• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

ENDA Approved by Senate Committee

Carolyn Marie

• Admin

The fact that this got a couple of Republican votes is a good sign. Even if it passes the Senate, which in my view is still a long shot, it's chances in the House are about the same as that of the proverbial snowball in Hades.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-gay-discrimination-20130711,0,2389258.story

Carolyn Marie

• Forum Moderator

I love the fact that this is coming up as an issue but i'm afraid you are right. The house republicans appear to be all trying to be more conservative than their fellows in a great rush to the bottom. In this climate it's time to sit back and hope that a slow sanity might come into Washington. It seems it might happen but time will hopefully change a few more minds.

Hugs,

Charlie

Guest sophia.gentry58

I went to the "Traditional Values Coalition" that Ms Lafferty is the President of and who labeled us as having an unhealthy Psychological condition. Here is in total my message to her:

Ms. Lafferty: I fully can understand why you feel parents should be able to expect a safe learning environment for their child; dittos. However, I can't help but be reminded of a time not too long ago that a small group of minorities (as compared to mainstream America) thought to be intellectually inferior, not far removed from the primate should not be considered as equal citizens and thus denied the right to do all sorts of things to include teach your children. Believe me Ms. Lafferty I was done more harm by my racist 2nd grade teacher who called me the N word in front of the whole class (because I dare show intelligence above my white counterparts) than I ever could have been damaged by a teacher deciding to change genders. I was damaged in my junior high school history class where my white teacher in a predominantly white school for one hour each week for an entire year would show national geographic films of indigenous Africans, particularly females who were cladded with nothing more than a bottom covering; all the while my teacher said absolutely nothing in the way of teaching or even chastising the white students who giggled, snickered, and made snide racial remarks each and every time. You and parents like you have more to worry from some straight male or female preying on your sons and daughters sexually than you will ever have to worry about a transgender damaging your child. By the way, the unhealthy psychological persons you speak of get that way not by transitioning from male to female or vice versa, but because they attempt to keep such thoughts buried deep inside them until they exhibit unhealthy psychological behaviors. Also, do some research to bear out what I am saying. Furthermore, you'll also note in your research that a person with gender dysphoria is a result of brain development, not psychological development.

One last point; I am a conservative, have been ever since I began listening to Rush Limbaugh in 1989/90. I know that puts me in the minority as an African American, but I wholeheartedly believe in the constitution. If we all truly believed such, that we are all created equal and deserve to be treated as such, you wouldn't have to be worry about trying to protect your children from your fears. If you haven't guessed it by now, I am also transsexual. I would ask that you all try not to be like the Sadducees and Pharisees of old whom Jesus admonished that those whom they constantly criticized as being perverts and sinners would get to heaven before those pretentious religious folks. Food for thought!

Sophia Gentry

I doubt that Ms. Lafferty will receive this in a purely spiritual fashion, her religion will probably get in the way of that, but I do hope that she can put aside her negative emotions long enough to see the logic of what I had to offer and how spurious her and her organization's argument really is.

Sophia

Guest Mia J

At least it passed the Senate. It will take a miracle to pass the house but it is a start.

That was a great response Sophia.

Mia

Guest LizMarie

One thing I've learned about people, Sophia, especially public figures, is that once they've publicly taken a position on something, they often see the backlash of admitting error as worse than admitting the error so they cling to their original position, regardless factual evidence or clear argument. I think that what you wrote is powerful and I thank you for writing it but I don't expect you to change her mind.

• Who's Online   6 Members, 0 Anonymous, 140 Guests (See full list)

• Jet McCartney
    • RaineOnYourParade
    • Stefi
    • Ashley0616
    • LucyF
    • awkward-yet-sweet