• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

summer gender-neutral clothes

Guest Natalie64567

Guest Natalie64567

For those who don't know I'm a MTF trans-sexual who recently found out about myself. I'm going to try to go on HRT soon but not wearing female style clothes yet IN PUBLIC. I want to gently cross over the gender line as far as apperance goes and gender-neutral clothes is the best start. Right now my attaire of black pants and black rock/metal shirt gives off the wrong impression that I'm a punk kid when actually Im kind, sensitive, and silly and some even called me cute. So what would some good gender-neutral clothes for summer be? Maybe some tips from others with past experience would be great too :-)

• Admin

If you look carefully in both departments, you will see that a lot of shorts for one gender will go over fine to the other. Many women's shorts simply have the zipper on the opposite side of the men's, so buy the girls style and dollars to donuts, no one will give a doggone. Go over to a sporting wear type of site such as REI or Sport Chalet and compare the clothing for women and men, often they show the two genders together, and the major variation for the girls is going to be the colors. Tops that are more pastel denote female, but not always. Leave the tails of your favorite guy sport shirt out and an extra button at the collar undone and boy becomes girl. That should give you a start at least.

I wore women's jeans and cross trainers long before i came out, nobody noticed and if they did they didn't say anything, i work for a major discount clothing chain in receiving, many women's tee's are pretty gender neutral as are some shorts and many women's flip flops, we started seeing what looked like women's Capri's for men, you just need to use your own judgement as to how gender neutral or feminine you want to look.

Paula

Guest Jamie_cd

I have to agree Paula. Women's jeans and tees are kinda neutral so that should be a good start. I've been wearing girls v neck tees to work which are obviously women's and no one has said a word to me. Granted I chose ones that are more on the girl side. Flip flops are gender neutral along with converse chuck Taylor shoes. I'm a huge Nike fan and have a bunch of pairs of bright colorful ones for men but they look very similar to the women's ones.

Guest Kaylee234

I haven't worn a thread of men's clothes in a long time. (Ok not entirely true, I still have a few men's shirts but they are purpley colors and I like them)

I work in a pseudo-industrial environment so jeans and t-shirts are the dress of the day. Women's jeans look very similar to men's unless they have fancy embroidery. (And I think they fit better) Women's shirts are pretty much the same unless you get really lacy or frilly ones. They just are cut differently.

And many brands of shoes sell unisex sizes: Vans, Converse, etc. Just don't get the sparkly pink ones. (I would get them, but I'm no longer trying to be stealthy :D )

~ Kay

You could always try going Scottish or Irish. Kilts may be a mans item, but it still looks like a skirt to me!

No offence intended to the Irish or Scottish though.

• Admin

Google Utilikilt I have one and its better than shorts for a lot of our hot summer activities here in So. Cal. At the Highland Games and Music Festival here, there are bands that wear the kilts, and both genders look great. I won't tell you to skip the underwear if you have them on, but ---

Guest Natalie64567

You could always try going Scottish or Irish. Kilts may be a mans item, but it still looks like a skirt to me!

No offence intended to the Irish or Scottish though.

nope german and bohemian lol.
Guest rowyn

I like to get my clothes at thrift stores. I always find women's clothes that are pretty gender neutral. In my case, I think some people look more closely at what I wear, but only because I shave my arms and hands and wear a woman's watch (albeit a black and silver sporty style one).

• 1 month later...
Guest Caliana

I'm in the early stages of coming out myself, so I try to keep it subtle. I like to wear spaghetti string tops. I wear them out and about, but I wear short sleeve linen shirts over them. If I'm in an adventurous mood, I'll leave it unbuttoned, if not I'll button it up and leave a little showing at the top. The shirts are tan or pastel in color. Works for now! That way I can be out wearing mostly female clothing and hardly anyone will notice. From there you can start pushing the gender line more to the feminine.

I like Rowyn's idea of wearing a lady's watch. Will try that myself!

Guest Clair Dufour

Most womens clothes these days are unisex and even the frilly seem to be losing favor with women. The big box stores call them Basics. About the only thing that will set some people off are men in skirts. Even kilts will draw strange looks.

Overall I think womens clothes look and fit better and are much lighter for summer wear. One of my favorite tricks is to take an oversize shirt and knot it around the waist. Looks very girly and helps hide the male upper body.

• 3 weeks later...