• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Been a busy week already in Sarahland

Guest Sarah Faith

Guest Sarah Faith

Well, I've had a really busy week so far and there is still 2 days to go!

I've been in the process of changing my legal name since I started transitioning in February, it's a bit more drawn out in Colorado than in other states though so it's been taking some time. I had to get fingerprinted, and then send those cards off to the FBI and the CBI for criminal background checks. Well the court suggested I send the one to the FBI in first and then wait 6-7 weeks to send the one to the CBI in since the FBI usually takes 9-12 weeks to return theirs, and the CBI takes about 4 weeks. Getting them around the same time is important because both checks have to have been within 90 days of filing the petition.. Well I got the FBI one back in march only 3 and a half weeks after sending it in which is great.. but also kinda bad! So I sent in my CBI one and they took the full 4 weeks and I just got it back over the weekend.

So today I went down to the county court building and filed my petition! I've officially got a hearing date for my legal name change, though they were booked until the end of June so yet more waiting! Though I am really happy to not have to worry about the time sensitive nature of getting the background checks taken care of anymore. Either way I'm really happy that it won't be too much longer until I'll finally be able to show my ID again. I also stopped in at the DMV to get the form for my doctor to sign to have my Gender Marker on my license changed, which I'll be taking in for her to fill out on Friday..

Which leads me to how my week is going to end.. a complete physical... I haven't had one of those in over 10 years so I have to say that certainly makes me nervous!

Another huge step for me, I've finally made an appointment with a stylist to style my hair and shape my eyebrows!

So with any luck in just 2 months I'll be able to use things like my credit card with out outing my self. :)

• Root Admin

Things are definitely moving. Congratulations. :)

• Forum Moderator

Congratz.That's a big step and will be great to finally have it done.

Hoping to get my name change done in June and talk to the judge privately about the gender marker change. Need to wait till June so school is out in case there are any reactions to the three weeks publication in the only paper in the county that is required here.

Never had a physical that they didn't find something till the one I finally had last June. The first after starting T and it was the best of my life -at 65. I think the right hormones just agree with us. But being somewhat phobic about Drs I understand your nerves. Just keep concentrating on that hair appointment instead. We'll expect pics

Johnny

Guest Sarah Faith

Thanks all! :) It's a huge weight off my shoulders to finally have the hearing date set. What's incredible is it wasn't too long ago that I looked at the requirements for this whole process and just assumed "That's too hard I'll never be able to do it." I've come a long way in the last 4 months. :) So no way I could give up now!

Congratz.That's a big step and will be great to finally have it done.

Hoping to get my name change done in June and talk to the judge privately about the gender marker change. Need to wait till June so school is out in case there are any reactions to the three weeks publication in the only paper in the county that is required here.

Never had a physical that they didn't find something till the one I finally had last June. The first after starting T and it was the best of my life -at 65. I think the right hormones just agree with us. But being somewhat phobic about Drs I understand your nerves. Just keep concentrating on that hair appointment instead. We'll expect pics

Johnny

Well, all the documentation here said that I would need to publish my name change in the paper 3 times as well and the only exceptions are for domestic abuse victims. However the Court Clerk told me that I may or may not have to take that step that it was up to the discretion of the Judge. So who knows if she was just misinformed, or if I might actually get to skip that step. It doesn't really matter either way in my case everyone I care about at this point already knows, but maybe that'll be the case for you and it wont be a problem. Like I said though maybe she was just misinformed, I don't really know.

Doctors offices have always made me nervous, and that was especially so when I had all the anxiety issues overwhelming me. I was just always afraid if I did the complete physical they would find out something horrible and I'd end up having to have emergency surgery or something. With me transitioning and all though, I want to make sure I'm careful with my health so I agreed to do it lol.

I'll definitely take pictures after my hair appointment! :D

Hair styling and brow waxing are fun. I go to the local beauty school, and am well known there. I'm treated very well, almost like a celebrity. Everyone likes to stop by and say hello. It's a fun place to have girl talk.

As far as the name change, I didn't realize you had to go through that many hoops in Colorado. I am sorry about all cost and time required. I would expect this from a socially conservative state, and not Colorado.

Arizona is a red state, and all I had to do was get a letter from my GT, and have the paperwork ready. No court appointment either, it was walk-in. I arrived at 9:30, paid $236,gave the clerk my paperwork, and sat in the hallway waiting to be called. By noon I had my court orders for both name and gender change.

Jenny

Guest Sarah Faith

Hair styling and brow waxing are fun. I go to the local beauty school, and am well known there. I'm treated very well, almost like a celebrity. Everyone likes to stop by and say hello. It's a fun place to have girl talk.

As far as the name change, I didn't realize you had to go through that many hoops in Colorado. I am sorry about all cost and time required. I would expect this from a socially conservative state, and not Colorado.

Arizona is a red state, and all I had to do was get a letter from my GT, and have the paperwork ready. No court appointment either, it was walk-in. I arrived at 9:30, paid $236,gave the clerk my paperwork, and sat in the hallway waiting to be called. By noon I had my court orders for both name and gender change.

Jenny

Well it's not really a transgender specific requirement. It's that way for anyone who would like to change their name, the state is really paranoid about people changing their name to avoid the law and to avoid debts.

What's really problematic though is that in the state of Colorado any criminal record is enough to disqualify someone to change their name I believe, so any transpeople with any criminal history even if its ancient history would be unable to change their name for transition. Which is sad.

Guest Lizzie McTrucker

That's crazy you were required to send some paperwork to the FBI. Eyebrow waxing will probably hurt a little your first time but it's all in the name of beauty and looking fabulous.

Guest Sarah Faith

That's crazy you were required to send some paperwork to the FBI. Eyebrow waxing will probably hurt a little your first time but it's all in the name of beauty and looking fabulous.

It is, but it was also kind cool sending certified mail to the FBI, felt kinda like some kind of federal informant! lol

I'm getting used to all the pain involved with transitioning. Beauty is pain, so definitely worth enduring. :D

Hi Sarah,

Congratulations on making the big change! I am surprised that it's so complicated there.

For most folks, it might be easier to move to Washington where the name change is done with nothing more than proof of residency (a utility bill with your address on it is proof) and a court hearing.

The name change was the biggest part of transition for me. And that empowerment of a debit card with my name on it - pure joy!

Enjoy your freedom!

Love, Megan

Guest Sarah Faith

Thanks Megan, my experience with the name change process here so far as been actually really good. Everyone has been really very nice about it, even the police officer that did my finger printing was really nice about it when she asked what I was changing my name too lol.

Had my physical today too, first breast exam ever! Looks like I'm healthy though. :D

Guest Kylie2112

Jenny

Well it's not really a transgender specific requirement. It's that way for anyone who would like to change their name, the state is really paranoid about people changing their name to avoid the law and to avoid debts.

What's really problematic though is that in the state of Colorado any criminal record is enough to disqualify someone to change their name I believe, so any transpeople with any criminal history even if its ancient history would be unable to change their name for transition. Which is sad.

For Maine, I had to send notices to anyone whom I owed $10k+. That was it for name change. Gender marker on my license was simply have my therapist fill out a standard form and give it to the DMV. All my legal documents (other than my WoW account and Kohl's charge card, because they have some ludicrous demands to change your name...) are under Kylie now :D

Well, other than a few personal tools (that I had my name and phone extension on) that I let a guy borrow a while ago that turned up today...and prompted one of the new apprentices to see the same last name and ask, "Kylie, who's Bob _____? Related?" All I could muster without laughing was "Nah, just some dorky guy that used to work here." I still don't think he knows :)

Guest Sarah Faith

Well, other than a few personal tools (that I had my name and phone extension on) that I let a guy borrow a while ago that turned up today...and prompted one of the new apprentices to see the same last name and ask, "Kylie, who's Bob _____? Related?" All I could muster without laughing was "Nah, just some dorky guy that used to work here." I still don't think he knows :)

Nice! He probably would never guess the pretty lady he knows as Kylie would have ever been anyone other than Kylie. :) Still that's an awesome way to respond. :D

As for the battle.net account. I actually often joke with people that the REAL reason Im changing my name is to change my Real ID name lol. I think all you need though is to scan and send them a copy of the court order for the name change. I will make blizzard change it though lol.

Guest JazzySmurf

You know... I was recently at a US Citizen and Immigration Service (USCIS) office getting fingerprinted for a new green card, and everything went as smoothly as I can imagine... In addition to your experience with the police officer, and other stories of things at DMVs, it seems like the people at these places are becoming increasingly OK with trans-related things :-)

Guest Sarah Faith

I agree Jazzy, I actually think that it's being more accepted in the general population then it ever has before, but there are still also a lot of people out there who aren't at all okay with it.

I had a pretty good experience picking up my DR2083 form to change sex designation the lady was really really nice about it. :) Everyone there was actually, but the state your in and Colorado are both pretty open minded states, I'm sure experiences might not be so good in other more socially conservative states. :(

Guest Kylie2112

Nice! He probably would never guess the pretty lady he knows as Kylie would have ever been anyone other than Kylie. :) Still that's an awesome way to respond. :D

As for the battle.net account. I actually often joke with people that the REAL reason Im changing my name is to change my Real ID name lol. I think all you need though is to scan and send them a copy of the court order for the name change. I will make blizzard change it though lol.

You also have to scan a printed form with a dated periodical (aka, newspaper). Which is great...I don't own a printer to make a hard copy of the form, and I can't get to battle.net at work >.< Also, I get all my news online.

Guest Sarah Faith

Well had my physical last friday, just thought that I would share.. I'm in excellent health!

Even after years of being super obese at 350 pounds and such (I'm below 200 now) and all the unhealthy eating the doctor said my cholesterol was perfect! So fortunately I'm not going to die of a heart attack any time soon! :D

Guest LizMarie

When you're younger you can recover from such things more quickly and with less repercussions usually. It's good to hear you have no longer term health problems!

Guest JeepGirl90

Congrats!! this is great news, however I will say waiting for the judgement is one of the most nerve racking, but exciting, experiences ever...

-Christina

Guest Sarah Faith

Thanks! It's definitely a relief for me since I hadn't had complete bloodwork done in forever. I kept imagining the worst, so I'm happy to know that I didn't permanently destroy my health. :D