• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Clothes for us larger ladies

Guest Gerilynn

Guest Gerilynn

First if this is in the wrong place I am sorry I could not think of any other place for it.

I am on the tall end of the line at 6ft 5in and finding clothes has been a real challenge. My wife sent me a link to an online store that makes clothes to order. They were fantastic and fit beautifully. I will get pictures up someday soon.

Only concern is they make them in India and I was a little worried about working conditions and all. The name of the company is Eshakti.

Reviews are mixed online but I went ahead and purchased two dresses and a top, All fit wonderfully and seem very well made. Price is a factor and they are not very cheep. Until I learn to sew I decided to pay a little. Make sure you get help measuring yourself it is hard to do alone.

Lovely shopping.

Gerilynn

Guest Lizzie McTrucker

There are some companies that do carry tall sizes. Lane Bryant comes to mind, as I do most of my clothes shopping there. You can find clothes at Walmart, too, but I don't like how much of their girl clothes have really short sleeves to them and usually they're not long enough (for me). Really short cap sleeves are not flattering to big girls with big arms.

Actually that's two things I now look at when I go clothes shopping: overall length and sleeve length.

• Forum Moderator

Hi Gerilynn

I'm 6'4" myself and a size 14, know what you mean. I suffer in the shoe dept, the selection in ladies size 15 is pretty sparse. I cry looking at all the neato shoes that stop in size 11. Have to agree with Lizzie, sleeves are a biggie for me too, the right length sleeve to cover upper arms really helps, HRT has slimmed me down quite a bit, still feel I need to cover up, 3/4 sleeves work wonders. Perhaps you have seen this site http://www.tallwomen.org/ This web site has been one of my starting places for searches on the Internet. Someday if you happen to get to the Seattle area, try visiting 2 Big Blondes consignment store. I have found real treasures there http://www.twobigblondes.com/ very reasonable prices, wonderful sales ladies. Look forward to a pix of your newest dresses

Hugs

Cindy -

Guest Gerilynn

The nice thing about this place was the custom sleaves and deciding if you want them or not. I do shop at Lane Bryant I love them but my torso is too long for most tops and the sleaves are too small. HRT seems to be helping on that problem but I do nto think it will change my torso length.

God I know about the shoe problem I thought I was going to have to live in dressy mens boots and sandls. I know of a few online specialty stores that have ladies shoes in very large sizes I am a 14.5 or 15. Finding fun styles is hard. I did break down and buy some cowboy boots with decent heels. They look great with jeans or some dresses.

I plan on traveling up to Seattle soon and want to hit 2 big blonds. Thank you both

Hugs

Gerilynn

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Velanna

I'd imagine Lane Bryant would be a good place to look through as already suggested by Lizzie. One of the beauties of women's clothing (more so jeans) is that, say, a size 14 can fit taller women or shorter but more husky women! Especially if they are made with some spandex in them (gotta love Faded Glory!). I don't quite face the difficulty you and Cynthia face being that I'm 5'11 and size 12 shoe, but finding a size 12 shoe does come with some difficulty, too! :( Best of luck to you all!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest CassieX

Hi Gerilynn,

I too like Lane Bryant, but recently discovered Torrid. It's like Lane Bryants younger, hipper sister. :) They have a much trendier selection of clothes than Lane Bryant, though it almost looks like they were made by the same factory. For example, 2 weeks ago, I got a pair of gorgeous Aqua-Blue shorts from Lane Bryant, then went to Torrid and found the identical shorts made into cutoffs. Now I am barely resisting temptation to buy them too!

On their website I noticed that they have several locations in Oregon so maybe you can check them out in person. They have a large discount rack area in their stores. Their shoes go up to size 13.

Good luck with your clothes hunting!

Cassie

• Admin

I just dropped some cash at Dress Barn for two tops and two pair of slacks. Their selection is more geared to daily office wear and early evening wear if you accessorize, but they go up to 4X. About 40% of my nicer day wear comes from them.

Guest Velanna

I took a look at dress barn and wow! They have really awesome selections of great looking tops! And the best part is it's all relatively affordable! 25-35 dollar tops that look like that is a great deal in my book! Thanks for the suggestion, Vicky! Great online store!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest LizMarie

On the topic of shoes (one of my favorite topics!), I've discovered that thrift stores are an amazing resource. You can never predict what will show up in a thrift store but quite often things in size 12-13 (my sizes, depending on the specific shoe and manufacturer) do appear. I also have two girlfriends who also shop thrift stores who also look out for me. In those cases, grabbing a pair of shoes for $6 and shipping them to me for $3-$4 more is something both they can afford and I can afford as well.

• 1 month later...

I am not a large girl but I have a very close friend (cis girl) who is "fluffy" as I like to put it and she buys most of her cloths via catalog from "Women within", "Roamans" and "Blairs" I love looking at her catalogs, so many cute cloths, but nothing in my size, they all start out at size 12.

Hope this helps out even if just a little :)

Kattja Katt >^..^< Mew

• Admin

For shoes, remember that some ethnic groups of women have larger feet but still look pretty. (African American & Hispanic) There are stores near the concentration of those ethnic neighborhoods that carry larger sizes consistently. I have several areas near me like that in West Los Angeles, and nearer, in Pasadena / Altadena CA. Shops like Payless and other mainline shoe stores have the sizes in the store. I have had no problems in any of those stores and always feel welcomed.

• 3 months later...
Guest Brenda Hailey

This was a very helpfull thread with several new bookmarks added to my PC.

Being 6'3" 190 pnds makes it a little dificult finding things to fit but makes it easier not trying all the clothes I want and cant have because they are to small.

I tend to go straight to the ends of the racks just to see if they even have the BIG XL sizes,,,most of the time yes but often no the cutsie styles are always smaller it seems.

I did pretty good lately with buying alot of clothes to replenish past purging mistakes with having only two misfit size mistakes out of all the shopping I did.

I learned to be careful with two piece sets because the tops and bottoms vary quite a bit and if I buy the set with the top only size the bottom is usually way out of wack. luckily this only happened once before learning that lesson. In some instances because of my size I would have to buy two different sets just to get the size that fits me.

Shopping for those guy clothes was so easy yet so boring, I actually get excited about shopping now, I always used to think I hated it ,until of course I realized I have been shopping for all the wrong things...lol

These new clothes stores should keep me busy for a while.

Thanks Girls.

Brenda Hailey

Guest Megan_Lynn

This was a very helpfull thread with several new bookmarks added to my PC.

Being 6'3" 190 pnds makes it a little dificult finding things to fit but makes it easier not trying all the clothes I want and cant have because they are to small.

I tend to go straight to the ends of the racks just to see if they even have the BIG XL sizes,,,most of the time yes but often no the cutsie styles are always smaller it seems.

I did pretty good lately with buying alot of clothes to replenish past purging mistakes with having only two misfit size mistakes out of all the shopping I did.

I learned to be careful with two piece sets because the tops and bottoms vary quite a bit and if I buy the set with the top only size the bottom is usually way out of wack. luckily this only happened once before learning that lesson. In some instances because of my size I would have to buy two different sets just to get the size that fits me.

Shopping for those guy clothes was so easy yet so boring, I actually get excited about shopping now, I always used to think I hated it ,until of course I realized I have been shopping for all the wrong things...lol

These new clothes stores should keep me busy for a while.

Thanks Girls.

Brenda Hailey

All I am gonna say is I would love to be only 190 lbs..