lives in Venice, California. His favorite of his works - you are not gonna believe this... Moby Dic {censoring program of all things kicked in - I had to edit} , an adaptation. Did you know he writes plays?

Guest Naomi Stardust

Lizzy, i have a book of his plays, the ones i have are all adaptations of his short stories though

it's weird, and i like weird, but everytime you ask an author what their favorite of their own work is, it's never the most popular and it's usually kinda obscure... at least that's my experience

anyway speaking of books (and this is TG related)

i have a writer's residency from the 25th to feb. 8, i'm working on 2 projects, one a full length book of my poems, and the other is a chapbook of my trans poetry, i found a nice LGBT contest that i'm planning on submitting to :)

but the thing is i won't have an internet connection, arggghhhh! so this might be my last post til february!

try to carry on without me

be back in a couple weeks

p.s.

i'm bringing my Ray Bradbury anthologies with me!

Comic Book Iron Man or Movie. I have issues 1 through 17!

I'd loveee to read the comic books but the comic books are realllyyyyy old. Like before I was born old. So their hard to find. I guess their making new GN(graphic novel) Iron man comics, though. I'll collect those once I find I. Right now I'm spending any spare cash collecting GN OMNIBUS, Star Wars - Tales Of The Jedi comics. I got number one and two. Those are the only ones out so far.

Anyways..

The movie Iron Man. Almost a perfect movie. A super hero thats a jerk - he has everything in the world but love. Explosions, sexy cars, woman, men. Epic battle at the end. I liked the scene when Iron Man first showed off his new bomb at the start of the movie. Now that ones one big BOOOOMMM.

@Evan:

B)

Guest CharlieRose
I love the book Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett. You gotta love any book about another world (similar to ours) that includes someone having a "flashside" (like a flashback, but from an alternative universe) about Vietnam and helicopters just because he was withdrawing from caffeine.

I love Terry Pratchett! My favorite of his is "The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents." It's billed as a children's book, but it really is exactly like his other books, just without the swearing and sex and stuff. Same sense of humor, same awesome and ridiculous characters, but the plot in this particular book is really cool too.

Iron Man Old?

He was a late comer compared to Captain America! Shazam! What do they teach in history classes? It should be classic comics! :o Sorry.

I met Gene Roddenberry and I supose that one would consider him a sci-fi writer. :D

He didn't really mention a favorite story but he did explain that no one ever got to see the original piolot, so he brought a Black and White copy and ran it for the colleges where he lectured. It was cut up and put into a two part episode called "The Cage" - it never aired because in the 1960s NBC wasn't ready for a woman to be the second in command, they also had the input on the short skirts and boots - original uniforms were unisex, pants and velor shirts. Ah, ratings! He had to tell the actress that she was going from second in command to nurse and the voice of the computers (the only one to appear in every series and movie), it was so difficult he decided to marry her to make it a little easier to take - she now runs it all - Take that NBC!

Love ya,

Sally

Guest Kelly Ann

Absolute VERY Favorite-L. Sprauge De Camp [irony]

1st Runner Up- Isaac Asimov (especially the Robot Novels with R. Daneel Olivaw) [sheer genius]

2nd Runner Up- Harlan Ellison [absolute grip from the micro.macro]

3rd Runner Up- Douglas Adams (sorry Sally...I treasure my leather bound complete works book, complete BBC T.V. Series and Movie) [The TRUTH]

4th Runner Up- Everybody else in no particular order

Cross-eyed Kelly Ann

Haha, sorry Sally. I don't know alot about old comics. I only found out the existence of Iron Man from the new movie. I'm shabby with my Marvel history. :lol:

Guest Kelly Ann

Zabrak...I, Kelly Ann, am almost the Fort Knox Repository...Sally that's repository, NOT suppository of The Mighty Marvel Universe...I was a wee 'un barely able to speak when the words came out..."Make Mine Marvel" Jack Kirby had THE greatest talent for THE most outlandish machinery ever concieved, Ditko,,,Stan Lee...and eventually an unknown to do Daredevil named Frank Miller. As a side note Ironman was always showing up across the different books...but he was especially important to Nick Fury...former top-kick of the Howling Commandos...who became head of S.H.E.I.L.D. Tony also worked a lot with Reed Richards of FF fame (Mr. Fantastic)...I collected all of those when they came out every 3 weeks...even the westerns of which Ghost Rider was a cool one but he rode a horse back then not a Harley...Evan no motey-sickle ridin' for you sir for a while...remember? Anyways Zabrak...may the All Seeing Eye of Ammagotto shine upon you always and by Vishanti never may your name never be mentioned by the Dread Dormammu, darn smoke grenades never work right when I use them<sigh>walks off unceremoniously shaking her head, Kelly Ann

Guest Jackson
...even the westerns of which Ghost Rider was a cool one but he rode a horse back then not a Harley...Evan no motey-sickle ridin' for you sir for a while...remember?

I forgot Ghost Rider was originally a comic book. I'd rather ride a horse any day of the week than a Harley. There's something about riding a horse that is an experience that you don't get with riding motorcycles. Ah, the good old days....

Nick Fury Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. had one of the coolest of all of the outladish machines - The Blimp aircraft carrier - remember it? An actual aircraft carrier flight deck drawn on top of a giant blimp with about 14 helicopter roters on long poles lining the sides of the deck. They made a movie out of that one, to give you an idea of how good - Nick Fury (David Hasselhoff), 'nuff said.

Marvel had an answer for anyone that any other comics had, Sub-Mariner (Aquaman), Dr. Strange (Mandrake the Magician), Dare Devil (Batman - no super powers just brains and physical agility), so you can see how things could escalate and new comics were everwhere in the 50s and early 60s.

It became a battle of the Titans DC verses Marvel.

Those were the days.

Sorry, I'm back now - the comic book was a combination of an art style and storytelling. Graphic novels are the next evolution.

And now in the famous words ending every episode of "The Outer Limits", "We now return control of your Post (TV) to you until the next time when we again take you to the outer limits."

Love ya,

Rod Serling Sally

Guest Kelly Ann

The Heli-ship was headquarters for S.H.E.I.L.D. and could even go into space...I have a lot of comics still...VERY sadly not any of my massive collection of ALL Marvels...I do Have an almost complete collection of Valiant Comics which includes Shadowman...shades of Newal Leans (a jazz sax player and Zombie killer in The Big Easy), Solar-Man of the Atom, Bloodshot (blood infused with nanites which are micro-machines), Harbingers...a bunch more...and MY FAVORITE Turok Dinosaur Killer. I live and breathe for Frank Miller comics and THAT is where the last two Batman movies came from as well as 300 and Sin City. Frank Rules! Kelly Ann