• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Chosen name and work?

Guest rexxmarksley

Guest rexxmarksley

Hi everyone,

I've been thinking about applying for jobs soon, once I am in a stage of recovering from anxiety that I can attend every time.

However, by that time I /should/ be out to my parents (I've been saying this for months haha) and hopefully going by my chosen name and not my birth name.

I was wondering if on a CV/Resume, can you put your chosen name alongside your birth name. For example:

Birthname: ______

Chosen name: Aaron

Thanks

Hope you're all well :)

• Forum Moderator

I would presume that you would need to use your legal or given name on an application. Usually a preferred name comes up in conversation although i'm sure you could add it if there is room. If it about "announcing" gender preference that may better be done in person as well.

Hugs,

Charlie

• Forum Moderator

Hi Aaron,

I would answer why not list your chosen name ? If you have nothing to cover up, and would be preferred to be called Aaron (nice name) why not start right off the bat with it. Of course for payroll, background checks, and the like, legal name is required.

For myself, I have begun to use my chosen name at work with certain folks I work with closely, including my boss. I have been working at the same place for over 28 years however, I am not going to erase the memory of what was. I am easing them to using my chosen name ahead of the pending legal change. So far I have had no issues. I am drafting my coming out letter at work now for the larger audience, won't be long. I have nothing to hide, it's just me.

Best of luck

Cindy -