• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

L.A. PRIDE: Wonderful Experience With Some "Buts"

VickySGV

• Admin

The biggest of the "Buts" is that I am exhausted both physically and emotionally. The other was the traffic mess I went through to get there.

I went to West Hollywood CA (WeHo) this afternoon for the Los Angeles Pride Parade and Festival. I was blown away by the traffic situation on the way, and never did get to see the parade itself which by rumor (and a post in another forum) was supposed to have another one of our Mod's in it riding a float. I managed to miss than, but went to the actual festival which was at the end of the parade route.

It is amazing what your mind can do to you when it overloads with sight, sound, and your other three senses. Since the day was nice and warm, there were gay males in the tightest of swim shorts, and maybe a surfer necklace, and their money and ID cards stuffed in their socks and nothing else. In addition to that the tattooed skin that was visible could be measured in square miles. I got to where I no longer processed the rainbow colored "faux hawk" hairdos on both male and female. A half hour into my wandering about, rainbow tie dyed outfits, rainbow panty hose, five inch platform heels, 3 foot high wigs, guys holding hands with guys, likewise girl to girl hand holding and dancing, all began to seem dreadfully NORMAL and nothing to take note of. In fact, when I finally left and went out to dinner, the sight of a heterosexual couple doing a low grade make-out session in the line at the restaurant some miles from West Hollywood, seemed to be more out of place in my mind. I had to rejoin the real world so I found out. I actually felt that I belonged in the WeHo crowd though and am still super happy that I went.

I was actually in the festival area for three and half hours.

NA, CMA (Crystal Meth Anonymous), AA, CODA, and some other programs related to addiction were well represented and as a member of the recovery tribe, I had fun talking program with the people in the booths. Several programs had mini clinics for HIV and STD testing,

I was pleasantly surprised that Lambda Legal, a GLB legal organization had a whole table load of pamphlets in regard to Transgender legal issues on a whole range of TG subjects such as name change, work protection, even marriage issues. Since Lambda Legal is a nationwide organization, the stuff I picked up was for more than just California.

One booth was directed at Transgender people, and had resources for HRT counseling and literature on the dangers of DIY hormones. They actually had pictures of DVT victims that I would not want to show here on our forums, too sad. The mildest was one very pretty trans woman, but she was in a wheelchair since her entire left side was paralyzed from the blood clot that had gotten into her brain.

The Trevor Project which we sometimes mention here was also represented, and the person I talked to there did know about our TG Chat, and while Trevor Project will take TG clients, my contact did like the idea that I had recently told a TG person to refer a bisexual friend to them if needed.

Lutheran, Episcopal, MCC churches and Dignity Alliance from the Catholic church were all represented and I ended up with a T shirt from the Episcopal booth, since thats what I am.

I signed several petitions and letters to political leaders on a variety of subjects. One was the FDA exclusion of gay men from donating blood, another dealt with California tax exemption revocation for organizations that discriminate against GLBT people (an admitted shot at the BSA).

Needless to say, I am pooped!! As I said above though, I felt good about being there and I found that one on one, the GLBT groups I met with do take real interest in the "T", its just that some of their people need to meet us and get to know us, the same as the general population.

• Forum Moderator

So which one of our mods was riding in da float- CM?

• Admin

I'm glad you were able to go, Vicky, but sorry you missed the parade. It was fun to see. Lots of folks, for sure. I liked the transwoman drill team best, and the Native American dancers.

HUGS

Carolyn Marie

Guest AlyTheGreatAngel

I couldn't go, but I hope 2 see both of you ladies at trans pride! I'd love to finally meet you both in person! :)

• Forum Moderator

Rest dear you need it. It sounds like great fun. I met the head of Lambda Legal and it is a wonderful legal group helping the whole spectrum both locally and nationally. I imagine that you had great crowds.

New Hope Pa has a big parade as well but i must admit i have yet to go. Maybe next year. You inspire me.

Hugs,

Charlie

Thank you for the update, Vicky.

Sounds like you had a great time inspite of missing the actual parade.

"

the sight of a heterosexual couple doing a low grade make-out session in the line at the restaurant some miles from West Hollywood, seemed to be more out of place

......"

Thank you for the laugh as well. :thumbsup:

Huggs, :wub:

Joann

Thanks for posting the report Vicky! I felt like I was riding with you and experiencing what you experienced :)

Michelle

Guest Clair Dufour

Yes its June again which is Pride Month and most LGBT festivals, picnics and marches are held in the US. Besides remembering sunscreen and planning where to park we also meed to make sure we have everything we need in our Drag Bag regardless if were going there dressed or changing there. Going with friends who know the scene is the best way to go. For the big ones having Lauras meetup spots would be great?

Whether you dress to them or not is not the point. The point is to see your NOT alone! Not to mention supporting your future. Its well worth your time, effort and money to go to one.

This weekend is Denver and I think Chicago. Toward the end of the month are SF and NYC. Check the internet for the ones near you.

Vicky

Glad to hear you had a good time even if it was difficult getting there.

St Louis is June 28th to 30th. Other than the San Francisco Pride Parade, its been awhile and I'm really looking forward to the St Louis Pride Festival at the end of the month. Kathryn

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Who's Online   7 Members, 0 Anonymous, 68 Guests (See full list)

• Ivy
    • Lenneth
    • awkward-yet-sweet
    • VickySGV
    • Mmindy
    • Adrianna Danielle
    • Vidanjali