• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Holdup Stockings

Guest Roberta-Belinda

Guest Roberta-Belinda

What do you girls think of hold-up stockings. I bought two pairs a few weeks ago, I mistook them for tights, I meant to return them to the store but on second thoughts I decided to give them a try. I was quite pleasantly surpsrised how nice they looked and felt. I am strictly a tights girl always have been, I absolutely adore them but the hold-up stockings in nearly black were surprisingly comfortable and made my legs look great. The stocking tops made me feel very glamorous and sexy. Think I will try them again, they will never take the place of my beloved tights but they made for a nice alternative. A happy mistake.

• Admin

I am a little confused by what you mean by "hold up" stockings. Do you mean thigh high stockings with elastic on the top around your thighs, or do you mean stockings that need a garter belt and garters to hold them up? For the thigh high's with elastic tops, they do feel and look great. I can't wear tights per se because I still have a bit of beer belly left after 4 years, but do need somthing for skirts and dresses just at or a little above the knee and the stocking do the job nicely. I do have garter support belts and can wear the non-elastic top stockings with them, and they look as good as the thigh highs, but you have to remember to put the garter belt and stockings on BEFORE you put on your underpants / knickers, or going to the bathroom becomes a serious chore.

I had a totally different image when I read the topic - I thought it was asking what stockings we would recommend to wear during a holdup.

But yes, I do wear knee highs with my very long skirts or pants and thigh highs if the skirt is shorter - once I have lost another 50 pounds I might go back to my pantyhose but it is just so much trouble to get them on when you are as overweight as I am.

Love ya,

Sally

Guest Guest_

I love both kinds. To me they are more feminine than panty hose. I still have to wear a garter belt with thy highs. They always seem to slip down. But if you want that feminine fealing go with either one. Love Amber L.

Guest Eve Caillard

I adore hold-up stockings!!! I buy the ones with the silicone band and have two sources: Morrisons the supermarket have very cheap 15 denier ones in black and barely black that I stock up on. They're great for all uses but wear out quickly. By far my favourite are thick, black 60 denier hold-ups from an E-bay outlet. They ride higher than the supermarket ones and are lovely and warm in this cold weather. At home and at work I wear these with no socks as they look just like black socks below trousers anyway. And they feel so comfortable in the ladies boots I wear (under jeans at home, and at work) and in other shoes. They are cooler on the feet. I'm wearing them right now! Only the summer will stop me from wearing them. I have got to say, I was tights, tights, tights until I got into these and I far prefer them. I love the feel of the stockings on the tops of the legs, like having suspenders and stockings without the hassle of suspender belt.

Yep - hold-up stockings are the business! And if the silicone glue goes, I can still use them with a suspender belt. In fact, I'm sure I could use them with a suspender belt anyway if I felt like it. Can't lose, really!

Eve

Guest *Natalie*

I had a totally different image when I read the topic - I thought it was asking what stockings we would recommend to wear during a holdup.

Haha, yes they are very useful when worn on your head :D

I wear them often and prefer them to tights, pantihose.

Guest Jaques

Hold up stockings? They roll down - but suspenders, well, they hold up your stockings - and are vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvery sexy - esp holding up stockings with seams down the legs - hubba hubba, lol!

Guest Emma Leigh

I prefer Stockings to tights..but I do wear both...on the subject of holdups however I have had mixed results with the silicon ones...I find your legs need to be freshly shaved waxed or whatever..any sign of hair or stubble and they will refuse to work at all.....Tesco,s I have found to be a total failure.....I had heard good reports about Asda,s (Walmart stateside) and I find they work well.....for about 3 hours then they let go and will not stay up again until the next time I wear them then its the same story all over again....Elasticated hold ups are fine except they can affect the circulation after a while...In conclusion you cannot beat the old stockings and suspenders. :thumbsup:

Oh someone said you can always use the silicon type hold-ups with suspenders if they fail to actually hold up and of course you can but make sure your suspenders have metal clasps..if yours have plastic clasps you can easily snap the clasps unless you are careful to fasten them in the small gap between the silicon rings

Guest Lori Brady

I use regular old school stockings when I wear my Rago girdle......but in most cases when wearing my Veronica which is like a long leg panty girdle I use thigh-hi's /stay ups under the legs of the Veronica.I think Emm should work in the hosiery dept instead of auto parts...:-p

I prefer Stockings to tights..but I do wear both...on the subject of holdups however I have had mixed results with the silicon ones...I find your legs need to be freshly shaved waxed or whatever..any sign of hair or stubble and they will refuse to work at all.....Tesco,s I have found to be a total failure.....I had heard good reports about Asda,s (Walmart stateside) and I find they work well.....for about 3 hours then they let go and will not stay up again until the next time I wear them then its the same story all over again....Elasticated hold ups are fine except they can affect the circulation after a while...In conclusion you cannot beat the old stockings and suspenders. :thumbsup:

Oh someone said you can always use the silicon type hold-ups with suspenders if they fail to actually hold up and of course you can but make sure your suspenders have metal clasps..if yours have plastic clasps you can easily snap the clasps unless you are careful to fasten them in the small gap between the silicon rings

Guest Eve Caillard

Hmm - I have used silicone hold-ups for months now and never had a problem! Once on, they stay put all day. Washing of course refreshes the silicone. I am almost a female level of body hairlessness (which, as a CD is very useful :) ) so I never have to shave legs or limbs. Perhaps I have an advantage! And I totally agree with you on metal clasps on suspenders. The plastic ones are rubbish. In the end, suspenders and stockings are the best; but I find a quick pair of hold-ups (that stay held up) does me for getting ready for work! I'd spend too long with belt and stockings for the average under-dressed day.

Eve

Guest Emma Leigh

I like to think I am eloquent on both subjects Lori...but to date no one has offered me a job in a Hosiery dept

I use regular old school stockings when I wear my Rago girdle......but in most cases when wearing my Veronica which is like a long leg panty girdle I use thigh-hi's /stay ups under the legs of the Veronica.I think Emm should work in the hosiery dept instead of auto parts...:-p

Guest Lori Brady

well,,if ya ever need someone to vouch for ya,,,,,jus' sayin'....lol :friends:

I like to think I am eloquent on both subjects Lori...but to date no one has offered me a job in a Hosiery dept

• 2 weeks later...
Guest MichellePetite

I adore them as currently I am having a love affair with ankle length cullottes. I of course wear French Knickers and suspenders just don't work with FK's . Well in my humble opinion. But Hold ups do! Elegant Evening sandals complete the ensemble. Oh of course I wear a nice chic white blouse!

Any how that's why I am currently a big fan!

Guest MichellePetite

Just read Emma Leigh's comments from the 4th. April. I can recommend those Hold ups sold by Sainsburys one can get them for £3 for one or £5 for two pairs. They are Black opaque and look so nice (I nearly went into gush mode there!) and the lacy trim enhances the thigh so nicely. Quite unexpectedly they wash really well in the machine just on ordinary load and I am getting lots of fun out of them indeed! Sorry. Back to the Stockings, you will find that the silicone grips are more efficient than Tesco's own. I think I'm going off now to ask for some commission!

Guest MichellePetite

I really should have read all of the posts before running off to say my bit! Jaques I suspect that you are over stretching the stocking when you put it on. This then increases the tension in the vertical to a point when the nylon starts to contract rather like an elastic band and so pulling them down. The trick is as with all stockings to ensure that in donning them the tension is as evenly spread as possible so that the tension in the nylon is spread evenly throughout the stocking. Gosh the science of stockings! whodda thought it! I do hope that this info is of some value to all.

Guest Jaques

I really should have read all of the posts before running off to say my bit! Jaques I suspect that you are over stretching the stocking when you put it on.

..............................ha ha, very funny! I'd look great in stockings with my hairy legs..............NOT, LOL!

Guest Stephniejoy

I love Fully-Fashioned seamed nylons with either French, Cuban, or manhattan style heels, and also RHT. These are held up with garters and i just love the feeling of walking in heels in them.

Guest MichellePetite

I really should have read all of the posts before running off to say my bit! Jaques I suspect that you are over stretching the stocking when you put it on.

..............................ha ha, very funny! I'd look great in stockings with my hairy legs..............NOT, LOL!

Ah Jaques! it impresses when one has the knowledge and can assist a lady in her dressing with some elegance. The thought of hairy legs and stockings yuk! - then I imagine you have a more elegant style! lol !

Guest MichellePetite

I love Fully-Fashioned seamed nylons with either French, Cuban, or manhattan style heels, and also RHT. These are held up with garters and i just love the feeling of walking in heels in them.

Yes Stephaniejoy, the 'Golden Oldies' are hard to beat! But the side effect is the need for extra storage for my collection of garters!

Guest Stephniejoy

Yes Stephaniejoy, the 'Golden Oldies' are hard to beat! But the side effect is the need for extra storage for my collection of garters!

Unfortunately, the 'vintage' golden oldies do not fit, so I find the same 'vintage' type stockings on sites from England. 15 deneir, original styles, but longer. Evidently the British still have the original machines that are highly maintained and they make them in my 36" inseam length. Also I wear a size 10M womens shoe so the foor can't be too large. I find the vintage 'Tall Girl' stockings work as well and I was fortunate to find 10 boxes w/4pr in each box (Reinforced Heel & Toes) on ebay. I have some panyhose and tights, and these are ok, but the true nylon stockings are fantabulous!

I also love latex stockings! :)

I know! Garter belts take up room galore..but I bought a very nice lingerie chest with 12 drawers that hold most of my accessories, garter belts, gloves, hosiery, panties etc.

Guest Jaques

Ah Jaques! it impresses when one has the knowledge and can assist a lady in her dressing with some elegance. The thought of hairy legs and stockings yuk! - then I imagine you have a more elegant style! lol !

yes, my missus tried the hold up variety, white lacey ones with a basque to match, i must say she looked stunning but the tops did roll down a bit - so iif i were a lady dont think id want to go out in them - besides suspenders are so sexy - i love the old fashioned ones the burlesque ladies wear

Guest otter-girl

Jaques. lol. You are terrible.

My SO hates me as holdups stay up on my legs. Strangely I prefer tights though.

Hugs

Rachel

Guest Eve Caillard

I can't help but come back and say - I LOVE hold-ups! Lacy top, black or darks with some lycra, they all do for me. I have never had problems with them staying up. My favourites in the winter are 60 denier blacks. They are so warm and cosy. I like tights and proper stockings too, but hold ups are just so easy! As I under-dress all the time they don't take long to pop on in the morning and I have no garter belt straps showing through trousers! Summer time I prefer 15 deniers and I get cheap ones from the supermarket. I'm all for hold-ups! But now I MUST get some other colours...

Guest Jaques

my other fav. thing about stockings is the seams....................right up the back of the legs, why is it they always look so sexy, esp. with stilletos?