• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Fantasy Or Sci Fi

Guest Elizabeth K

Watch out Jackson, you have no idea how pushy some of these girls can get - don't you remember the Hai-Karate commercials? :P

I'm sure you will look just great, besides it is the inner man that really counts! :wub:

Love ya,

Sally

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sally

Guest Jackson
Watch out Jackson, you have no idea how pushy some of these girls can get - don't you remember the Hai-Karate commercials? :P

I'm sure you will look just great, besides it is the inner man that really counts! :wub:

Love ya,

Sally

The Hai-Karate commercials? No, I don't. Remember? I'm in college again. I cannot remember a single thing anymore. I'm lucky enough to remember my own name sometimes. And I've forgotten that occasionally too.

The Hai-Karate commercials? No, I don't. Remember? I'm in college again. I cannot remember a single thing anymore. I'm lucky enough to remember my own name sometimes. And I've forgotten that occasionally too.

They had a guy in them that was slightly less muscular than Andy Dicc (misspelled to avoid the word filter).

He splashes on a bit of Hai-Karate after shave and women start fighting over him and tearing his clothes off - in later commercials they even came out of his medicine cabinet!

Classic Television, forgotten! :(

Love ya youngsters,

Sally

I am trying to remember the name of a truly terrible sci-fi movie made in the 70s I believe, I know it wa from MGM studios, but I never saw it, only the commercials. The plot had to do with an alien invasion I think or set in the future - Some help there, but they were taking humans and putting a man and woman into a machine and they came out as one being with both sexes - they strangley enough came out bald with four arms and wering a pair of dark glasses, a black vinyl short sleeved overall with short pants, a weapon in their hands and somehow totally under the control of the evil leader - does that sound familiar to anybody?

Here's one I do remember, called "Moon - Zero - Two!", a western in space long before "Outland" (with Sean Connery and Peter Boyles). It stared James Olson (I loved him) and the music was written and performed by my trumpet idol Don Ellis. It was very campy and featured a bar room brawl with the saloon's artifical gravity turned off so wiith every one at aobut 1/6 Earth's gravity an upper cut was histerical.

Love ya,

Sally

Guest Jackson

Sally, you should be careful.

Does anyone remember the best sci-fi show ever? Mystery Science Theater 3000. I'd forgotten all about it until Sally mentioned bad sci-fi movies. That was the greatest. I had to look it up because there used to be so many jokes about the midwest in it.

Thanks a lot, Sally. Now I'm gonna have to go and see if I can't find all those episodes on DVD somewhere. God, I loved that show.

I had forgotten about one of the really good sci-fi movies which actually can be seen as the pattern for the original Star Trek Series. In the mid fifties WB made a movie called "Forbidden Planet" , they hired animators from the Disney studios to supply outlines of the invisible monster when caught in the laser fence. The Space Ship was sent on a rescue mission to a planet that had been a colony before all contact ceased, on approach they were warned of by the only surviving member of the first ship. Leslie Neilson played the captain, he had an older Doctor on board (Warren Stevens) and a young, brilliant science officer who could do anything (Richard Anderson), the other crew mwmbers were not household names at the time, James Drury (the Virginian) had two lines and Earl Holiman (lots of westerns "Sons of Katy Elder" and Police Woman). This movie introduced two new stars, Anne Francis and Robbie the Robot. Walter Pidgeon played the survivor. Watch it sometime and remember how old it is! And you should see the outline for the crew and missions of the Enterprise!

Love ya,

Sally

Guest Kelly Ann

MST3K...goody ROBOTS!!!! And really FUNNY robots too. That was a great show for background...<gulp> I remember Hai Karate...the commercials were cool...the product was...I'll be kind...less underwhelming than Old Spice...jeeze it stunk actually, yuck! Jackson you missed absolutely nothing there...I bought some for my dad one Christmas and my mom 'accidentally' dropped it...strangely enough OUTSIDE LOL...ya'll make me giggle, Kelly Ann

Guest DeniseNM

MST3K OMG loved that show .. reminded me of me and my friends my year at Birmingham Southern College ... loved the robots sarcastic and irreverant. Sally I remember the Hai Karate commericials (way to funny). When I was trying to be a guy I never liked cologna and after-shave (go figure) but wore Black Suede at times when I had to. Sally you are right it is the inner man or lady that counts that's why the men and ladies here are such wonderful and beautiful people :D .

Yes Kelly part of the reason the Hulk became green was because the gray didn't work right on the paper (neve was the same each month) so Jack and Stan got tired of the colorist complaining and asking for a new color. They looked around at all the heroes and asked what color wasn't used and saw green wasn't used and BANG a green Hulk. Way to funny.

Denise (comic and fantasy geek :P )

Guest Donna Jean

Kelly Ann Said:

MST3K...goody ROBOTS!!!! And really FUNNY robots too. That was a great show for background

Oh MY, How I loved that show! The robots just cracked me up..the continous comments on the movie...the worse the movie the better!! Joel, Cambot, Crow and Tom Servo! YIKES! So much fun!!

Weird Donna Jean

It reminded me of college and helps explain why no one wanted to go to the movies with me and my friends - we were the robots. I remember in a fim called "It Came From Outer Space" a rather boring little opus in 3D and I can not tell you why, the ailien wasn't seen, it took over towns people (much cheaper that way) and left behind a glittering trail. When our hero Richard Carlson discovered that his house had been broken into and the only things stolen were his suits, he asked the sherriff how to explain that. Instantly my friend souted, "Poor Taste" and at least the audience got a good laugh.

Slightly Askew Sally

Guest Christy.dancer

I'm not a real sci-fi or fantasy fan, cuz... well... my life is such a science fiction story already, right?

But a couple of years ago, over at Dad's house, I found a really old, badly dog-eared copy of Bored of the Rings by the Harvard Lampoon. (If you're not familiar with the Harvard Lampoon, go see the recent "Actors Studio" interview with Conan O'Brian. He was the editor of it when he was at Harvard.

Anyway, it basically skewers the whole Tolkein genre. "He would have finished him off then and there, but pity stayed his hand. It's a pity I've run out of bullets, he thought, as he went back up the tunnel. . . "

In keeping with the traditions of the Harvard Lampoon, the title Bored of the Rings was stolen by Mad Magazine and used as the title of its running parody.

Guest Felicia Anne

my favorite fantasy or sci-fi writer, hands down, would have to be harlan ellison. an early contributer to the twilight zone and the first run of star trek, he is out of his mind brilliant. he can write anything from science fiction to western to romance to humor to film reviews, and never misses a beat. he puts people off with his abrasive and curmudgeony ways, but he has won more writing awards than any other living author. admittedly hard to find, he is worth the effort in tracking down.

my favorite fictional book would have to be "the scarlet letter" by nathaniel hawthorne

my favorite fictional short story would have to be a tie between "an occurance at owl creek bridge" by ambrose pierce, and "araby", by james joyce

and before you go thinking i'm a classical victorian lady...

my favorite sci-fi movie is "the empire strikes back", and my favorite sci-di series is "mystery science theater 3000" - i would love to go up there and riff with joel and the bots... plus, i think joel is very cute...

oh, and switch sci-fi to horror, and the answers are "psycho" and "buffy the vampire slayer"

(gonna be shy now... bye)

Guest DeniseNM
I'm not a real sci-fi or fantasy fan, cuz... well... my life is such a science fiction story already, right?

But a couple of years ago, over at Dad's house, I found a really old, badly dog-eared copy of Bored of the Rings by the Harvard Lampoon. (If you're not familiar with the Harvard Lampoon, go see the recent "Actors Studio" interview with Conan O'Brian. He was the editor of it when he was at Harvard.

Anyway, it basically skewers the whole Tolkein genre. "He would have finished him off then and there, but pity stayed his hand. It's a pity I've run out of bullets, he thought, as he went back up the tunnel. . . "

OMG Bored of the Rings I haven't heard that in a loooooong time (yes I had a copy and loved it). Great book and it was great because it poked fun at LOTR (and from what I have read about Tolkien he would have loved it for that reason). :blink:

Denise (definately strange and unusual)

Guest Jackson

Felicia Anne, great choices! I'd forgotten all about one of my favorite Harlan Ellison stories "The Prowler in the City at the Edge of the World". I cannot believe I've never read anything by Ambrose Bierce having been into the Civil War so much. I'll go and read that one posthaste.

Mention of James Joyce reminds me of another James -- James Thurber. One of my favorites of his was "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty".

Guest Felicia Anne

omg, jackson! i loved walter mitty! it was such a well writen short, and it really demonstrated how a gifted writer can take his audience where they want them to go. as a reader, i had no control over my imagination, and i really liked that!

Guest Kelly Ann

You go Jackson you are THE man. Ellison's I have No Mouth and I Must Scream was way too much packed into a compact space. Thurber!!!! Ta-pocketta ta-packetta hand me that fountain pen. Wasn't it Ambrose Bierce that did A Portrait of Dorian Grey? I forget with all the stuff floating around and moving about constantly, Kelly Ann

Guest Jackson

Kelly Ann, I had to look that one up about The Picture of Dorian Gray. Just the other day I was thinking it was someone (can't remember who) and I was surprised to find out it was Oscar Wilde.

So since Felicia Anne mentioned "An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge", being the good CW reenactor (Confederate even B) ) I had to go read it. And I also remembered that I had a copy of a movie called "Ambrose Bierce: Civil War Stories" which actually has "An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge" in it.

Did anyone know that "An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge" was actually adapted into an Oscar nominated movie as well as an episode of "The Twilight Zone"? Has anyone seen these? I've tried collecting as many Civil War movies as I can, but I never knew about this until now.

I learned something today (aka Stan and Kyle).

Guest Tammy Maher
My father is head director of background sets. He worked on Stargate SG1, Outter limits and Iron man(+ more but I forgot the names). He brought me down to his work in Vancover once and I got to touch the Stargate. :lol:

Kind of a stretch, but...

Is there anyway you could get RDA's autograph for me? I was seconds from it at San Diego Comic-Con last year, but didn't get it.