• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Had my first visit with speech pathologist today

Guest Robin Winter

Guest Robin Winter

This morning was my first visit with a professional speech pathologist. I still need to get an all clear from an ENT doctor before we can start any real work, but she started my assessment today. I kept laughing because I felt so silly making all the noises and stuff, so we ran out of time and I have to have another session to finish the assessment. Also, I'm still recovering from a flu, so I can't reach my full range anyway, so it worked out for the best. Apparently I have very good lung capacity though, she assumed I was an athlete after doing a couple of tests. Not bad for an asthmatic ;) I have a good feeling about her. She doesn't work strictly with trans people, she actually works out of a hospital for all kinds of hearing and speech issues, but she's trying to get more involved with trans people and is actually trying to set up a group workshop that she wanted me involved with, which is why I ended up getting my appointment about a year sooner than I normally would have. Best part is that the whole thing is covered by our provincial health care, so it's not costing me a thing. We seem to really be making some great advancements here for trans health care, though the medical professionals that are making the effort to learn still seem few and far between. Still, progress is progress, and I'm very excited about this :)

Guest Gypsyfeenix

Pfft.....Might get my voice a bit higher, but that doesn't mean I'll be able to sing like you ;)

Dream a lil dream, wish a lil wish ;)

Hey Shilo:

So your seeing a speech pathologist now to. I've been working with mine since the end of January. Had my assesment meet with the supervising professor last Thursday and I've done so well that I'm ahead of their goals that they had set for me. I have a work iPad that I take to my sessions, record the session and practice it over at home before the next session which has helped a lot with the improvement I want to achieve Shilo.

Wish I had done this sooner Shilo. A speech pro gets you further ahead faster with fewer mistakes. Take care, Singing in the Rain, I'm singing in the rain, cough cough. Kathryn