• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Clueless about fashion

Guest AliceHakurei

Guest AliceHakurei

I'm kind of clueless about how to go about choosing clothes for coming out as a woman. I mean my mom says I dress like an older woman, and I don't really know what girls in their 20s are wearing. I know I don't want to wear anything too skimpy or revealing, but I don't want to look out of place either. Any advice?

Guest Maria_B

Casual is the go around me in Australia

Jeans and tank tops, simple dresses, simple skirts and tops. Solid bright colours are big at the mo.

Guest Lizzie McTrucker

Go to the stores girls in their 20s shop at. They're all over the malls. Abercrombie & Fitch, Aeorpostle, Gap, Old Navy, Charlotte Ruse, Wet Seal, etc.

Guest Sarah Faith

Go to the stores girls in their 20s shop at. They're all over the malls. Abercrombie & Fitch, Aeorpostle, Gap, Old Navy, Charlotte Ruse, Wet Seal, etc.

:o As a girl in my 20s I can say I don't shop at any of those stores well maybe Old Navy they do have some nice stuff..

It really depends on what you like, I think observing girls your own age is a huge help but ultimately you have to figure out what YOUR style is. I had a vague sense of my style but it took actually going to the mall and just browsing from store to store. I personally found that I like stores like New York and Company, Buckle, Hot Topic, H&M, and Old navy all had some really good stuff for me. :)

• Forum Moderator

Going to the mall alone is a great education in current fashion. Just check out what the other girls your age are wearing. That being said i usually wear skirts while most women my age seem to normally wear pants some have offered me their skirts as they never wear them anymore. In the long run you will find your style. It is great you have your mothers help to guide you as well.

Hugs,

Charlie

Guest DianeATL

I think that there is a second part to observing which I have done for years about beauty, and now am starting to do with fashion. When I see someone who is really pretty or catches my eye, I don't stop there. I ask myself why? What is it about her stood out? Sometimes it is just natural symmetry or lines but other times I see how she has made the most of what she has and I try to imagine her if she did not have a flattering haircut or appropriate make up.

Same goes with fashion. "She's cute" "why?" What is about her outfit that works so well? Are the colors well matched with her skin tones? Do the lines and cut of her clothes show off the best of her body style? Maybe it's her smile, she is just a happy pleasant person and could wear a potato sack and look good because of her attitude. I am not an expert, far from it, but as you can tell I am analytical. So trying to break down the "rules" or "patterns" of putting fashion together successfully helps me build some personal guidelines. For example I know which colors to stay away from with my skin.

Of course you can use the same logic for the "don'ts" too. When someone isn't looking their best, I try to break it down too.

Just my 2 cents from another clueless fashionista.

Guest Kaylee234

The Chic Fashionista has a great "Fashion 101" that teaches you about your body style, shape, face shape, eyebrows, colors that work with your complexion, and more information about clothing and how you can use it to emphasize or deemphasize your features to creat a style that works for you. There's more information there than you can digest in one reading. Bookmark the web page and refer to it often as you discover what suits you.

~ Kay

Guest DianeATL

The Chic Fashionista has a great "Fashion 101" that teaches you about your body style, shape, face shape, eyebrows, colors that work with your complexion, and more information about clothing and how you can use it to emphasize or deemphasize your features to creat a style that works for you. There's more information there than you can digest in one reading. Bookmark the web page and refer to it often as you discover what suits you.

~ Kay

Thanks Kay - that is good information