• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

The Kristin Beck Effect

Guest Kaylee234

So by now everyone has heard about Kristin Beck, the ex-Navy SEAL who just came out and published her memoirs.

And by everyone, I mean apparently *everyone* has heard about it.

It was on the front page of our local paper yesterday, and I suppose likely featured on local news (I don't watch TV) and it seems like everyone I work with watched it and suddenly a light went on and they connected the dots in their head: "I work with someone like that!"

Topic of the day today was Kristin Beck, gender variance, sexuality vs gender, and everyone seemed to want to know what my opinion on those matters was. It was strange and surreal and I guess as one of the two people who I was out to said, "Your secret's out now"

Looks like it's time to schedule that meeting with my supervisor and HR.

Has anyone else seen anything like this as fallout from Kristen's coming out?

~ Kay

Guest Sarah Faith

No not really, beyond seeing it on a few news sites and here of course no one I know really cares one way or another. Though they wouldn't mention it to me if they did have opinions on it but no it hasn't really had any effect on my life. Really I'm not sure why its big news at all anyways, but that's just me I suppose.

Glad to hear that it may have raised some awareness with your co-workers though. :)

Hugs,

Sarah

• Forum Moderator

This might be another wave that helps. She is a sympathetic character and we need that in the press. I've had amazing acceptance in this area. I certainly wouldn't want that kind of press but maybe her book will sell better. It might also be a good opening for you Kay to have that chat.

Hugs,

Charlie

Guest Loeri

Can't say I have. I haven't come out to anyone living in this state much less work... That said I haven't even heard mention of the book outside the trans groups I follow. Hope things work out for you Kay!

Guest sophia.gentry58

Kaylee, A Colleague of mine, that I had just come out to last week came to me today to ask me if I had heard about Kristin, of course I told her I had. She was really excited to hear about a high profile former elite military member announcing herself as a transgender woman. My friend is very much a Christian and yet she is not only supportive of my transition but believes that Kristin's story is extremely positive for our cause.

Sarah, the reason this is a big deal is because it has the potential to help leaders within and outside the military see how transgenders can effectively serve in the military; for if a transgender can serve as a Navy Seal, the most elite of all the special ops organizations in America and do so with distinction then transgenders can serve anywhere. Of course there will be some who will not connect the dots, but those, and that will be most people, will grasp the concept that Kristin just didn't step outside the military after 20 faithful years of service and bam!, she becomes a transwoman. Most people with half a brain tied behind their backs will get it, that Kristin had been a transwoman probably throughout the entirety of her service in the Navy. Armed with that kind of knowledge I believe will one day and I think sooner rather than later open doors for transgendered individuals to serve openly across all branches of the military. This is why it is a big deal, and when it happens in the military, a place where many still see it as a man's military, it will open many more doors for us in the civilian sector.

Sophia

• Admin

I've been retired for four months, but I was out to many folks long before that. What some of my former colleagues told me was that, because of me, when they did see a story like that (of Beck, or someone similar), they became hyper aware of it, and understood it way, way better than they ever would have before. In short, I had opened their eyes to a world they knew nothing about. That is what being out in the world can do for all of us.

As I've said many times, when we come out, we become ambassadors for our community, like it or not. It's something I will never regret doing. I hope none of you who choose this path will regret it, either.

HUGS

Carolyn Marie

Guest Sarah Faith

As I've said many times, when we come out, we become ambassadors for our community, like it or not. It's something I will never regret doing. I hope none of you who choose this path will regret it, either.

HUGS

Carolyn Marie

Well it's not so much that I regret it.. I do like being able to help others understand a bit more, but when it comes to my closest friends I just really really don't wanna spend more time talking about trans stuff with them. I feel like my transition, my being trans, trans related issues has been talked about to death between us. For me when I see a story like this I become acutely aware of how aware others are of it because of me, and I know that inevitably someone wants to start a conversation based on it. A conversation I'm not interested in having completely out of the blue simply because it was in the news. I just honestly don't ever plan on reading this womans memoirs so there isn't much I could say about it anyways.

I don't mind being an ambassador and sharing my experiences with people who ask. and I am always willing to discuss pressing trans issues.. but someones memoirs.. eh I dunno not really something I find interesting enough to talk about with people. Just how I feel though.

Hugs,

Sarah

Guest sophia.gentry58

Sarah honey, I think it's perfectly fine how you feel. I think the news about Kristin and her memoirs is going to be more insightful for those out there who have not a clue about us and that's why I said earlier why I believe this pivotal and monumental event will become a sea change for the betterment of us in particular and America in general.

Sophia